Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

What jobs have you had?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/12, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What jobs have you had?

We have all worked hard to to get where we are, or where we have been if one is retired.

What jobs have you held? I'll start.

At 12, I had a paper route and had a list of clients in the neighborhood for snow shoveling in the winter.

I worked in a ice cream and sandwich shop when I was 16, started bussing the counters, waiting on customers and working the grill on occasion. I also played guitar in a " garage band" and made some money playing at dances.

In high school, I got into the Distributive Education program, and as part of the program worked at a clothing store ( half day of school, the rest of the day was working, along with a night a week and Saturdays) I graduated from high school in 1971.

I then went to college for a year for marketing, dropped out when I found out I didn't like it. I still played in a band, switching to bass guitar when our bassist quit becuase he joined a cult that thought rock music was the work of the devil (ironically, we rehearsed in a Methodist Church hall, our keyboardist's dad was the minister).

I then went to work at a factory that made paper tubes of all sizes and still played in the band.

In 1975, I went back to college for ipublic communications. I was in still in a band, and worked part time for a small pet store chain and summers for a pest control company.

I graduated with an associates degree in public communication in 1977 and worked full time for the pest control company and part time for a cable TV local access station.

In 1980, I left the pest control company and cable TV station and worked briefly for a radio station. Things didnt work out quite as planned... the pest control company hired me back.

I took the firefighter entrance exam in 1980, got hired on the FD in 1981, and through the promotional process rose through the ranks to my present position. I got my EMT certifcation and worked towards a fire science degree (someday I'll finish it...)

I worked as a per diem for the Fire Academy from 1982 to 1995 and did some per diem contract detailing for a limo company and a high end auto body shop as well as my own detailing venture.

In 1996, I got a specialty job in my FD as the Public Fire Education Officer. Through an ongoing grant program, I was able to teach fire safety in the elementary schools. I went back to working per diem for the Academy in 2004 and still did the fire education program in the schools until 2006, when I got promoted to Deputy, I handed off the reins to another firefighter.

I still work for the Academy, and work per diem for a private ambulance service and as a per diem monitor for civil service doing entry level firefighter physical agility testing, and still have my detailing venture.

One can say that I do stay busy...

Last edited by DaGonz; 6/2/12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 6/2/12, 08:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oil Derrick gopher
Auto parts counterman
Old 6/2/12, 08:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I've been a scab for the past 20 years.
Old 6/2/12, 09:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Old 6/2/12, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll take the high road here..
Old 6/2/12, 09:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
babysitter since i was 12/13
started working retail November 2006 when i was 17 and still am

going back to school next month for the ending goal of being a Social Worker with a specialization in Teen Pregnancy/Adoption
Old 6/2/12, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I have had 6 jobs, basically, staring with computer programming industrial operator interface software, then assembling the computers to use that software with. They're still operating in a couple of place 30 years later, I think. Lost track a while back. I was pretty good at it, and fast too, because I can type up to 72 WPM when I'm on my game, and could keep track of all the crap going on in the program in my head, pretty much. So yeah, I know the ins and outs of even how the things work today, because it's really not changed much, in terms of DOS/Windows/programming them.

Then I got into doing work for other companies, doing their networking and computers, and leanred TCP/IP for internet and such like that there. I can make a nice secure setup for your network and share it. And do it wireless. Hooray.

Then I got into doing audio video, and wiring network and phones, and actually doing the phones, for both home and offices. 66 block, 110 punch, rj45, rj11, rj6, Cat3, Cat5-6, coax, crimping... yeah, I can pretty much wire up anything, if you need me to.

Then I wound up doing bathroom partitions. Total right turn there. I actually liked it, but the measuring was always screwed up or the mounting issues would eat us alive. Which is why nobody wanted to do them, too much 'maybe, possibly' in the work. No 'for sure' and it just works. Paid decent if you could get away from the 'maybe' stuff.

Then wound up doing alarms for new homes. That didn't last long, I hated it. Too much pressure to do it too quickly for way not enough pay. But I learned some tricks there too which are helpful now.

Then wound up doing any and all of that, depending. It's a long story. And leading to today, the 6th overall job, wound up somehow becoming the main IT dude at a car group consisting of two dealerships, linked, and doing all the IT work.. which includes wiring, phones, computers, printers, as well as internet, intrastore, interstore, intercompany networking, and also the AV things they need, Satellite, TVs, projectors and the wiring thereto.

Oh yeah, somewhere in there, I also learned how to setup and aim satellites Even the HD ones, which are a pain. And even the Internet ones, which are a HUGE pain. Definitely NOT my fav thing to do.

I currently replace 4 service companies that they would otherwise have to call for various things (phones vs networking/wiring vs computers vs A/V vs...) with my continued presence as the IT guy at these dealerships, and so far, it's been a good relationship. Well, for me for sure. I think overall for them too. They haven't fired/replaced me yet. But then, it's not Monday yet, and anything can happen. I've seen it.

If that day comes, I'll survive. I can do anything. I can also work on motorcycles, cars, both engine type stuff and upholstery type stuff... and even paint and body. Heck, I can do bathroom partitions if need be!

But I'm kinda hoping I keep the IT job. It's pretty good to have it.

/Really, the bathroom partitions, oddly enough, were pretty relaxing to do. Nobody bothered you, you went in, took the old ones out, cleaned up, put the new ones in, hauled the old ones away. Get paid. And pretty decently too.
//But the IT thing is easier.
///Except when I'm running the cables. That can get really dirty.
////I will say this: I crimp cables with the best of them in terms of speed and 100% reliability, and my block and panel punches look fantastic and are reliable too.
/////Then you start cross connecting things... ugh.

