Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Victim of Cheap Chinese Metallurgy - Real Glad I Got The 6AT

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/11 | 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Victim of Cheap Chinese Metallurgy - Real Glad I Got The 6AT

No, I am not talking about the MT-82!

Background (for those who don't know):
I've had a rough 2011 what with 2 surgeries, one of which was to insert a screw in my left foot to fix a 5th metatarsal fracture (a "Jones Fracture") which was not healing (since 2/12/2011). I ended up selling my 2011 GT 'vert 6MT in May/June because it was just sitting and I could not drive it. With months of immobility + right shoulder surgery, my clutch leg had lost lots of muscle mass and had resurrected an old knee situation (for which I'd had surgery in 1995). Got a 1993 beater Toyota Corolla with Auto/AC for a DD. Then ordered a 2012 GT coupe with the 6AT, took delivery 6/27/11. Yeah the shifting could be better, but I am enjoying it, especially after my recent suspension mods!

Was back in regular shoes in late July and did P.T. in August-September. Was recovering up until a month ago. Dr. said on 8/23/11 it was neuritis of the sural nerve & x-ray looked good & to take Ibuprofen.

Today (Friday 9/23/11):
Pain/swelling unbearable, so went in to get an injection right into the nerve to kill the agonizing pain. Doctor commented that the swelling was "extraordinary" and decided to take more x-rays....

Todays X-Rays showed that the Bone is re-fractured and the SCREW IS BROKEN WITHIN THE BONE BREAK!! Note I didn't say the screw was bent. It's clear as day in the x-ray - the screw is frappin' broken as well!!* Neither the Podiatrist/Ortho nor her 73-year-old colleague have ever seen anything like it! (will try to scan & post x-ray later, it is surreal). but I have done NOTHING to have caused such trauma!!

I am TOTALLY devastated by this development (as is my long-suffering wife), but SO glad I made the decision to go Auto/coupe in lieu of 'vert/6MT. So while it's back to cast/boot/crutches for 5 weeks, I can still drive my baby! If in 5 weeks I've shown no improvement, then there will have to be TWO more surgeries:

Surgery 1: Make large incision, re-break bone, remove both screw halves (using an e-z-out I guess?), then join the bone together with a STEEL PLATE. 10 weeks of recovery minimum, after the surgery.

Surgery 2: Six to 9 months after Surgery #1, Surgery #2 is needed in order to remove the steel plate so shoes will fit!

I am thinking about seeking a 2nd opinion (not about whether it's broken, but what to do about it). Of course I'll drive my 2012 GT there....

*My theory: Cheap chinese metallurgy. Dr. said the screw was stainless steel, not titanium. My theory is the screw was purchased by an apathetic clerk with no concern re grade nor origin, and it was simply not up to the task. I believe that if they'd used a titanium screw that was made in the good ol' USA I wouldn't be crippled right now.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/23/11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 9/23/11 | 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

that....sucks.

Get better!
Old 9/23/11 | 06:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

cheaper at any cost is the mantra these days...bet that screw retailed for 5 grand too... my wife had a stent last year, remember those things are about 1/2 the size of a ink pen spring...used to be a stent procedure total cost was about 6k, now, before 'insurance discounts' it woulda been 78k...theyre so nice though to discount it dramatically though so her copay is only about 6k- isnt that neat how that works out. doc said now a stent(the actual little metal piece) costs about 12k...yeah I'm sure theres a boatload of liability, and theres a lot of precision required in manufacturing, but bet you some little garage shop in china laser cut that thing for about 10 bucks.

hope you are on the mend soon- congrats on being able to roll into a auto so you could still enjoy driving a mustang
Old 9/23/11 | 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ouch! My foot hurt just reading that. I went through something similar but not nearly as bad a little over a year ago. Broke 3 toes on my right foot and they wanted to put pins in but thankfully it healed somewhat ok. Just can't bend my big toe anymore. I wish you all the best man!
Old 9/23/11 | 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eric,

This time tell them to use all American parts! At least you can still drive your Blue baby. AT all the way!

Your arms ain't broke either you can still do your mods and Zaino or Blackfire treatments. You should have the cleanest and most modded stang after this is over.

Ummmmm........ That's all I got to cheer you up. Sorry to hear about the setback get better soon.

Paul (Papi)
Old 9/23/11 | 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh man, just as i taught you and i were gonna be running in the next Montreal marathon.....( which is this coming week-end BTW),now this.......
I feel so bad for you Eric, how can these things ever happen in the first place. You think that they would just make sure that the screws, bolts and plates they use for surgery would be ones of VERY high quality and are double and triple checked for defects or something.
On a more positive note,
just got a shot of cortisone through fluoroscopy scan 2 days ago for my 2 lower herniated discs. I've been on Dilaudid for the past month now, pain was killing me. I'm feeling a bit better now as the inflamation is tapering off gradually. We're right there with you Eric. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 9/23/11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 9/23/11 | 07:46 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Sorry to hear about this Eric I have a titanium plate in my neck but i don't know what the 8 screws are made out of.
Old 9/23/11 | 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

That sucks man. Wishing you the best.
Old 9/24/11 | 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

they make defective metals and parts in the U.S all the time. I hope you feel better good luck
Old 9/24/11 | 12:31 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

find out where its from. all screws have a part number. I would talk to a lawyer.
Old 9/24/11 | 01:16 AM
GT Member

i had titanium screw and plate in my ankle. amazed at how strong and light it was when it was taken out.
Old 9/24/11 | 05:58 AM
GT Member

Hang in there Eric. That really sucks but at least you can look at the stang to lift your spirits. I refer to my stang as the stress reliever. It can make a bad day look a whole lot better.
Old 9/24/11 | 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

man what a string of bad luck. Get arp hardware next time. How did you break it in the first place. Heal quickly drink your milk.
Old 9/24/11 | 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dude that terrible. Sounds a lot like my luck. I hope they can get you fixed up. Im glad you got the automatic Stang so at least you can enjoy it. Sounds like that was a smart move on your part. I hope the docs can get you fixed up. Best of luck to you.
Old 9/24/11 | 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I am overwhelmed by the TMS brother- (and sister-) hood.

But I have to note how funny it is that the one person who said to drink a lot of milk (Glenn) is the one that has the great milk "containers" in his avatar photo.

As for defective screws in the USA, yes even the Patriots can lose a football game as can the Rams, but which one loses a lot more than the other? (and I am a Dolphins fan, but have to give the Patsies their due).
Old 9/24/11 | 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I have to admit I got tickled by the title of the thread. After reading Double E's post I thought the screw must have come from Getrag out of CHina.

I dont mean to make light of your situation though at all and wish you all the best Eric. It was just some light humor. Glad you can still drive your Mustang. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get straightened out.
Old 9/24/11 | 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Sad to hear this, get better soon!
Old 9/24/11 | 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Hoping you can get better soon!
Old 9/24/11 | 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow man thats hard to read. Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon and recover fully!
Old 9/24/11 | 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Here's a couple of looks at the x-ray. A look at the impossible (considering there was no trauma to my foot at all and I am not a D-1 athlete). Sorry about the distortion - I had the hard copy folded up in my pocket prior to scanning it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Victim of Cheap Chinese Metallurgy - Real Glad I Got The 6AT