Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Hello 08 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/21, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello 08 Mustang

Hello, I'm new to the community. This is my first Mustang, a 2008 Convertible. I'm having issues figuring out my front amplifier. Car didn't have a fuse for it under the hood, bought the fuse & the fuse blew before even being pushed down. Just simple contact made the prongs spark & blew the fuse instantly. Radio works. Speakers work. I'm thinking it's a bad ground for it to have so much current. What are your thoughts? & also where is the front amplifier on this car?
Old 8/14/21, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

First, there's four different audio systems available for the '08: Standard, Shaker 500, Shaker 1000, and the Navigation, and/or Sirius XM setup, all of which have slightly different head units, amps, wiring... So that will be very important to know so that someone can get you the right info, perhaps.

Second, the best thing I can do for you on this is to recommend you get the correct 2008 shop manual which will have the wiring diagrams in it. That will then allow you to do the diagnostics by tracing the wiring and you'll have that fuse figured out in no time.

However, if it's a base, shaker 500 or 1000, it should be *similar* to (but perhaps not exactly like) the wiring of the 2005 Mustang, and so I present to you that wiring in case it might help:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Audio%2...Navigation.pdf

I'd recommend chasing down the wiring itself, as it's not as likely the box in question is shorting but the wiring itself is. There could have been a chafing causing the shorting to happen, or a rodent got in your wires, or water/corrosion...

As far as locations, everything is in the head unit itself. There's no 'front amp', although that could mean the 'main' amp... which is the amp in the head unit for the front and rear main speakers. Then there are two amps for the Shaker 500 and 1000 located behind the driver footwell kick panel, under the dash, for the two door subwoofers, and for the 1000 there's an additional two amps behind the subwoofer box in the trunk driving those. Navigation and Sirius systems would have extra connectors/wiring for the two related antennas.

I hope that helps, and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Cloverbell (8/15/21)
Old 8/15/21, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks houtex that actually helps a lot. & sorry it took me a bit to figure out how to reply. 😅 I do have the Shaker 500. I'll be looking out for the shop manual. By the way do you have a wiring diagram for the horn too? I'm pretty sure water got to the wire for it near the junction box but I'm having issues finding a wiring diagram.
Old 8/16/21, 11:34 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your very first Mustang.