Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

TV alert thread

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/10, 10:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Thats true the cast of The Office is great. Have you guys seen this clip yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbph0xYwMbk

Thanks Jason.
Old 3/8/10, 10:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by zzcoop
I know I'm in the minority, but I even love the original British version. Ricky Gervais is brilliant.
Me too and he is.

I've started watching the Ricky Gervais Show on HBO. There's 3 guys sitting in a radio studio but they are animated like a toon. They also animate the stories each tell. It's funny stuff.
Old 3/8/10, 10:23 PM
Post *****

Dwight from the episode of The Office I just watched.

"I grew up on a farm. I've seen about every kind of animal having sex in every kind of position. Goat on chicken. Chicken on goat. Two chickens doing a goat with a couple of pigs watching. Whoever drew this watermark knew what they were doing. They got it exactly right."

That's so ****ed up.
Old 3/9/10, 01:24 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I even love the original British version. Ricky Gervais is brilliant.
you must educate me on this zz! I never knew there was an older version

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Dwight from the episode of The Office I just watched.

"I grew up on a farm. I've seen about every kind of animal having sex in every kind of position. Goat on chicken. Chicken on goat. Two chickens doing a goat with a couple of pigs watching. Whoever drew this watermark knew what they were doing. They got it exactly right."

That's so ****ed up.
I could "hear" Dwight saying this as I was reading your post
Old 3/9/10, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cats do not provide milk nor wool or meat."

I don't know why, but that's one of my favorite Dwight quotes. Probably because I think cats are evil and must be destroyed.
Old 3/9/10, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
you must educate me on this zz! I never knew there was an older version
Yep, like so many good American shows, they originated as rip-offs of originals in the UK. It currently airs in the US on Adult Swim, but I'm not sure what night/time etc.

A lot of people aren't aware of it since it only ran for two seasons, and even though it's the original, it's hard not to consider the US series the "definitive" version since it's been such a long-running show. But if you watch the original, you'll see that the main characters were carried over almost verbatim. It's easy to see right off that David = Michael, Tim = Jim, and Gareth = Dwight. They even used a lot of the same gags in the first season of the US series (the stapler in the Jell-O, etc.) that they used originally in the UK.

People like to compare the two, but I don't think that's fair since they're both targeted at completely different audiences. But if all you know is the NBC version, then you'll either love it or hate it. Especially if you're not big on British humor to begin with.

Fortunately I am, and appreciate them both.

Last edited by zzcoop; 3/9/10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 3/9/10, 10:38 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Yep, like so many good American shows, they originated as rip-offs of originals in the UK. It currently airs in the US on Adult Swim, but I'm not sure what night/time etc.

A lot of people aren't aware of it since it only ran for two seasons, and even though it's the original, it's hard not to consider the US series the "definitive" version since it's been such a long-running show. But if you watch the original, you'll see that the main characters were carried over almost verbatim. It's easy to see right off that David = Michael, Tim = Jim, and Gareth = Dwight. They even used a lot of the same gags in the first season of the US series (the stapler in the Jell-O, etc.) that they used originally in the UK.

People like to compare the two, but I don't think that's fair since they're both targeted at completely different audiences. But if all you know is the NBC version, then you'll either love it or hate it. Especially if you're not big on British humor to begin with.

Fortunately I am, and appreciate them both.
Thanks for the info. I watched a clip on youtube last night and you're right I could instantly pick out the characters. I like the British version too, although like with TopGear its a little hard getting the jokes sometimes when they use words that I don't know the meaning of. But hey that's what Google is for

Do you or Gary ever watch King of Queens? Jerry Stiller literally makes my ribs hurt when I watch that show lol
Here's a clip (hope its right, can't access youtube at work) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQdWBsGE6uY

Last edited by stangfoeva; 3/9/10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 3/9/10, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jerry Stiller is awesome. He's good on that show, but he'll always be Frank Costanza to me.

As far as the UK 'Office' goes, this clip of David (Ricky Gervais) dancing cracks me up every time.
Old 3/9/10, 11:04 AM
Post *****

Of course I watch King of Queens.

Jerry Stiller is The funniest old man I've ever seen.

To be honest if it's a sitcom and was remotely funny I
probably watched it or still watch it.

I watch George Lopez, The Office, King of Queens, Scrubs, Yes Dear, Seinfeld, King of the Hill, and even Frasier on an almost daily basis.

