Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

first time Mustang owner -

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/16, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,

My wife got a 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT today, we actually set out to find me a pickup, I wasn't even thinking Mustangs, but we weren't finding anything I liked, so I mentioned to my wife that if she found something she liked, I'd take her old Jeep, so now I'm the not so proud owner of a 2005 Jeep Liberty (I hate that thing) but my wife is extremely happy with her 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT.

so I figured I better hit the internet, and find a mustang friendly forum and join up because that's where you find help and advice on stuff like this.

I belong to another forum, for the Jeep (those guys have been a huge help with advice on how to keep the thing alive) so I was hoping I'd have the same kind of luck here with some expert advice on how to take care of, repair and maintain this Mustang, and a place to go should any problems arise with this new to us car.

My names Stu, and first off - does anyone have any advice or comments for a first time owner? is there anything I should know or look out for with this new car to save myself some headaches down the road, any maintenance ideas or possible problems to look for?

thanks in advance - Stuart
Attached Thumbnails first time Mustang owner --12471567_10206556964421855_2448788967918855414_o.jpg   first time Mustang owner --12466016_10206556971022020_6800124816961454605_o.jpg  
Old 1/3/16, 07:29 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by grandpa mustang
My names Stu, and first off - does anyone have any advice or comments for a first time owner? is there anything I should know or look out for with this new car to save myself some headaches down the road, any maintenance ideas or possible problems to look for?

First off, welcome aboard and congrats on the Mustang Stu. Much luck with it.

As a first-time Mustang GT owner myself (black '14 too), I've had no problems at all since I took 'er home in May 2014. You'll hear about engine ticking here on this forum, along with hood paint blistering, the air bag recall, and sticky shifter issues if you have a manual. I've experienced none of those problems. My last six cars were Fords and I've had nothing but positive experience. There are others here who may disagree.

It'd help if we knew a bit more about your car....

Mileage?
Is it garage kept?
Daily driver?
What part of the country are you in?
Auto or stick?
Options?
Do you plan on modding it?

That last point is what most of us will want to know. Every single one of us are experts at spending your money, so beware. If you are planning some changes, you might want to check out the Black Mustang thread to see what others have done with their "dark horses".

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-stang-505893/

My hot button is maintaining mine cosmetically. The worst thing one can do with a black car is to neglect it. Hopefully you have the time and patience to stay on top of it. Don't let it get to the point where it's an unwelcome chore to clean it. Black especially requires extra TLC. Make sure you have the proper cleaning supplies, especially a good stash of quality microfiber cloths. Most of us here have a small fortune invested in all sorts of chemicals, cleaners, and polishing products. There are numerous threads here and on other forums which offer technique advice, and there as many opinions as there are types of waxes.

Nothing in the auto world looks as stunning and beautiful as a well detailed and swirl free black car. And nothing looks as horrible as a black car that's not regularly cleaned, polished, waxed and detailed. That's the extent of my advice.....for now.

Enjoy your ride....and fire away with questions, and any tips you can offer as well.
Old 1/3/16, 02:31 PM

thanks for the welcome.

it's not garage kept right now, but we do have a shop, so I'll probably make room in the shop for my wife to park it.

it's going to be a daily driver

it has 27,000 miles on it.

we are in Oregon near Portland

it's an automatic

I know so little about mustangs that I have no idea what options it has, I don't know what came standard.

someone supposedly told the salesman that it's somewhat of a rare car because of something it has, something about the stereo or something? and beins how that came from a car salesman, I'm inclined to not believe the guy.

I'm not planning on doing any mods, at this point, I just want to get it paid off, than we'll talk more.

today I'm going through a serious case of shell shock or buyers remorse or something, just have a nasty pit in my stomach, I need to get over that.

I'm moving up to this car from the old Subaru Loyale in the photo, that car has 240,000 miles on it and is in extremely bad shape, and only worth about 300 bucks. and is typical of what I've always owned. I gave up working on it months ago simply because it's such an old worn out piece of junk.

so I think my buyers remorse problem is simply that I've never owned or bought anything like this before and it's certainly the most expensive and newest car I've ever bought.

my wife picked it out, so it's really her car, and she gave me her Jeep to drive, I'm not overly thrilled with the Jeep either, but that's another story for another forum ...

I just need to figure out what my problem is with being so bummed out about this, it's not that I can't afford it, we budgeted in seven way to Sunday, and for all practical reasons, it fits in our budget ok, my wife is thrilled beyond words with the car, she's out right now showing it to her friends.

I've worked hard to be able to financially afford this for the last 7 or 8 years paying off debts, I think my problem is that I am just having a hard time seeing us owning something this nice.

that's probably way more information then I should have shared.
Attached Thumbnails first time Mustang owner --dscn1000.jpg  

Last edited by grandpa mustang; 1/3/16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 1/3/16, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
The important thing is ............... mama's happy! Welcome to the forum.
Old 1/3/16, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Tripleblack hit most of the big things to watch out for. Off the top of my head, we've also seen reports of

-AC compressor failures
-"blend door actuator" failures (clicking behind the dash and temperature not matching the controls)
-the taillight lenses are super easy to scratch while washing and are expensive to replace
-power seat motor failures, where replacing the seat track is the only (and expensive) option
-rattles (commonly from the cluster trim or rear view mirror)
-my personal pet peeve is the chrome trim on the door and console handles are easily scratched (badly) by jewelry
-wishing one could afford a GT350 or GT500 (OK, I made that one up).

