Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

ARE YOUR CAR MIRRORS ADJUSTED CORRECTLY

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/10, 12:01 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
ARE YOUR CAR MIRRORS ADJUSTED CORRECTLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfGm8UPnSg4

wAY cOOL!

kc
Old 4/7/10, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Back in my day we just glanced over our shoulders...
Old 4/7/10, 12:47 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea why this isn't taught in driver's ed. I've been doing this for years, but I use a completely different technique. After first adjusting the rear-view mirror, I adjust the side view mirrors so there is a bare minimum of overlap with the rear-view mirror. I do this while parked and without moving my head, by picking objects such as trees or poles etc as reference points.

This way I have a complete view aft from one side to the other. Usually this technique results in my maxing out the sideways adjustment of the side mirrors.

On my old 1990 Prelude, I didn't even have to turn my head, only glace slightly left and right. It was awesome.
Old 4/7/10, 05:23 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
very good tips!
Old 4/7/10, 06:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

He didn't adjust his rear view mirror correctly. To adjust the rearview mirror raise it high tilt the drivers side up and lower the passenger side then adjust the view angle till you can just see out the side rear window or the quarter window.
Old 4/11/10, 08:40 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
sorry, I'll never adjust them that way. I need something to judge where the traffic is in reference. When I adjust them from the normal position, I can see a sliver of the side of the car to act as a reference, but when you dont have a reference point, you cant tell exactly how far the car beside you is.
Old 4/11/10, 08:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Back in my day we just glanced over our shoulders...
I do that even if I have mirrors.
Old 4/11/10, 08:56 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
sorry, I'll never adjust them that way. I need something to judge where the traffic is in reference. When I adjust them from the normal position, I can see a sliver of the side of the car to act as a reference, but when you dont have a reference point, you cant tell exactly how far the car beside you is.
With the mirrors overlapping you'll be fine. If it's in the rear view, your ok (unless it's going faster than you, which you'll be able to see). If it's in the side view it's in the danger zone.
Old 4/11/10, 09:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mirrors I don't need no stinkin mirrors where I'm going !
Kidding that good useful info kind how mine are I shoulder check a lot and when the top is down it's even easier.
Some people my son & I see don't use them for the way they are twisted or just plain hanging useless.
Old 4/11/10, 10:02 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I have no idea why this isn't taught in driver's ed. I've been doing this for years, but I use a completely different technique. After first adjusting the rear-view mirror, I adjust the side view mirrors so there is a bare minimum of overlap with the rear-view mirror. I do this while parked and without moving my head, by picking objects such as trees or poles etc as reference points.

This way I have a complete view aft from one side to the other. Usually this technique results in my maxing out the sideways adjustment of the side mirrors.

On my old 1990 Prelude, I didn't even have to turn my head, only glace slightly left and right. It was awesome.
I adjust them that way too. The Fox Mustang A-pillar mounted mirrors have got to be some of the smallest factory mirrors made - don't need the "ricer M3 mirror" mod. It's like factory already. I've also used the clip-on wide angle rear view mirrors in the past, work pretty well but they interfere with the sun visors. Hate sticking the fish-eye mirrors on the side mirrors like I've seen on other cars. There's a smaller sized version out there - my relative has one in his '99 Prelude - just can't find it in the stores' "ricer accessories section". Still like something similar to replace the factory mirror and retain the day/night feature.
Old 4/12/10, 07:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Been doing this since I've had my Mustang, even taught it to the wife. I had read about setting the mirrors this way from some Rallye site I happened across once. It is definitely the best way to go but it does take some getting used to especially for older drivers who are set in their ways.
Old 4/12/10, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
"If you wanted to be in this Left Turn Lane..."

Um, people, there is a SOLID WHITE LINE there. You'd be breakin' the law, and you'd be doing it too late anyway. Best to go straight, then turn around when able.

Sheesh. Common knowledge, right?

---
Btw, my mirrors are adjusted like he says, but none of that leaning crap needed, and no blind spots. And yet, I still double check with the head turn.... as I do that on the motorcycle too.

/blind spot mirrors for the win.
//Not needed on Awesome, though.
///Had them on the previous cars. Loved 'em. Lower inside corners. May still add them to her.