Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Supreme Court says Americans have right to guns

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/08, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Supreme Court says Americans have right to guns

On Thursday, the Court rediscovered the Second Amendment. More than five years after six Washington, D.C. residents challenged the city’s 32-year-old ban on all functional firearms in the home, the Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller that the law is unconstitutional.

Heller is merely the opening salvo in a series of litigations that will ultimately resolve what weapons and persons can be regulated and what restrictions are permissible. But because of Thursday’s decision, the prospects for reviving the original meaning of the Second Amendment are now substantially brighter.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense in their homes, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Old 6/26/08, 03:34 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An excellent ruling. Now we just have to hope that pro-gun lobbies/lawyers don't take this ruling too far and use it to overturn other legislation that has a legitimate and reasonable purpose in protecting the general public. Some laws are beneficial and necessary to prevent people who have no business having guns from getting them. Sooner or later, a criminal is going to go on a shooting rampage and the media will blame it on the Supreme Court ruling. If/when that happens, we'll see more harsh legislation passed against law abiding gun owners.
Old 6/27/08, 12:03 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^+1 to the liberals blaming it on the SC

I think it's a good ruling. And if people are so stupid that they think that the "bad guys" werent getting guns before, and will now, just goes to prove how stupid they are.
Old 6/27/08, 04:19 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed.

Criminals don't obey laws restricting firearms. The least we can do is let law abiders have a chance to fight back and keep the CRIMINALS in fear, instead of honest people
Old 6/27/08, 06:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very sticky issue. I love guns myself. Owned many ever since I was a kid when my grandfather handed me his guns and took me shooting. My dad wasn't into guns, so I got tutored by gramps.
Anyway, I can see both sides of the issue for sure and unfortunately, IMO, the best solution is one that requires something that's in short supply these days, COMMON SENSE.
Yes, I realize that laws rarely keep guns out of the hands of criminals but quite often it's not the hardened criminal that shoots up a restaurant, college campus or workplace. Of course, you also have the idea that if a law-abiding citizen has a gun on them, it follows that they are probably safer for having it but, in all too many cases, that citizen has very little idea on how to use the weapon and/or the proper mindset for actually using it if/when the opportunity arises. And in those cases, the weapon is generally stolen by the criminal and sometimes even used on the weapon's owner at the time of the theft.
I see myself as a responsible gun owner. I buy quality weapons, take proper care of them and keep them locked-up as needed to assure a safe environment in my home. I introduced my children to guns at an early age and made sure they were comfortable and proficient with them. I've never worried that my kids would take one of my weapons and use it irresponsibly.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for a large number of people out there. I cringe whenever I go on various forums and see some of the posts made by members that seem to fancy themselves as little Rambo's. There's a lot of them out there, and they scare me far more than the stereotypical gun-toting street thug you hear about. IMO,these people are seriously unstable. And most of them are by and large, law-abiding, middle-class Americans that you'd never think about being a threat. You probably know at least one of these guys and don't even realize it. Hell, you see it on the news all the time. All of a sudden something happens, everyone who knows the perpetrator is stunned, and then there's pictures of the dozens of weapons being carted out of the guy's home.
I'd love to say that I truly believe we don't need gun laws but I can't. But as I said, they need to be more common-sensical in nature. Good luck with that.
Old 6/27/08, 06:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the SCOTUS is one for three so far...They got this one right but were horribly wrong in the Gitmo and child rape issues...very sad indeed.
Old 6/27/08, 07:37 AM
GT Member

In the grand scheme of things, does it REALLY matter if capital punishment is authorized in child rape cases? I mean think about it, thanks to our wimpy society, capital punishment is rarely enforced. In most cases, isn't a death sentence REALLY just a LIFE sentence that simply costs the American taxpayer more? Pisses me off every time I hear some idiot saying we should do away with capital punishment because it's proven to not be a deterrent. They just don't get it. Who cares about it being a deterrent, I want that piece of slime gone. No endless appeals. No sucking off the American taxpayer. No chance of ever committing another crime. Warehousing wacko's is NOT my idea of the right way to handle the situation. Yeah, I realize there's always a chance that an innocent guy can get caught-up in the system and yeah it would be a shame to have that situation end in him being put to death but then again, I think that if the system were handled with more common sense, you wouldn't have to worry about that happening.
Old 6/27/08, 10:33 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
it`s a proven fact ..executed criminals are NOT repeat offenders
Old 6/27/08, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
You got it!
Old 6/27/08, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pro gun ... and what is really scary is that the ruling won by only a 5-4 vote ... so how could 4 of the judges interpret the Constitution differently .... incredible.
Old 6/27/08, 11:40 AM
NTTAWWT

i forward you to this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zlRqZFGM5do

I couldnt resist
Old 6/27/08, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've no issues with people owning guns, I have issues with people not being educated on proper use and care for guns. I think you should really take a class before you can buy a gun. Education and respect for fire arms is key.
Old 6/27/08, 03:42 PM
NTTAWWT

^true, some people are so stupid. Like even something as simple as not keeping your finger on the trigger when youre holding the gun, most people dont even think about it.
Old 6/27/08, 08:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats because most people are afraid of guns, and thus do not seek to understand them. oddly enough if the DID understand them, they might not fear them so much and maybe, just maybe, we could have a population that can maturely and safely operate firearms.

Thats how it was a hundred years ago, but people are far too scared to even try things that are strange and frightening to them these days
Old 6/27/08, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmhines
I'm pro gun ... and what is really scary is that the ruling won by only a 5-4 vote ... so how could 4 of the judges interpret the Constitution differently .... incredible.
Put simply, because five of them interpreted the Constitution and the other four simply got ****** that they missed out on yet another opportunity to legislate from the bench. The role of the Supreme Court went astray long ago moving away from the Court's original purpose, interpretation, creeping ever further into the realm of legislation. It's nice to see things coming back around to their proper place.
Old 6/27/08, 09:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Put simply, because five of them interpreted the Constitution and the other four simply got ****** that they missed out on yet another opportunity to legislate from the bench. The role of the Supreme Court went astray long ago moving away from the Court's original purpose, interpretation, creeping ever further into the realm of legislation. It's nice to see things coming back around to their proper place.
You hit the nail on the head there ...
Old 6/29/08, 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gald to see things moving forward. Just scared about the up comming election hope things don't get reversed.
Old 6/29/08, 07:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This election is going to be awful. The two parties sure did their best to nominate 2 people that would be unelectable in any other year. It's like Dan Quale vs Jimmy Carter. I'm voting 3rd party. For the first time in my lifetime, we're at a point when throwing your vote away would be voting for one of the major candidates and not the 3rd party candidate. It's no longer about voting a particular party in, it's about scaring the two major parties into listening to the American people instead of DC insiders.
Old 6/29/08, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
That's my point exactly! lol
Old 6/29/08, 10:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Democrats love unarmed peasants." Made me lmao.