But I grew up watching shows like these. Except it was Three's Company, Happy Days, Brady Bunch reruns, Cheers, Wings, and more shows than I can remember right now.

I guess I'm a sitcom junkie. I don't care for reality TV at all, and even dramas and crime shows can be too serious. I want something I can laugh at and forget about work and the troubles of everyday life.
Old 3/10/10, 05:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Jerry Stiller is awesome. He's good on that show, but he'll always be Frank Costanza to me.

As far as the UK 'Office' goes, this clip of David (Ricky Gervais) dancing cracks me up every time.
I'll watch this when I get home

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Of course I watch King of Queens.

Jerry Stiller is The funniest old man I've ever seen.

To be honest if it's a sitcom and was remotely funny I
probably watched it or still watch it.

I watch George Lopez, The Office, King of Queens, Scrubs, Yes Dear, Seinfeld, King of the Hill, and even Frasier on an almost daily basis.

But I grew up watching shows like these. Except it was Three's Company, Happy Days, Brady Bunch reruns, Cheers, Wings, and more shows than I can remember right now.

I guess I'm a sitcom junkie. I don't care for reality TV at all, and even dramas and crime shows can be too serious. I want something I can laugh at and forget about work and the troubles of everyday life.
Gary we watch all the same shows! The only one you listed I don't really watch is King of the Hill. I've recently been trying to get into the cbs comedies big bang theory and two and a half men.

Let me know if you ever want to try out the drama genre. The show "Leverage" on TNT might be just for you. Its sort of a drama/comedy. It really is just a tv version of Ocean's 11
Old 3/10/10, 07:21 PM
Post *****

Big bang theory is cool, I like it. But it's tough to watch it during football season and when 24 is on. I do watch 24 that's probably my only drama.

I've watched leverage once just because it had timothy Hutton in it.

I didn't hate it.

Oh yeah. I used to watch Monk too.
Old 3/11/10, 01:53 AM
MOTM Committee Member

24 is my 'drama of the moment' right now. Its as close as I'll get to another Walker Texas Ranger
Old 3/11/10, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Monk was a great show. USA has some good ones. Psych and Burn Notice are awesome, as well as Law & Order: CI (but only the Goren & Eames episodes. I can't stand Jeff Goldblum.) As far as dramas go, those and House are about the only ones I care for. Most of my viewing time is spent on Discovery and the like (Food Network, Travel Channel, TLC, SyFy etc.) And of course, PBS gets my full attention at 3:00 on Saturday afternoons when The Joy of Painting is on. I love me some classic Bob Ross.

The only first-run sitcom I watch anymore is The Office. Everything else I catch in repeats on TBS or TV Land or whatever.
Old 3/11/10, 05:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just saw on the news last night that this is probably the last season for 24.
Old 3/12/10, 04:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I just saw on the news last night that this is probably the last season for 24.
Aww why fix if it ain't broken ? Must be casting or cost related or someones just tierd of it , I just seen an add for it , and from the add alone made me need to watch it
Old 3/12/10, 10:49 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Monk was a great show. USA has some good ones. Psych and Burn Notice are awesome, as well as Law & Order: CI (but only the Goren & Eames episodes. I can't stand Jeff Goldblum.) As far as dramas go, those and House are about the only ones I care for. Most of my viewing time is spent on Discovery and the like (Food Network, Travel Channel, TLC, SyFy etc.) And of course, PBS gets my full attention at 3:00 on Saturday afternoons when The Joy of Painting is on. I love me some classic Bob Ross.

The only first-run sitcom I watch anymore is The Office. Everything else I catch in repeats on TBS or TV Land or whatever.
Burn Notice is really good. I see you listed travel channel ZZ, man vs food perhaps?
Old 3/12/10, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutely. That and No Reservations in particular. Adam Richman. Anthony Bourdain. 'Nuff said.
Old 3/12/10, 12:18 PM
Post *****

No Reservations kicks ****.
Old 3/12/10, 04:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Aww why fix if it ain't broken ? Must be casting or cost related or someones just tierd of it , I just seen an add for it , and from the add alone made me need to watch it
Cost related. Getting too expensive to produce. Another network could pick it up.
Old 3/13/10, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So with a serious in flux of cash it must be dang costly to pay everyone and other relted costs gotta wonder where it all comes from ?

Quick Reply: TV alert thread