Good luck with your new car! Oh, and if you have the "Shaker Pro" with the subwoofer in the trunk it was a relatively uncommon option. I think the glass roof is the only option that was less common.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 1/3/16 at 03:20 PM.
Old 1/3/16, 03:36 PM

no glass roof, it might be the shaker pro, I'll have to look when my wife gets home -
Old 1/3/16, 06:52 PM

Nice car, I love this style of mustang in black.
Old 1/3/16, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Howdy,

My wife got a 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT today, we actually set out to find me a pickup, I wasn't even thinking Mustangs, but we weren't finding anything I liked, so I mentioned to my wife that if she found something she liked, I'd take her old Jeep, so now I'm the not so proud owner of a 2005 Jeep Liberty (I hate that thing) but my wife is extremely happy with her 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT.

so I figured I better hit the internet, and find a mustang friendly forum and join up because that's where you find help and advice on stuff like this.

I belong to another forum, for the Jeep (those guys have been a huge help with advice on how to keep the thing alive) so I was hoping I'd have the same kind of luck here with some expert advice on how to take care of, repair and maintain this Mustang, and a place to go should any problems arise with this new to us car.

Congrats on your beautiful pony and welcome to the forum. My father has a triple black 2014 California Special and it looks great , just like yours.

I have had my pony for 5 years, 52k miles and not one issue with it. I feel our mustangs are very reliable and built solid. I believe the key is just routine maintenance for the best tip. Depending on how you drive your pony, that would dictate the best scheduled maintenance. Assuming you are not track racing or drag racing, just change the oil every 10k miles or once a year.

Use a quality oil such as Mobil 1 extended performance, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple! Good luck with your pony.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/3/16 at 10:22 PM.
Old 1/4/16, 03:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will enjoy the car everyday, especially Mama. Shes happy your happy!
Old 1/5/16, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ejpatrone
You will enjoy the car everyday, especially Mama. Shes happy your happy!
Oh My wife is happy beyond words, it's the car of her dreams, ever since we met 8 years ago, she always talked about a mustang being her dream car, and honestly, I am still finding it hard to believe that we actually accomplished this. neither of us had anything when we met, I remember it being so bad I had to air up the tires on our cars daily because they leaked so bad and I couldn't afford tires - fast forward 8 years to today where we now have a grip on our finances, those junky old cars are long gone, we're just feeling like we're in a whole better place now, we have a nice Jeep, and now this mustang ..

I'm honestly not a sports car guy - I will learn to like this car however, I've always been a 4x4 truck guy (I have two)

I am so Intimidated by this Mustang it ain't funny, I opened the hood, took one look and thought "Whoa! this is way out of my league" I've never had anything that even comes remotely close to this -

you know, I haven't even driven it yet, my wife keeps pushing me to take it out, but I guess I'm just not there yet --- I really need to get over this.

my trucks are simple old things, to me, this Mustang is nothing short of a super sophisticated rocket ship and I don't have the first clue about it. - where do I start?

Last edited by grandpa mustang; 1/5/16 at 11:34 PM.
Old 1/6/16, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You made someone very happy! Welcome to the forum!
Old 1/6/16, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 1/15/16, 02:06 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Congrats! Nice car. Welcome to TMS.
Old 1/15/16, 02:46 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
we've also seen reports of:
-"blend door actuator" failures (clicking behind the dash)
YUP - me, too
-power seat motor failures, where replacing the seat track is the only (and expensive) option
YUP - me, too (BOTH Driver & Passenger!!!)
-rattles (commonly from the cluster trim or rear view mirror)
YUP - me, too

I've had the above items with my 2011 GT. I love the looks of the 2010-2014, the performance of the GT is fantastic. But some little 'niggles', as mentioned above. Much advise for fixes is on this forum. Your 2014 GT looks great, enjoy it. Hopefully the boss will let you drive it from time to time.
Old 1/15/16, 03:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Oh My wife is happy beyond words, it's the car of her dreams, ever since we met 8 years ago, she always talked about a mustang being her dream car, and honestly, I am still finding it hard to believe that we actually accomplished this. neither of us had anything when we met, I remember it being so bad I had to air up the tires on our cars daily because they leaked so bad and I couldn't afford tires - fast forward 8 years to today where we now have a grip on our finances, those junky old cars are long gone, we're just feeling like we're in a whole better place now, we have a nice Jeep, and now this mustang ..

I'm honestly not a sports car guy - I will learn to like this car however, I've always been a 4x4 truck guy (I have two)

I am so Intimidated by this Mustang it ain't funny, I opened the hood, took one look and thought "Whoa! this is way out of my league" I've never had anything that even comes remotely close to this -

you know, I haven't even driven it yet, my wife keeps pushing me to take it out, but I guess I'm just not there yet --- I really need to get over this.

my trucks are simple old things, to me, this Mustang is nothing short of a super sophisticated rocket ship and I don't have the first clue about it. - where do I start?
I have to say that I have never had any of the above issues except for some rattles because I think those are built in from the factory since this is a Mustang after all. My car has been 98% problem free except for the engine eating it's bearings.

If you are one to work on your cars and you enjoy it I would say to grab a code reader and a subscription on alldatadiy.com. It has the factory service manual that the dealerships use online. The car is still under warranty so if anything goes wrong you can always take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Outside of that enjoy it and have fun. The cars can be deceivingly quick I will say that much. A good set of snow tires would be a very nice to have if you can grab them especially in OR
Old 1/16/16, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the heard of Ponies, as where to start...start in the driver seat, turn the key, making sure you have an ebay fluxcapacitor and prepare for.....oh wait this ain't a DeLorian...oops...guess we won't be able to take it back in time 8 years ago and give it to her then...well just start here at the forums, and perhaps your local Auto Parts store like AutoZone, grab a Haynes/Chiltons book(s) for the Mustang you have (if available) and just read, and have fun!!