Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Sopranos Ending - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sopranos Ending - WTF?

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody else watch the Sopranos Ending? WTF? For a second I thought our satellite went out. Was Tony about to be whacked in front of his family? Or what, are we just are supposed to imagine our own ending? Or maybe they can make a Sopranos movie since Tony's still has a pulse?
Old 6/10/07, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know either, but that must be the worst thing I have ever seen on television. If you want to allude us to a hit, then at least have meadow sit down, the guy come out of the john, and fade. That sucked royally. The two babies smiling in the expy when the car rolled over Phil was pretty funny. I would of not held the ending against them if Anthony Jr blew up in the xterra(you could do anything after that). The last 10 seconds of the last eppisode made me completely loose all interest in ever buying the DVD set.

I set my phone alarm for 1:00 am to see the last few minutes again on HBOW.

I can't believe they let the last thing happen is watching Meadow make a fool of herself parallel parking. Maybe could of had the Russian that disappeared in the woods 2 years ago show up. Ugh, and I promised myself I would give up after season 3. What a train wreck.
Old 6/10/07, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

At least Heroes clearly showed how 'professional' writers/directors that get paid millions of dollars are really no better then a 6th grader and that having the right connections in life is obviously the only prerequisite for making the big time. Not to mention they were able to ruin a great idea in only one season, saving years of waiting between seasons. And as bad as that was, Sopranos was 10 times worse.
Old 6/10/07, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I enjoyed it when Phil Retardo got whacked and the car wheel ran over his head - ha! Good riddence.

I guess the cat was Adreianna - you know it kept staring at the photo of Chris.

In my mind, I'm thinking Tony got whacked. The last thing he saw was his daughter coming in. You know in an earlier episode, I think it was Tony and Bobby talking and they agreed that when you got whacked, you never saw it coming. That's one ending you could see.

The other possibility is that Tony Soprano lives on. His Family survives.

The ending is a "You pick 'em".
Old 6/10/07, 11:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

I watched the last few minutes again, its just a contrived pull-the-plug thing, but executed poorly. Just like for the last few years with plots that make no sense, and loose ends that just stay loose. Liken it to the Russian in the woods episode, and it was just a stupid where after a few hours Paulie and Chris were so hungry they started sucking ketchup packages, come on. That was the begining of the end for the show. Terrible ending to the series, terrible acting by Anthony Jr sucking up valuable time this season(reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1's Anikin or Sophie Coppola ruining Godfather III). And the show has always had the absolute worst music director, talk about just not having an ear for music in any way, shape, or form. The whole cat thing was stupid too, as was the way doctor Milfie gave up on Tony last week. For the past few years the show has been a total hack job. Lately it had a lot of the beatnik 'indie' plot touches, basically saying if you don't get it, you're not smart enough to, essentially making up for poor writing and plots that were started with no idea how to finish them later. First two seasons were a 10, the last two were 2's, the rest danced at 4's and 5's. I guess it's better it's over.
Old 6/11/07, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

The final episode was a big nothing! I own every friggin season and now there is no closure. I don't even know where to begin. I've been disappointed with the writing for last 2 seasons. I didn't like the many lame political jabs, the gay episodes, nor the arab storyline. All of it seemed out of place.

I don't want to believe it, but I think Tony was meant to get capped when the screen went black. We didn't see it, because Tony didn't see it coming. We'll never know for sure and that's a real shame. Will alternate endings be available on the DVD set?
Old 6/11/07, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

What's The Sopranos? I don't watch musicals......
Old 6/11/07, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I watched the last few minutes again, its just a contrived pull-the-plug thing, but executed poorly. Just like for the last few years with plots that make no sense, and loose ends that just stay loose. Liken it to the Russian in the woods episode, and it was just a stupid where after a few hours Paulie and Chris were so hungry they started sucking ketchup packages, come on. That was the begining of the end for the show. Terrible ending to the series, terrible acting by Anthony Jr sucking up valuable time this season(reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1's Anikin or Sophie Coppola ruining Godfather III). And the show has always had the absolute worst music director, talk about just not having an ear for music in any way, shape, or form. The whole cat thing was stupid too, as was the way doctor Milfie gave up on Tony last week. For the past few years the show has been a total hack job. Lately it had a lot of the beatnik 'indie' plot touches, basically saying if you don't get it, you're not smart enough to, essentially making up for poor writing and plots that were started with no idea how to finish them later. First two seasons were a 10, the last two were 2's, the rest danced at 4's and 5's. I guess it's better it's over.
+1 on everything you said. The cat thing was especially corny. I feel like the show has been hijacked for the last couple of seasons. And yes there have been so many untidy loose ends and wasted storylines through out the years.
Old 6/11/07, 01:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by neil07gt
The final episode was a big nothing! I own every friggin season and now there is no closure. I don't even know where to begin. I've been disappointed with the writing for last 2 seasons. I didn't like the many lame political jabs, the gay episodes, nor the arab storyline. All of it seemed out of place.

