Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WAAAAAAAAY Off Topic

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/04, 04:24 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is way off topic, but I had to post about this:

Ellen Degeneres is sending care packages to our troops overseas. Included in these bags with sundries for the troops, but also phone cards, and the big thing is:

DVD Players, and a DVD!!

I am totally in tears, they are showing clips of messages from troops to thier families.

Off to log on to the site and send in my donation. I have two nephews-in-law overseas, and I am so glad to see a TV personality go this far. They are airing the show overseas as well so that the troops can see it, in 170 countries.

For those of you who log on here... I know I am not the only one who deeply appreciates that you are risking your lives for my freedom, Thank You doesnt seem to cover it, but, its all I got right now. Thank You, we are all waiting here for you to come home safely after you have done your jobs.

Woo-YAH! :flag2:
Old 11/24/04, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

ditto. The troops are amazing and so is Ellen Degeneres.
Old 11/24/04, 04:29 PM
Banned

I would donate to something like the Red Cross or something before Ellen's little endeavor. Usually the money going through those goes to "administrative duties" and less than 10% goes to where it is supposed to.

I'm sure she isn't doing it for nothing. You don't all of the sudden do things like this for no reason.

Not trying to bring it down, because the troops are the best thing we've got going. But when I saw this this morning, something sounded fishy to me.
Old 11/24/04, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I've always enjoyed her and thought she was a special and especially funny person. Comedy, entertainment and the arts take that type of person and who really cares who she calls honey at home. She knows whats important, that is the freedom to call who ever she wants honey at home
Old 11/24/04, 04:37 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Grantsdale, she isnt doing it for no reason. If you watch the Ellen show with any regularity, you will find that she is a HUGE supporter of our troops. ALL of the items in the care packages were donated including the Sony DVD players. They showed the assembly line of volunteers that were helping to put these packages together. Yes, there are administrative costs invloved, which is exactly why I will donate my money to her. She is doing this out of the goodness of her heart, has gotten Unilever, Sony, Kodak, and several other large companies to donate thier products so that our troops have something from home, while they are fighting for our country.

However, I do have to say, the fact that less than 10% goes to the actual charity is the reason I dont donate to groups like United Way, etc. Ellen is not a huge charity, and I trust that she is using the money to send our troops these packages.
Old 11/24/04, 04:44 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I didnt mentioned a very important part of this whole operation, its in conjunction with the USO, and supported by the DOD, as well as the White House.
Old 11/24/04, 04:48 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

HOLY MOTHER!!! She is giving the families that are in the audience a 10 cruise on Celebrity cruise lines... estimated cost 1.2 mil for over 1000 cruises. Her "Thanks for the sacrifices you have made while your loved one is away."

Go Celebrity cruises!!!!
Old 11/24/04, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@November 24, 2004, 7:32 PM
I would donate to something like the Red Cross or something before Ellen's little endeavor. Usually the money going through those goes to "administrative duties" and less than 10% goes to where it is supposed to.
As usual, you are probably correct about Ellen. Thanks for watching out for us. This is just some sort of scam. So, how much did you donate to the Red Cross? And just to make sure, could you tell me your authoritative source on specifically how much of Ellens collection is going to "administrative duties"? Thanks again for looking out for us gullible types.

The Boss Hog
(something does smell fishy around here)
Old 11/24/04, 04:52 PM
Banned

So she isn't doing anything other than announce what is being done though right? Like you said everything is being donated, so she isn't paying for anything.

Are the families taking the military member on the cruise? If not thats pretty weak ... one member is over fighting a war, the rest goes on a cruise? Seems a little out of wack.

edit: I'm not saying that what she is doing isn't great. I'm just saying there has to be something in it for her. The press and ratings involved might be it, but its not "out of the kindness of her heart" only. There are other reasons, even if its only those two.

For your information, my business donated about $70,000 this year to various charities. Yes, we get tax breaks for it, so its not only "for the good of the charity" but I admit that.

Whats the website for the charity? And hearing the USO is part of it is a very good thing, they will make sure everything is legit.

For an example of why these are done, do some googling for the WWE's christmas shows. They get a tax credit of over $1,000,000 for going over and doing a free show in Iraq or Afghanistan or whatever on X-Mas.

Like I said, its a good thing that they are doing, but don't think its not to their benefit.
Old 11/24/04, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

"So she isn't doing anything other than announce what is being done though right? Like you said everything is being donated, so she isn't paying for anything."

Well, she is donating her time (money) and started a charity to take advantage of her star status to do a great thing for America.
Old 11/24/04, 04:55 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Hey guys, its ok, really it is. This whole endeavor is a partnership with the USO.

Although, I was totally wrong when I said that all the items are donated. The $25 per package includes purchasing some of the items. The DVD players were donated, as well as the movie.

I realize that this world is a cynical place, but, its not ok to pay for postage, or the bags that the stuff goes in, or anything else??? When you donate to the Red Cross they troops dont get the money, your money helps to pay for vehicles, supplies, etc.

C'mon people, have a little bit of giving spirit!!! I get it that there are a lot of scams out there, but the USO?? am I that naive to think that the USO is a huge scam?? hmm.. If just one soldier gets a care package from the states because of this program, I find it well worth $25.
Old 11/24/04, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

being in the military myself, it's more appreciated to hear "thank you" than to hear "here's a free dvd player" every act of appreciation is wonderful- but knowing people actually support us is more meaningful than material things- so thank you for thanking us :usa:
Old 11/24/04, 04:58 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

LMAO!! Grantsdale, I dont know what the family members are doing with the 4 tickets they are receiving. If it were me, I would save the tickets until my soldier came home, and we all go. I would think Celebrity would make them good for a number of years, since they are going to service members families, and there is no way to tell when they will be coming home.
Old 11/24/04, 05:01 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

05mustangSB, a huge huge and kiss, and I want you to give a huge hug and kiss to every guy in your unit from us!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! A million Thanks yous...
Old 11/24/04, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@November 24, 2004, 8:01 PM
LMAO!! Grantsdale, I dont know what the family members are doing with the 4 tickets they are receiving. If it were me, I would save the tickets until my soldier came home, and we all go. I would think Celebrity would make them good for a number of years, since they are going to service members families, and there is no way to tell when they will be coming home.
I'd hope so. But you never know, look at what happened with the taxes on the car that Oprah gave away.
Old 11/24/04, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05MustangSB@November 24, 2004, 5:59 PM
being in the military myself, it's more appreciated to hear "thank you" than to hear "here's a free dvd player" every act of appreciation is wonderful- but knowing people actually support us is more meaningful than material things- so thank you for thanking us :usa:
Thank you to you and all your peers.
Old 11/24/04, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

thank YOU guys..... we wouldnt be doing what we do unless it were for y'all :worship:
Old 11/24/04, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 05MustangSB@November 24, 2004, 8:06 PM
thank YOU guys..... we wouldnt be doing what we do unless it were for y'all :worship:
thats for sure, i hate when the american public loses sight of that
Old 11/24/04, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Grantsdale, it's a great thing she is doing, but it's not entirely out of the goodness of her heart, or else this would've been done further away from the public eye.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all our Troops, and may they all come home safe and SOON!
Old 11/24/04, 05:17 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Loses sight of what Grantsdale? I personally think that anything I do here in the safety of the US pales in comparison to the men and women giving thier very lives so that I can sit here safe and sound in the US.

Quick Reply: WAAAAAAAAY Off Topic