Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Charger owner, looking at Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/12, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger owner, looking at Mustang GT

Just saying hi, after browsing your forums for a couple of days.

I currently drive an '06 Charger R/T, it's time to replace it. I'll miss the car, it's been a very reliable and rewarding vehicle. But it's getting to the age and miles where something new is desirable. And I can downsize a bit, now that the kids are out of the house and those extra seats are rarely used to their advantage. I did a few light mods, and probably will to the future ride as well.

I'm test driving in a few days, much of my research has been done. To be fair and so I've at least looked at them, I'll be test driving a Camaro SS, but I'm pretty much set on a GT. Premium, with just about every option, the only one I'm undecided on is NAV (Electronics Pkg), I really want dual climate controls.

But, some questions: Configuring it online, Recaro seats deletes the Comfort Package. I really like heated mirrors (Michigan = WINTER). Heated seats are ok but I could certainly live w/o. How adjustable are the Recaro's, compared to the "six-way" seats?

Other key options: Candy red, track pkg., rear-view, Shaker Pro.

With the track pkg., looks like I'll need to seek winter tires. My charger made that easy - police steel rims and Blizzak tires

It's somewhat disappointing the way Ford has bundled options together.

Tinted windows are nearly a must have, I'll need to find a S.E. Michigan installer who's good. I'm reading the back window is hard to clean - that would mean installing tint would be a pain also.
Old 7/31/12, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not answering any of your direct questions, but I would suggest springing for the nav package. It's the only way to get a touchscreen which enables a lot more than navigation: audio control (variable speed settings, etc., climate control, phone control (phonebooks, recent calls, etc.), etc.

Also be a huge boost to resale value in 5-6 years when that stuff will be a lot more common.
Old 7/31/12, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

Also note that the rear view camera and spoiler are mutually exclusive (due to where the camera is mounted). There is a backup assist with sensors/beep feedback as well.
Old 7/31/12, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Good point on the Electronics pkg. - I didn't realize that's the only path to the touchscreen - that pretty much sells it huh?

I'd rather have the rear camera than the spoiler, I typically prefer no spoiler. I'm really never going to drive fast enough that added downforce is an issue - at least not wisely or legally I prefer a cleaner look. I was glad my Charger didn't come with one standard, like later models did.
Old 7/31/12, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Recaro seats are the most comfortable seats in a vehicle that I have ever had the pleasure of planting my rear end in. They are adjustable so that you are in the perfect driving position and they are designed to hold you there. They do this very well. Getting in and out is a little of a pain because of the high side bolsters on the seat portion but I would take that any day for not sliding around on leather when I'm hitting the curves and transitioning the car on a road course. The shifter is a weak point during seriously spirited driving. The 2-3 shift gets caught. For normal driving though it's a really great shifter.
Old 7/31/12, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Good point on the Electronics pkg. - I didn't realize that's the only path to the touchscreen - that pretty much sells it huh?

I'd rather have the rear camera than the spoiler, I typically prefer no spoiler. I'm really never going to drive fast enough that added downforce is an issue - at least not wisely or legally I prefer a cleaner look. I was glad my Charger didn't come with one standard, like later models did.
Yeah I got a spoiler delete on my '13. Never been a fan of them personally, and my understanding is the stock spoiler is pretty much all style over substance anyway (any info on that anyone?).

I skipped the backup camera which I wish I had TBH. I actually have better visibility out of my '03 Explorer when backing up than in the Mustang. I'm looking in to aftermarket cameras.
Old 7/31/12, 01:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to TMS!
Old 7/31/12, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm also looking for a good place for window tint as well as clear bra in the Detroit area.
Old 7/31/12, 09:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Your not the first. Welcome to TMS
Old 8/1/12, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to TMS!
Old 8/2/12, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Personally, I'd skip the nav/touchscreen, as I think a system like that will look outdated in a couple years and just be a pain, but I can see the appeal.

As far as the seat heaters, don't sweat losing them. I went all the way to WI to buy my GT, just to get seat heaters basically, and it was a waste. They have only one heat setting which isn't even hot enough to make a difference - they're a really poor design, especially when Ford could have just used the Lincoln MKZ ones out of the parts bin that have 3 settings.
Old 8/2/12, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum! I traded in a 2007 Charger SXT/AWD on this!