I don't want to believe it, but I think Tony was meant to get capped when the screen went black. We didn't see it, because Tony didn't see it coming. We'll never know for sure and that's a real shame. Will alternate endings be available on the DVD set?
I thought about both scenarios, that either the idea is to simply 'unplug' the show, or that he was killed, as if the entire show is from his perspective(which would work when its well written like Fight Club) but the show is not. Either way, they needed to end it with a crowd-pleasing finish, as the show had become anything but the work of art all that produce it think it is. It had pretty much become average network television writing and acting with just cursing and ***** separating it from NBC. If they think that ending was artistic, they are patting themselves WAY too hard on the backs. Its like a lot of celebrities in general, they end up believing they are that good because they surround themselves only with people that tell them that blindly. I wasted quite a few years watching a show that never redeemed itself after the second season. Watching the show has become like me staying a die-hard Reskins fan.
Old 6/11/07, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you heard about the Movie rumour???? Maybe it will continue there but I thought the same thing about the Satelite going out and we had friends over to watch the ending.. No closure..
Old 6/11/07, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sopranos The Movie!!!!!.........tenaetive release, May 2008. The title being knocked around is ''Tony's revenge''............There will be one family member survive the restaurant hit besides Tony!
Old 6/11/07, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I liked the ending, and just finished watching it for the 2nd time. Here's the one part that I question:

At the beginning of the final scene at the restaurant, Tony walks in wearing a shirt and jacket- he pauses, and looks into the restaurant and sees himself sitting at a table wearing a different shirt. Then the camera pans in, and he is sitting there at the table waiting for his family to arrive. Was he dreaming or what?
Old 6/11/07, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

I watched the end a few times on Youtube. I admit up front that I'm not a big Soprano's fan. My read on the ending was that he got whacked as he walked into the restaurant. How else could he see himself sitting at the table waiting for the family to arrive? The scene ended when he got closure seeing Meadow walk in the door.
Old 6/12/07, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not sure if any ending would have been enough to please everyone... seven seasons in eight years is pretty hard to create a closure that would satisfy all. I personal loved the series and feel that the last episode was definitely not the "ending". I speculate that there will be a movie, or maybe a "box-set" available with several altenate endings that will yield millions. Obviously their sitting on a money-making monster. It would be foolish to let it die.
Old 6/12/07, 10:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Sopranos The Movie!!!!!.........tenaetive release, May 2008. The title being knocked around is ''Tony's revenge''............There will be one family member survive the restaurant hit besides Tony!
And the actual release date ends up being November of 2015.....

Well the whole idea is that there is ALWAYS someone who looks like a hit man in any given scene, his attitude and his family relationship is always bi-polar, meadow parking the car is yet another 'what was that about?' irrelevant scene, so pulling the plug just means hey, its-over, he got away with it again, all the possibilities of how the ending of the last show could of gone are no different from any other episode, life goes on indefinitely for them with all the same possibilities....He gets you liking the bad guy again with a warm fuzzy setting, then end of story. The idea has you going back and forth over the seasons having you like him then portraying him for what he really is in society. Personally I would have preferred him getting arrested over whacked. Chase is going to get all the credit in the world from critics for 'going indie' with the ending.

After a few days to think about it, I kinda liked the ending. I just now wish the show was better. It has ventured a long way from when Furrio was around. You could end a lot of episodes with someone opening the door and having him just standing there, back when the show was truly great. Although Loosing Nancy Marchand did take a bit of a toll on the show's direction from the 3rd season on as well, leaving the writers to have to develop Tony's personality deficiencies solo over the last few years. If his mother(even if she was still there to do flashbacks if just the character had died) was still around they would of been able to do a much more thorough job of it. Oh well, poor us. I'm gonna throw Heat in the DVD player.
Old 6/13/07, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow man, I dig how you think there Kevin.....

And as far as the Heat reference......
Old 6/19/07, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont know if anyone has seen any of the "alternate" endings that are out there, but this one about made me fall out of my chair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EwUG2nSLdw
Old 6/20/07, 12:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 6/20/07, 09:30 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it's a make up your own ending.
If you think he got whacked..he did.
If you think he didn't...he didn't..

They mentioned the Bobby conversation with Tony earlier, when he says something along the lines of "You don't see it coming, everything just goes black" kinda thing.
Old 6/24/07, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

After watching the ending half a dozen times, I think he got whacked..... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Quick Reply: Sopranos Ending - WTF?