Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Tsunami Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 11:36 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The earthquakes off Chile, and the echos that hit Nor Cal generated tsunami warnings for Cali coast, and specifically for MY BEACH!!!!

We had no idea, we were watching a show that we had DVRd. Our phone started ringing off the hook, and everyone calling us and telling us to get to higher ground. The worst part was, evryone was calling us and telling us, yet our local news had nothing on it. Then I tried to call the police and fire departments to see if they were going to start evacuations... and they didnt answer..

We took my daughter to her dads, just in case, he lives up in the hills of South OC. We are home now, and apparently for now, the warnings have been cancelled. However, a big enough aftershock, or another echo, and I could be seeing some of the bigges surf ever seen.

Just to give you an idea of where we live, the beach is less than 50 steps from our condo. Talk about an eerie experience!

This is after we had tornadoes this past winter. My husband, who grew up in Tornado Alley, laughed at me when I called him. I was totally confused, what does one do when they are broadcasting tornado warnings? We had waterspouts off the pier, and a tornado hit 3 houses about 6 blocks from us.

Anyone see that movie Day After Tomorrow? All this strange weather, and unheard of natural experiences in this area are starting to creep me out.
Old 6/15/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, I am with you Jess. I saw Day After Tomorow too. It's really pretty freaky. Last year we had snow in April (after Easter). And it was only in 3 counties, it was not broadcasted, it never showed on the radars, & the next day everything was dry & the flowers were still blooming (nothing was frost bit).

That was a little weird. Also, about a week later there was a story in the paper of this little girl who has some terminal disease & all she wanted was snow. Well, people prayed for snow & then the next day boom snow. I'm still not sure if I buy that story thuough. Eaither way it was weird.

Also, here lately we've had dry, hot weather for a month with no sign of rain & now all of a sudden we had thunderstorm warnings everyday for over a week.

Anyway, I hope everything passes for you guys. Good luck to you.
Old 6/15/05, 05:31 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Actually, I was wondering what was going on. Last night on the 11:00 news here they were reporting it as a earthquake in Northern California. We have family there, and I channel surfed and found nothing. That just shows how much our local SC news knows. Hope everything is OK now and it all passed with no damage.
Old 6/15/05, 05:49 AM
GT Member

I found it strange that these planet emergancies hit near Christian Holidays. Christmas and Easter. It happened in a part of the world that was not primarily Christian. And then there was also the fact that the planet stopped in rotation a few seconds and tilted back on it's axes. Which delayed winter and then spring then summer. So the weather could be an after effect of that earthquake over seas. And that could also be the reason we have had small quakes here. Thank goodness for that.
Old 6/15/05, 06:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ALLMINE65@June 15, 2005, 5:52 AM
I found it strange that these planet emergancies hit near Christian Holidays. Christmas and Easter. It happened in a part of the world that was not primarily Christian. And then there was also the fact that the planet stopped in rotation a few seconds and tilted back on it's axes. Which delayed winter and then spring then summer. So the weather could be an after effect of that earthquake over seas. And that could also be the reason we have had small quakes here. Thank goodness for that.
huh?
Old 6/15/05, 07:06 AM
GT Member

What was the Huh for? You hadn't heard about the earth's shift of the axes? Or was it fact I said,"Thank goodness". The goodness was, the earthquakes didn't hurt the USA in any way. The other stuff I just found odd. The earthquake that caused the Tsunami fell on December 26. And then on Easter that same place had a horrific earthquake. Didn't you think that was odd?
Old 6/15/05, 07:14 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Strange weather all around.
It never rains all summer here. This is the second day in June we HAVE'NT had rain. Right now the swamp heat is right on track.....It hurts to breathe here so muggy.
And its 105 in New York......Odd. You are normally freezing your you know whats off up there right now.
Old 6/15/05, 07:27 AM
GT Member

The weather up here changed really fast. The temp went from 67 degrees on monday and on tuesday it was 91 degrees. Hot and moggy. Steve has been Zanoing the 05 this past weekend. The pony house temp read 95. Too hot for me. He wanted to get it ready for a road trip this thursday. We are going to Virginia to see my family. We will be dropping our son off with them for a few week. He will work at the island Marinia for the summer. A job he loves. Anything to do with fish he loves.