What size are your Blizzak's? If they're 18's, you might be able to find some 18" rims that will fit the Mustang, and maybe you could use them? I can tell you from experience that a set of 4 snows work quite well on these cars.
Old 8/2/12, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
welcome to TMS! Have you looked at the challengers??
Old 8/2/12, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome! +1 on the comfort of the Recaros, most comfortable seats EVER, and everyone who sits in my car, that is their first comment. I say forget the Nav, it will be outdated soon, and if you have a smart phone who needs it? Where are you in Michigan?
Old 8/2/12, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

Do you think Recaros are good for road trips too? I get they should plant you in your seat well in anything twisty, but will they feel good after 6 or 8 hours of interstate driving?
Old 8/2/12, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just drove 3 hours to Higgins Lake last week and I was glad I was driving my Mustang, no back pain in the Recaros! But those are cloth, mind you. I usually drive our Flex for that trip and get a back ache every time.
Old 8/3/12, 03:41 PM
GT Member

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

It's done! There are NO Mustangs anywhere in the country my dealer could find that matches what I want, so it's on order.
Candy Red GT Premium, Track Pkg., Recaros, Electronics Pkg., Shaker Pro, Rear Sensing, Rear camera.

TLDR section :
Max, I'm in Rochester Michigan, we're neighbors.

Good point on the Blizzaks Ronin38, they are 18". I'll have to see if there's some winter beater rims I can throw on - hate to get something fugly, but function weighs in over form for me. The PD edition rims I rolled around during the winter actually looked pretty bada$$ IMO.

I didn't get the glass roof - $2k is just too much. And I didn't get 401a or 401b - if I remember right those options where knocked out by other options anyway. The stuff for appearance sake only, the rear window louvers and side "vents" I can live without, esp since the side vents are non functional - and another place for winter road salt to work its way behind. My Charger's moldings were removed, and I could hardly believe how much crud was already accumulated underneath, and the paint took a bit to fade out evenly.

Even the dealer was confused for a bit - the lighted door sills are standard on the Premium, as part of the "Ambient Lighting" item no? I swear I saw somewhere it's a $207 option also.

Supply is so limited, I had to test drive one (but no where was one with the Track Pkg. I could see personally), sit in the Boss seats (Recaro, but not leather), and see a third to get a personal look at my color. Thanks everyone for the feedback! That really helped my confirm through opinions here in this thread and forums whether the Track Pkg. and Recaros were thought of highly. Candy Red, doesn't matter what ya'll think it's a beautiful color in person, though I'd prefer a tad bit more metallic in it. I do know that it stays clean looking a lot better than black, an alternate choice, and sapphire gray, which is sharp but a bit understated for a car like the Mustang.

Been here before, it's worth the wait. It's worth the wait. It's worth . .
Old 8/3/12, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
Thanks again for all the welcomes!

It's done! There are NO Mustangs anywhere in the country my dealer could find that matches what I want, so it's on order.
Candy Red GT Premium, Track Pkg., Recaros, Electronics Pkg., Shaker Pro, Rear Sensing, Rear camera.

TLDR section :
Max, I'm in Rochester Michigan, we're neighbors.

Good point on the Blizzaks Ronin38, they are 18". I'll have to see if there's some winter beater rims I can throw on - hate to get something fugly, but function weighs in over form for me. The PD edition rims I rolled around during the winter actually looked pretty bada$$ IMO.

I didn't get the glass roof - $2k is just too much. And I didn't get 401a or 401b - if I remember right those options where knocked out by other options anyway. The stuff for appearance sake only, the rear window louvers and side "vents" I can live without, esp since the side vents are non functional - and another place for winter road salt to work its way behind. My Charger's moldings were removed, and I could hardly believe how much crud was already accumulated underneath, and the paint took a bit to fade out evenly.

Even the dealer was confused for a bit - the lighted door sills are standard on the Premium, as part of the "Ambient Lighting" item no? I swear I saw somewhere it's a $207 option also.

Supply is so limited, I had to test drive one (but no where was one with the Track Pkg. I could see personally), sit in the Boss seats (Recaro, but not leather), and see a third to get a personal look at my color. Thanks everyone for the feedback! That really helped my confirm through opinions here in this thread and forums whether the Track Pkg. and Recaros were thought of highly. Candy Red, doesn't matter what ya'll think it's a beautiful color in person, though I'd prefer a tad bit more metallic in it. I do know that it stays clean looking a lot better than black, an alternate choice, and sapphire gray, which is sharp but a bit understated for a car like the Mustang.

Been here before, it's worth the wait. It's worth the wait. It's worth . .
Cool! Well have to meet up. Good to see someone order something else besides Deep impact blue
Old 8/6/12, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I to will be getting some beater rims for the winter for mud and snows. I actually saw some nice looking rims for under $100 each at Pepboys. But the jury is still out on that for now. Congrats on the new car, I know you will love it!!
Old 8/6/12, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on the order

Quick Reply: Charger owner, looking at Mustang GT