Last edited by houtex; 6/2/12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 6/2/12, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I have only had 1 job:

I started when I was how ever old I was in 7th grade. I work for my family business where we deliver high end furniture to mansions and penthouses in NYC. I load/unload trucks, check in furniture, pull it for delivery the next day, do basic maintenance on the trucks, I am a driver, I make deliveries, schedule deliveries ..... Basically everything that there is to do there I do been there for about 12 years now ....
Old 6/2/12, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
I have only had 1 job:

I started when I was how ever old I was in 7th grade. I work for my family business where we deliver high end furniture to mansions and penthouses in NYC. I load/unload trucks, check in furniture, pull it for delivery the next day, do basic maintenance on the trucks, I am a driver, I make deliveries, schedule deliveries ..... Basically everything that there is to do there I do been there for about 12 years now ....
You really don't know how old you were in 7th grade?
Old 6/2/12, 10:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Well he was there for three years.
Old 6/2/12, 10:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only three
Old 6/2/12, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I don't even think I remember how old I was in 10th grade

That took me 6 tries to get through
Old 6/2/12, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+20p haha
Old 6/2/12, 10:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after trade school I worked at a few garages turning wrenches.

I then got hired at Kaman Aerospace and worked on the SH2 seasprite & C5 Galaxy wing line.

I then took a job at Hamilton Standard ( another aerospace company ) and worked on various projects like parts for the F14, F18, A10, etc. and I was also on the company fire brigade.

while at Kaman I also joined my local F.D. has a callman and worked my way up to Captain before leaving, I also got my EMT during this time and starting laying the foundation for a future career.

I got laid off from Hamilton standard and picked up a job at another garage during the same time I had been taking F.D. tests.

I got my first career Firefighting job at Fort Devens Army base.

I then took a job in Southbridge has a Firefghter/Emt-I.

I then decided to go to school for my class A, after getting that I picked up part time work from the fire station driving tractor trailer hauling dry bulk tanker through out N.E. and then later moved to hauling fuel oil/ Gas/ Kero for a local company.
Old 6/3/12, 01:44 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Then I got into doing audio video, and wiring network and phones, and actually doing the phones, for both home and offices. 66 block, 110 punch, rj45, rj11, rj6, Cat3, Cat5-6, coax, crimping... yeah, I can pretty much wire up anything, if you need me to.
Hey structured wiring - looks fun!

I kid though, I've been checking into it since I've had my eye on this chunk on land in my AO - I've got this crazy DIY house idea (yeah I am that cheap) and the whole structured wiring thing is appealing for a variety of reasons.
Old 6/3/12, 02:09 AM

Started a once a week paper route when I was around 6-7 (big brother did it with me), made about 24-30$ month.

Got a 'real' daily early morning paper route when I was around 12.

at 14 got offered a job as a janitor before and after school. Held that till my senior year.

Through high school I also worked at Subway, Tractor Supply Company (TSC), Hardees and my brother and I had a lawn mowing service around town.

At age 17 I enlisted in the US Air Force...

While enlisted Ive also held other jobs. TSC, Again...Old Navy.

Now Im just currently Active Duty and Building cars on the side...15 years in tomorrow, 5 more to go and im out!
Old 6/3/12, 03:21 AM
Cobra Member

Ive milked cows, mowed lawns, framed houses, detailed cars, installed carpet, worked at warehouse (winn dixie), deckhand on tugboats, now captain on tugboats (mississippi river)
Old 6/3/12, 05:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cut college early and chose outside sales because I already had a plan in my teens.
About half of my career was self-employed, half as an employee, but always continued self-employment on the side.
A sales career meant I was independent, had some control over my income (rather than some accountant or union telling me what I was worth), and it offered me the best vehicle to achieve my personal (non-career) dreams and goals the soonest. "It's all about the view..."
Old 6/3/12, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
Started a once a week paper route when I was around 6-7 (big brother did it with me), made about 24-30$ month.

Got a 'real' daily early morning paper route when I was around 12.

at 14 got offered a job as a janitor before and after school. Held that till my senior year.

Through high school I also worked at Subway, Tractor Supply Company (TSC), Hardees and my brother and I had a lawn mowing service around town.

At age 17 I enlisted in the US Air Force...

While enlisted Ive also held other jobs. TSC, Again...Old Navy.

Now Im just currently Active Duty and Building cars on the side...15 years in tomorrow, 5 more to go and im out!
Thank you for your service!
Old 6/3/12, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Let's see At 17 I started working at Hermans sporting goods. Then I worked at R & S Strauss,

At 18 I worked the U.S. Open 3 yeares in a row as a part time job for the summers,

At 19 I was working Full time at Ferrari Of Long Island. I did detailing and worked with mechanics on servicing Ferrari's. I also did Training at Ferrari of North America, When they use to be in Fort lee NJ. Man this takes me back in time. I haven't see this in so long

One of My Favorites Ferrari's was the 355's

Then at 20 I started working for Local 3. Where I have been ever since. I am now 34. I have made so much money over the years, and have worked at so many Big name jobs. I worked at the World Trade Center in 98-99. I really hope to go back and work on the Freedom Tower. A recent big job I did was the Resorts World Casion that is the first in Queens NY.

Quick Reply: What jobs have you had?