Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Trying to figure out

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/04, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm making out my x-mas list and i'm trying to figure out what power inverter would be best. See i am hooking up a Ps2 and maybe other gaming systems up in my car. The PS2 book states you need 120 W source. Would a 350 W power inverter be ok or is that too much of an overkill
Old 11/25/04, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
The wattage is a power draw item. kinda like amps, but different.

Anyway, if you need 120 Watts, then a 350 Watt power inverter is not overkill, and indeed would be wise. A 100W inverter would be bad. Overheat and possibly fry something. A 120W would be just enough, but if there were a spike or something, well... You probably knew that.

So, if you're adding a PS2 AND other stuff (Screens, whatever) then you'll want to add their wattage up as if they were peaked and on at the same time. Get an inverter 10% bigger than that. You should be all right. So if all added up and using max watts they are 300 watts, then a 330watt+ inverter should be able to handle it. That is, unless...

Ya know, I'd be interested in the amount of Amperes too. Fuses and wires and such. Similar issue, but different. I'd do the watts AND the Amps, add the Amps up, and add 10 percent. On the inverter AND the fuse. So if you have a 300 Watt requirement at 10 Amps, an inverter that can handle a steady draw of of 330+Watts and 11+Amps should be good, along with an 11+Amp fuse or two...

And since I'm here babbling, be sure to use a big enough cable for the job. If your calculations say a 12 gauge wire will be just enough, go with the 10. Just to be sure.

AND, be safe with your wiring. Extra padding where needed on edges, and tie it all down.

<edit>
And wouldn't you know it, I remembered something else. You might also then be checking into getting a separate battery and charging system for the whole rig, as depending on what you do, you may overtax the poor 12V system your car is set up with. A separate alternator, regulator, and battery for just this deal might be worth it. Unless you like being jumped and such. And dual 12V batteries for the rig might be even better still. I'm not really that big an expert, but I do know that you put too much on the electrical system, you will kill the car's regular battery or alternator or very likely both. Separation of the two might be better. So do your homework on that too.

Ok, I think that's it.
</edit>

Someone check me to be sure I got that right. I think I did, but double check is always good, yeah?

Have fun!
Old 11/25/04, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. My friend came on and told me how to do everything and what I need.