Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Quitting Smoking!

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/13, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quitting Smoking!

As some of you may know im taking delivery of a 2014 Mustang GT manual transmission. With that being said since its my first manual transmission car i figured ill have all i can do to concentrate on the road ahead of me and shifting gears. Therefore, im going on day number 4 of no cigarettes! Granted i never really smoked alot. I smoke around ~5 cigarettes a day and none while im at work. I recently purchased the Blu e-cig starter pack and its been working. No more parliment lights for me! Its hasnt been to bad with the assistance of the E-cig so hopefully i can keep this up and by the time my stang gets delieved. Any other fellow mustang sourcers in the process or have successfully quit smoking? Lets hear your stories!
Old 3/6/13, 09:27 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Parliaments?

You must be from New York. My college roommate was from Brooklyn and he's the only person I've ever known to smoke them and that was 20 years ago.

I quit smoking reds on 7/7/07 when I took delivery of my 2007 GT/CS I affectionately now call Seven.

It was a deal with the wife. Quit smoking after 19 years get a new Mustang. Hell of a good deal.

I quit cold turkey the first week. Had a hell of a time sleeping. Then I got a prescription for Chantix and it helped. But the dreams were scary and the drugged up feeling was even worse. But I took it for about three more weeks and then one day decided I couldn't take that anymore either. But when I had stopped I no longer wanted Chantix or a cigarette.

So almost 6 years and 50 pounds later here I am. Lol
Old 3/6/13, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Parliaments?

You must be from New York. My college roommate was from Brooklyn and he's the only person I've ever known to smoke them and that was 20 years ago.

I quit smoking reds on 7/7/07 when I took delivery of my 2007 GT/CS I affectionately now call Seven.

It was a deal with the wife. Quit smoking after 19 years get a new Mustang. Hell of a good deal.

I quit cold turkey the first week. Had a hell of a time sleeping. Then I got a prescription for Chantix and it helped. But the dreams were scary and the drugged up feeling was even worse. But I took it for about three more weeks and then one day decided I couldn't take that anymore either. But when I had stopped I no longer wanted Chantix or a cigarette.

So almost 6 years and 50 pounds later here I am. Lol
No sir, im from new jersey, leave the newports to the brooklyn guys...
Old 3/6/13, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Good on ya, Joey. I walked away from them cold turkey in 1972, so I know it can be done.
Old 3/6/13, 10:19 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Never smoked but had many friends try to quit and some with success. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 3/6/13, 10:29 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Workin on quitting. Gonna start training again, doin spartan races and tough mudders and the like soon. I only started cigs in college and have successfully taken a break for a couple months at a time twice. I got up to a pack a day, last few minths its a pack a week. No e-cigs but im considering a higher end package to really curb the crave.
Girl im talking to doesnt mind the smoke, even bought me a couple packs before but im havin help me quit. After spring break its back to a smoke-free body!
Old 3/6/13, 10:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job! Keep it up!
Old 3/6/13, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yay you!!!

If it wasn't for Chantix, I don't think I would have ever quit. So glad I tried it, even with the crazy dreams. I miss my Newports when I get my drink on tho. Lol
Old 3/6/13, 11:03 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe if im out with friends ill have a couple, just a lil treat every now n then. But i gotta quit /:
Old 3/6/13, 11:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I tried quitting when I THOUGHT I should. I used the nicotine gum but after four days of the stuff I found myself wandering around the Douglas Aircraft plant feeling like I was about three feet off the ground and decided that crap was really dangerous. Then one day I started to light up and realized it was going to taste bad and they had all tasted bad for a while and it was stupid. I smoked the last few packs I had and they still tasted bad, so I just quit. I was stunned at how easy it was when I wanted to as opposed to when I thought I should.
Old 3/7/13, 04:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Quit last week with Chantix after 20+ years. I was standing there one day, smoking outside my car, thinking this has to be the dumbest thing ever: I'll put smoke in myself, but not my car. The patch gave me the craziest dreams though: like the one where I battled the evil, hover dogs! Lol
Old 3/7/13, 04:31 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Quit cold turkey 12/16/12 and couldn't be happier, smokec for 6 years and just gave it up cold turkey...

Still drives me crazy with cravings but will not give in
Old 3/7/13, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Quit cold turkey 12/16/12 and couldn't be happier, smokec for 6 years and just gave it up cold turkey...

Still drives me crazy with cravings but will not give in
Good for you
Old 3/7/13, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by joey8
As some of you may know im taking delivery of a 2014 Mustang GT manual transmission. With that being said since its my first manual transmission car i figured ill have all i can do to concentrate on the road ahead of me and shifting gears. Therefore, im going on day number 4 of no cigarettes! Granted i never really smoked alot. I smoke around ~5 cigarettes a day and none while im at work. I recently purchased the Blu e-cig starter pack and its been working. No more parliment lights for me! Its hasnt been to bad with the assistance of the E-cig so hopefully i can keep this up and by the time my stang gets delieved. Any other fellow mustang sourcers in the process or have successfully quit smoking? Lets hear your stories!
I smoked 2 packs for 40yrs and decided to try the ecig and I have not smoked a cig for over a yr. No more cig smell in my house,car and clothes. The house says cleaner. Health is better, no more cough, skin color has gotten better and no junck in my lungs. I have nothing but good to say about the ecgs.
Old 3/7/13, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Quitting smoking is easy - I've done it lots of times!

Seriously, if 5 per day is all you smoke there should be no issue with quitting since it's obviously not physical addiction involved, just mental, and you can overcome that part. Using the patch worked for me, just take it off at bedtime so you don't have shockingly vivid dreams.
Old 3/8/13, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Still going strong, this E-cig is really making it easy. And it is very mental, i feel like anytime i go to drive somewhere i need to lit up a cigarette, now i just take a few drags of my e-cig and im satisfied!
Old 3/10/13, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, smoked for 28 years, quit on Jan 1, 2003. Yup, a New Year's resolution that stuck.
Used the patch and the gum sometimes at the same time. Patch levels you for 8 hrs and the gum is handy for the cravings. Took 6 weeks, I'll not go back to riding with Joe Camel.

Lessons/Advice:
What ever the reasons are that you quit in the first place, then that's what you put your hat on when the going gets tough. Remember why you wanted to quit in the first place.

If you cut the crave, then you can break the habit.

Don't go into a situation that will make you want to smoke. I know, it's impossible sometimes, but the bars or fishing or drag races (name your fav) gotta go at least for now !

HTH,
/RZ
Old 3/12/13, 07:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Quitting smoking is easy - I've done it lots of times!

Seriously, if 5 per day is all you smoke there should be no issue with quitting since it's obviously not physical addiction involved, just mental, and you can overcome that part. Using the patch worked for me, just take it off at bedtime so you don't have shockingly vivid dreams.
Agreed. I quit too. 5 a day is not real addiction although obviously your body has gotten used to the daily nicotine. I'm willing to bet it's more mental (habitual, compulsive, out of boredom, social smoking) than a chemical addiction.

The way I did it was just straight cold turkey. It's tough, but I found the gum/patches just gave me a constant lifeline that dragged out the process. Good luck to you!
Old 3/12/13, 05:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Props to all of you who ditched the habit!
Old 3/13/13, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

still going strong! My car has been delivered just waiting to pick it up. Got to get the down payment straightened out and if im going to go under my parents policy or start my own policy.

Quick Reply: Quitting Smoking!