Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Screaming toddlers

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/09, 08:36 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
So, some of you advocate not throwing the shrieking kid off the plane? Interesting. Can't wait to see what you say after having one of those flights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys

And that from a man with 5 kids.

/"G'bye Jeffrey!!!"
HAHAH I think I was on that flight..Man Cos rocks!
Old 11/2/09, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my folks went on trips and I was a baby, I stayed home with family. If they really wanted to take me, we drove. When I cried in the restaurant, I was taken outside. When I wanted something in the store and started screaming, we went home. Eventually, I stopped because I learned through discipline. But when I didn't (since kids can be downright rotten at times) I was dealt with quickly and firmly.

No one is going to fault a parent for taking steps to maintain family decorum, and failing. I see moms desperately trying to quiet babies, and then eventually retreating. However, I think even the parents on this thread know that it's pretty freakin' obvious when someone is not even trying to quell a squalling child.

So instead of either lambasting the subject of this story, or parents here lashing out at those of us that "just don't understand" because we haven't procreated, let's ask the only question that really matters...what would you have suggested? It's easy for all of us to play armchair quarterback and either condemn the parents, or show empathy because "hey, kids will be kids, right?" and you've been in that situation.

To me, planes are special circumstances because everyone on that vehicle is essentially a hostage in this situation. They don't have the option of walking away from the source of the noise. Taking into consideration that the child was LOUD enough that passengers couldn't hear the instructions of the flight attendants, can we really blame Southwest for trying to ensure the comfort of the other passengers on the plane? Where do we draw the line? How much do we expect others to tolerate? Half the flight? The entire flight?
Old 11/2/09, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Didn't watch the video (I'm at work), but honestly I don't advocate throwing a kid off of a plane unless they are totally out of control. Unfortunately, airplanes anymore are nothing more than a way to get from point A to point B. I typically bring earplugs for my flights. Nothing really bothers me. My skin has grown thicker than to get upset by a kid.
I fly an average of 30,000 miles annually for work. Not even close to all the time, but enough to speak on this subject. It's not a matter of thick or thin skin. It's a matter of people wanting/needing to relax and stay calm, whether they are on vacation or trying to catch some Zs before an important meeting the next day.

I have Bose QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones, and the screams and cries of children can penetrate even the white noise. I'm not a heartless person, so yes, it is impossible for me to be at ease when someone - child or adult - is upset and crying. Even if I don't know them, it still upsets me...
Old 11/2/09, 09:34 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
When my folks went on trips and I was a baby, I stayed home with family. If they really wanted to take me, we drove. When I cried in the restaurant, I was taken outside. When I wanted something in the store and started screaming, we went home. Eventually, I stopped because I learned through discipline. But when I didn't (since kids can be downright rotten at times) I was dealt with quickly and firmly.

No one is going to fault a parent for taking steps to maintain family decorum, and failing. I see moms desperately trying to quiet babies, and then eventually retreating. However, I think even the parents on this thread know that it's pretty freakin' obvious when someone is not even trying to quell a squalling child.

So instead of either lambasting the subject of this story, or parents here lashing out at those of us that "just don't understand" because we haven't procreated, let's ask the only question that really matters...what would you have suggested? It's easy for all of us to play armchair quarterback and either condemn the parents, or show empathy because "hey, kids will be kids, right?" and you've been in that situation.

To me, planes are special circumstances because everyone on that vehicle is essentially a hostage in this situation. They don't have the option of walking away from the source of the noise. Taking into consideration that the child was LOUD enough that passengers couldn't hear the instructions of the flight attendants, can we really blame Southwest for trying to ensure the comfort of the other passengers on the plane? Where do we draw the line? How much do we expect others to tolerate? Half the flight? The entire flight?
You are correct. Part of the problem here is that we're sidetracked talking about what is really a few different issues (normal kids, bad parents, and people w/ zero tolerance for normal parts of life). Since none of us were there, we're assuming different things. While some people may be assuming an out of control kid (like there are many), others of us are assuming a flight staff on a power trip (like has also happened many times).
Channel Cartman - " Respect my Authoritay' "
Old 11/2/09, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

That is true, I think Southwest also kicked someone off a plane for being scantily clad!
Old 11/2/09, 10:10 AM
I lust for a M24

Exclamation

That is true, I think Southwest also kicked someone off a plane for being scantily clad!
Now, even with a higher tolerance for crying babies, I'd still rather be on a plane w/ scantily clad women than screaming toddlers.
Old 11/2/09, 10:27 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Gotta be honest here...I know sometimes it can't be helped, but I wouldn't take my two year old on the airplane. It just wouldn't work. You can't confine them like that. They know when they are being confined and they will attempt to display their displeasure. I would say my kids are very well mannered, but we have gotten up and left at a restaurant, before service, because the child was obviously not gonna make it. When we do eat out we make sure they are hungry, they get some sort of food right away, and we get out as fast as we can. I won't subject someone to my kids screaming. Usually my kids scream out with happiness or out of excitement.

So just a few thoughts I didn't get from the article posted...

1. Did the kid really have to be flown? Again. Sometimes it is unavoidable. I understand.
2. Was the mother alone? Could the father have been there to help? Again. Maybe she's single. Maybe the father is in Afghanistan. Who knows. But two can be better than one.
3. Distract the child. I haven't flown in years, but hand held movie players used to work for us. A book. Anything.
4. A little compassion from the flight crew. But if the kid is flat out unruly, the kids got to get off the plane. Maybe she could have changed seats with someone.
5. Was the kid in a child safety seat or booster?I think they have to be right. Again not a good situation for a kid. The kid could be just flat out nervous and scared.

These things happen.

But for me personally...I wouldn't even attempt it. My screaming kid hurts my ears just as much as yours.

Maybe the pilot should have gotten on the intercom and said..

"Don't make me come back there!"
"I'll pull this plane right over."
Old 11/2/09, 10:35 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Maybe the pilot should have gotten on the intercom and said..

"Don't make me come back there!"
"I'll pull this plane right over."

Yeah Gary, I agree. I've had Dominic on many flights, he's not even three and has been on more flights than most adults. Like I said, he's never been perfect, but he's never been a problem for more than 5 mins. Portable DVD players, coupled w/ The Wiggles DVD's, etc, work wonders. I think you see more and more people on planes w/ toddlers as society becomes more mobile and families separate. My wife's family is in Florida, we live in Ohio. It's not feasable to make that drive most times, and grandma and grandpa have to see their only grandchild, ya know?
Old 11/2/09, 10:41 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I completely understand John.

We are very fortunate to have the entire family within 60 minutes from us. And my parents next door. Though sometimes I wish I lived across country, if even for a week or two a year.
Old 11/2/09, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20780771/

So soon, we can expect a Screaming Toddler sale?
Old 11/2/09, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
This is a frequent conversation we have about crying /screaming children in Church...
The one I went attended as a kid, the parent(s) would quickly take them to one of the Sunday school rooms until they quieted down. No one else had to do or say anything. Call it common sense/courtesy. Don't know how it is these days, though.

But, back to topic - can't say for sure if that person on the plane even tried to calm her kid or not - didn't seem that way based on the article and her subsequent action against the carrier. That "me" attitude of suing the airline because she got inconvenienced is just selfish. Did she ever consider the inconvenience that the rest of the passengers were subjected to not only from her child acting up but also the from the resulting flight delay? And I don't know how she'd be able to stand the anger and ill will directed to her from the other passengers if they did remain on the flight... guess some people are just thick-skinned (or dense). Not so much blaming the kid, more like the parent. At least make the effort - if not successful, at least show (you) care.