Anyway, I have missed you April. The weather has been nice and clear so we have taken some local road trips. Haven't be on line much.
Old 6/15/05, 07:30 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Don't look at me for amusement, I have a dark thundercloud over my head these days.......The stress is going to kill me while making me upchuck.
Old 6/15/05, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Really sorry! Any thing I can help with? Even if it just some one to talk to. Life can be hard on all of us. Stress, well I am not one who stresses much. Thats Steve. He makes me nuts. Just last week I had to renew my drivers licens. I put my renewal card in the with the bills so it would not get lost. Steve was looking for some thing in the same spot and started throwing things away. He was so stressed out, the papers were flying. So.. I left the room. On saturday I went to get the card and it was gone. He throw it away. Now what?? lol
Old 6/15/05, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by ALLMINE65@June 15, 2005, 7:09 AM
What was the Huh for? You hadn't heard about the earth's shift of the axes? Or was it fact I said,"Thank goodness". The goodness was, the earthquakes didn't hurt the USA in any way. The other stuff I just found odd. The earthquake that caused the Tsunami fell on December 26. And then on Easter that same place had a horrific earthquake. Didn't you think that was odd?
The huh was for the part where you said the Earth stopped rotating and the axis shifted. Where did you hear that and when did it happen? I never remember hearing that.
Old 6/15/05, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, Jessica, that must have been quite scary! Glad things are ok now.... but Im sure you will be watching the weather pretty closely the next few days
Old 6/15/05, 08:51 AM

Here to end the axis shifting rumor. This is from the USGS (United States Geological Survey) website.

Question: What effect did this earthquake have on the rotation of the earth?

Answer: While this question is a little outside the earthquake role of the USGS, scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) who work with the USGS, have told us that the effects on the Earth's rotation from an earthquake even of this magnitude is much too small to be observed. The length of the day can be measured with an accuracy of about 20 microseconds and calculations of the source properties of the earthquake showed the change in the length of the day to be -2.676 microseconds, or in other words, less than can be effectively measured.

If you want a more complete and technical answer to this question, Richard Gross at JPL offers the following:

JPL has modeled the coseismic effect on the Earth's rotation of the December 26 earthquake in Indonesia by using the PREM model for the elastic properties of the Earth and the Harvard centroid-moment tensor solution for the source properties of the earthquake. The result is:

change in length of day: -2.676 microseconds
polar motion excitation X : -0.670 milliarcseconds
polar motion excitation Y: 0.475 milliarcseconds

Since the length of the day can be measured with an accuracy of about 20 microseconds, this model predicts that the change in the length-of-day caused by the earthquake is much too small to be observed. And, since the location of the earthquake was near the equator, this model predicts that the change in polar motion excitation is also rather small, being about 0.82 milliarcsecond in amplitude. Such a small change in polar motion excitation will also be difficult to detect.
Old 6/15/05, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

ROFL

A little earthquake is not going to stop a 5.9742 × 10^24 kilogram mass from rotating. It might make the earth "wobble" a fraction of a millimeter on its axis.

Newton's law? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 6/15/05, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by GhostTX@June 15, 2005, 9:04 AM
ROFL

A little earthquake is not going to stop a 5.9742 × 10^24 kilogram mass from rotating. It might make the earth "wobble" a fraction of a millimeter on its axis.

Newton's law? Anyone? Anyone?
Agreed, for something to cause a noticable shift in either, it would have to be caused by something not on this Earth. Perhaps a comet hitting Earth, but then we would all be dead anyway so no one would know if it caused a shift or not.
Old 6/15/05, 11:28 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Thanks all!!!

I dont know about axis shifting and the earth not rotating, (Seriously, if that happened, we would be in a much bigger world of hurt...) but, I do know that the past 12 months have been very strange in regards to weather. I gotta say it was the first time I ever looked out of my windows and was nervous about the waves on the shore.
Old 6/15/05, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@June 15, 2005, 9:11 AM
Agreed, for something to cause a noticable shift in either, it would have to be caused by something not on this Earth. Perhaps a comet hitting Earth, but then we would all be dead anyway so no one would know if it caused a shift or not.
So what if, for example, the Antartic tectonic plate shifted? The movement of the massive ice-pack would act as the unbalanced force required to upset the body-in-motion (Earth).

With all the stuff going on on the lithosphere (just waiting to see what happens if Mt St Helens or Yellowstone go!), I wouldn't be surprised to see something major occur in our lifetime.
Old 6/15/05, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by celticstanger@June 15, 2005, 12:19 PM
So what if, for example, the Antartic tectonic plate shifted? The movement of the massive ice-pack would act as the unbalanced force required to upset the body-in-motion (Earth).
The Antartic plate has been shifting for millions of years and is still moving/shifting today. As are all the plates, just at different rates. The mass of Earth is 5.9742 x 10^24 kg. It would have to take an enormous amount of force to change its movement.
Old 6/16/05, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Put a piece of ice on your head while your spinning...and as the ice slides down, let me know if you stop spinning or start leaning in another direction (dizziness not contributing).
Old 6/16/05, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ain't no asteroid gonna kill me! I'll just shoot it outta the sky with my trusty Red Ryder BB gun!

Quick Reply: Tsunami Warning!