Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Vancouver BC to Monument Valley

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/15, 09:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Vancouver BC to Monument Valley

Howdy neighbors south of the 49th. I'd like to make a road trip from BC to Monument Valley and back over 2 weeks. My dog, myself and my air conditioned pickup . My favorite old western was 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and I fell in love with MV. I'm also keen on seeing the Grand Canyon, or Bryce Canyon or other similar sights. Hoping to find pet friendly accomodations along the way. Is 2 weeks long enough to spend some time enjoying those sites? Does driving south along the wets coast and cutting over to AZ/UT make sense? March -April?

Any fellow mustang lovers who are familiar with the area? Live nearby? I can't bring the stang but will be bringing Tag in my f150. I have my complicated canon dslr which i plan to learn beforehand. my backup is the android though, which takes amazing pics. I can't wait to take my own panorama shots

Lotsa questions I know but i have never driven there. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 1/3/15, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm not from there but it will be a great drive your going to love it. I took the family from Mn to Cal going more south. On the way home we came up the west coast on hwy 5 to Salt Lake City and cut back over. One of the best trips ever. I love the area of Utah Arizona and Nevada. Right in that little corner where they meet. It's beautiful there.

Last edited by GrnT; 1/3/15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 1/3/15, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
You have to get out of that deep freeze your currently in?
Old 1/3/15, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The dates should be fine through CA, not sure on AZ though. But you better stop by through SF and say hi! that sounds like an amazing trip and I wish I could do something similar!!
Old 1/3/15, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Arizona will be fine by that time. Make sure you check the highway clearances if you're driving through any high-elevation areas.
Old 1/3/15, 07:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I can't speak to the drive or pet friendly hotels, but back in '97 I took a puddle jumper from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and stayed overnight at a Best Western for a sunrise at the Canyon. Amazing. It makes a person feel small and insignificant. Very humbling.

I never made it to Bryce or Zion National Park but people have told me that those are even more breathtaking than the GC.

I don't know where it's located in relation to the national parks, but have you considered seeing the Bonneville Salt Flats? I wonder if cars still run there.

All those are on my bucket list.

I can't wait to see your pics Darren.
Old 1/3/15, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Darren,
Take a look at this - http://www.tukatz.com/html/short_tri...nal_parks.html
We took 15 days for our trip and we are less than 200 miles south of you. You'll be at significant elevation in Utah and might be a bit too early in March. It's possible that you would be required to have chains with you in some places at that time of year. Definitely some fabulous sights.
Tom
Old 1/3/15, 10:02 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thanks for the tips my friends. Unknown weather is precisely the reason for taking my truck, plus it's definitely better for Tag. I'll be checking weather patterns for the routes and if it's nasty still at some higher elevations i might push it to April or a tad later if need be. I posted a thread on tripadvisor.com in the Monument Valley forum too. Sounds like i might want to board Tag somewhere for the desert portions of the trip.

My plan B is waiting till summer and flying south, renting a mustang convertible, and travelling with a friend. Bringing Tag is definitely my preferred plan though.
Old 1/3/15, 10:04 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Darren,
Take a look at this - www.tukatz.com/html/short_trips/2014_national_parks.html
We took 15 days for our trip and we are less than 200 miles south of you. You'll be at significant elevation in Utah and might be a bit too early in March. It's possible that you would be required to have chains with you in some places at that time of year. Definitely some fabulous sights.
Tom

Seeing your photo with 'Maria' really makes me think of taking my car.
Old 1/3/15, 10:06 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Arizona will be fine by that time. Make sure you check the highway clearances if you're driving through any high-elevation areas.
Thank you, I will. I had always day dreamed of taking my mustang but it's not very comy for Tag, and of course, there's potential for weather at those higher elevations.
Old 1/3/15, 10:08 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
The dates should be fine through CA, not sure on AZ though. But you better stop by through SF and say hi! that sounds like an amazing trip and I wish I could do something similar!!

I always plan on meeting up along the way.

p.s. I'll be in Pleasonton on Jan 13,14. Returning to the mother ship for more product training.
Old 1/3/15, 10:42 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
My plan B is waiting till summer and flying south, renting a mustang convertible, and travelling with a friend. Bringing Tag is definitely my preferred plan though.
Plan B is a good one. You can name your trip album "A Boy and His Dog".

Leto approves.
Old 1/3/15, 10:46 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Plan B is a good one. You can name your trip album "A Boy and His Dog".

Leto approves.

LMAO, reminds me of the old '75 movie with same title...

portion of storyline:
"Vic is most concerned with food and sex; having lost both of his parents, he has no formal education and does not understand ethics or morality. He is accompanied by a well-read, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthropy, telepathic dog named Blood, who helps him locate women, in return for food."

Tag is AWESOME at getting women
Old 1/3/15, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Seeing your photo with 'Maria' really makes me think of taking my car.
The one gotcha is that you can get cooked in a hurry at those high elevations. There were some beautiful days where we had the top up. Still, we had enough top-down time.
Old 1/3/15, 10:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
The one gotcha is that you can get cooked in a hurry at those high elevations. There were some beautiful days where we had the top up. Still, we had enough top-down time.
I learned that during a road trip through southern Cali for a wedding. Took a mustang convertible. BURNT my head lol
Old 1/3/15, 10:57 AM
FR500 Member

portion of storyline:
"Darren is most concerned with food and sex; and does not understand ethics or morality. "

Tag is AWESOME at getting women
Just a minor change to that storyline.

If you don't take Tag, can I borrow him while you're gone?
Old 1/3/15, 11:15 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

nice lol
I'm going to consider boarding him with friends in california
Old 1/3/15, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I always plan on meeting up along the way. p.s. I'll be in Pleasonton on Jan 13,14. Returning to the mother ship for more product training.
I work in p-town. Hit me up and let's do lunch!
Old 1/4/15, 12:05 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a trip Darren. I want to take some road trips out west at some point. See the sun set over the AZ desert, watch it come up again over Lake Tahoe, check out Colorado the Rockies states.
Old 1/4/15, 02:41 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice lol
I'm going to consider boarding him with friends in california

p.s. I'll be in Pleasonton on Jan 13,14. Returning to the mother ship for more product training.
I wondered if you were going to drone I-5.
I was going to suggest 395 down along Abert Rim. Hot springs. Further down thru CA on the east side of the Sierra's. With a side over Tioga Pass into Yosemite. Really awesome!
Yeah its all high desert/desert. But Sac Valley/Central Valley I-5 is all sucksville.
2 weeks isn't much time...

Quick Reply: Vancouver BC to Monument Valley