Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Thinking About Getting A Tattoo

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/11, 04:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking About Getting A Tattoo

I have been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo since my dad died. I really didn't want to rush into anything quite so permanent after something so traumatic just to realize down the road that I hated it, since it will probably be there forever. I think that I decided on a quote from Gary Allen "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride." Possibly with my dad's initials or 2/10/58 - 9/29/10 or something like that. I'm really trying to figure out where I want it though. My three ideas are: Inner triceps - Life ain't always beautiful (right arm) But it's a beautiful ride (left arm). Left/right arm- Just the whole thing on one, same place inner triceps would be two lines. Or running down my side (arm pit down). I think I'm going to mock it up tomorrow and just see what I like the best, but do you guys have any suggestions? I want to believe that waiting 9 months is long enough to know that I believe it's a good idea, and not being rash and just going out and doing something stupid, but I'm just a stupid kid and I really would respect anyone's opinion who's willing to share their wisdom. Thanks guys.
Old 6/18/11, 08:22 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dunno man, that's a lot of words. Is there a shorter, memorable quote you could use to remind you of Dad? I've got one (medium-large) tat, and while I like it, there are times (now that I have 2 boys) where I do regret it.
Old 6/18/11, 01:54 PM

I'm pretty set on the quote. Is your tattoo a quote, or a piece of art? I was thinking about what I wanted to get, and I decided that styles come and go, and if you get a piece of art it is fairly likely that in time your style will change, or you might get to a different phase in your life where it isn't as acceptable/cool to have it, but as long as the quote has resonance it would stay more "current" regardless of how much time goes by.

I feel like my dad's passing is a huge piece of my life, and I want to do something to commemorate him, and I think that a tattoo would not be a bad way to go. I am just trying to figure out a way to do that while keeping in mind my goal: If there is no context, and just the quote it can stand on its own as having meaning- and I don't just want an RIP Dad tattoo I want something that means more to me than just blatantly saying "My dad died." I think that is an attainable goal, but only with more than a couple words.
Old 6/18/11, 02:07 PM
I lust for a M24

I hear ya. I guess mine's considered art, more of a tribal shield on my outer right arm, top of bicep to rear tricep. Good luck man, tough decision for sure.
Old 6/18/11, 02:07 PM
Banned

Tats aren't permanent anymore.
Old 6/18/11, 02:20 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cntchds
I feel like my dad's passing is a huge piece of my life, and I want to do something to commemorate him, and I think that a tattoo would not be a bad way to go.
Well you know, his life was a huge piece of your life. He's already tattoo'd on your heart and mind. Believe me, you won't forget. I think of my folks pretty much everyday. They've been dead since 85 & 98.

I'm not a tat fan. I prefer stuff that was their's. Like I've got my dad's hunting knife here on the coffee table the last few months and I use some of his tools. I use some kitchen tools and silver of my mom's pretty often.

IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/18/11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 6/18/11, 04:29 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm no fan of tats either, but i can't think of a better reason to get one than to memorialize your father.
Old 6/18/11, 04:37 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^agreed with Gary.

I'd go for it on your inner arm, not something especially visible (especially with your job) but something that's there to remind you of him.
Old 6/19/11, 09:23 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I vote both lines on the inner tri-cep. Make sure you do it in a nice script though,but not something so over the top you cant read it hardly.
Old 6/19/11, 12:26 PM

Which script is what I'm trying to figure out right now.
Old 6/20/11, 10:43 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, not Old English script. That's played out.
Old 6/21/11, 12:51 AM

That is the script I'm planning on using right now. I'm still not 100% sure on where I'm getting it, but since I'm a lifeguard, and you're supposed to keep it out of the sun and water for two weeks, I think I'm waiting til the end of summer anyway.

Arin said that either going to a tattoo place and having them sketch it on, or going to a henna place and having them put it on temporarily would be a good idea first, so I'm going to see what I can do in the meantime.

Last edited by cntchds; 6/21/11 at 01:25 AM.
Old 6/22/11, 04:05 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Thats a bit tough to read honestly. I was thinking something a bit like this. Also being offset would give the words a bit of reading comprehension flow.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking About Getting A Tattoo-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 6/23/11, 01:07 AM

I looked at literally hundreds of different scripts, and I found the one I posted to be what I wanted. I want it to look close to cursive, but something that doesn't look too girly, and had a real handwritten look to it. Although I agree that there could be a bit of confusion as to what it says, or how to read it, it would make sense to anyone who took a minute. #1 the tattoo is for me to have something physically on me for me. I have a pretty clear image of what I want in my head. Secondary is making sure it looks good. And that I think will really come with talking to the artist.
Old 6/24/11, 09:12 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I looked at literally hundreds of different scripts, and I found the one I posted to be what I wanted. I want it to look close to cursive, but something that doesn't look too girly, and had a real handwritten look to it. Although I agree that there could be a bit of confusion as to what it says, or how to read it, it would make sense to anyone who took a minute. #1 the tattoo is for me to have something physically on me for me. I have a pretty clear image of what I want in my head. Secondary is making sure it looks good. And that I think will really come with talking to the artist.
Well said. I think you got your head right on it.
Old 6/25/11, 03:40 AM

Still waiting on Arin and his photoshops. I'm also thinking about just buying so temp tattoo paper so I could print it up and see how it looks in-the-flesh.
Old 6/25/11, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still waiting on Arin and his photoshops. I'm also thinking about just buying so temp tattoo paper so I could print it up and see how it looks in-the-flesh.
Good idea. Goodluck with tat. I bt itll look great!
Old 6/26/11, 04:34 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
the henna idea is a good one

I like the script, but it may be a. difficult to tattoo, and b. they loose their sharpness after a while when the color really starts to sink in, so it may become a bit difficult to read.
Old 6/27/11, 02:23 AM

I think I'm leaning more toward my side for that reason. I figure the bigger it is the less losing some sharpness will matter. Also for future job reasons I think my side would be a better place to have it despite how much I want it on my arms. Still a huge toss up right now though.
Old 6/29/11, 08:58 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by StangMahn
the henna idea is a good one

I like the script, but it may be a. difficult to tattoo, and b. they loose their sharpness after a while when the color really starts to sink in, so it may become a bit difficult to read.
if the artist is good enough they can lay the ink in there real heavy and it wont fade hardly at all. Hell mines about 5months old now (yes i still gotta get the coloring and shading finished) but where he outlined it, he laid it in so heavy, i can still feel the outline of it to the touch in parts. He wanted parts of mine to be bolder and be the focus of the artwork more than the rest so the black outline is very very heavy.

The one he did on my wife with full color and all, still looks as good as it did the day she walked out of the shop. Its all in teh quality of the artist. if anyone is in Alabama, I can highly recommend some people.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting A Tattoo