Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Police Complaints, Your Rights, Safety

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/05, 05:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, another post got me fired back up on this. :bang:

First of all, let me say that I appreciate law enforcement and they have a very difficult job to do. So please, no cop bashing in my thread. :nono:
Let me also say that I have never been arrested, or had my home searched, etc, but after watching various real life, true, t.v. shows (Cops, etc), one thing has me a little irritated... Am I the only one?

I do not think police should have the authority to conduct searches and make arrests while out of uniform. Specifically I'm talking about undercover 'stings' and when police serve 'no-knock' warrants.

We've all seen prostitution/drug stings, where an undercover cop conducts a drug/sex buy, then 3 other plain-clothes, dirtball looking cops come running out of the bushes with guns drawn in the 'citizens' face.

Or, worse yet... a no-knock warrant is served at 3:00 in the morning, and police break down your front door, and enter your house wearing all black, military-style clothing, guns drawn, etc... and go charging into your living room or bedroom.

My concern is for EVERYONE'S safety. I carry a 9mm (legally), and have it next to my bed every night. There's also an AR-15 nearby, that I can access quickly, should someone break into my home in an attempt to rob/murder me or rape my wife, etc. When I say everyone's safety, I mean mine, my family's, and the police officers.

If someone were to break into your home while you're dead asleep, and you wake up to a loud bang, then the next thing you see is 2 guys dressed in all black, wearing ski-masks entering your bedroom with guns... what are you going to do? Ask for identification??? Turn your lights on so you can see that it says POLICE in one inch tall letters on their shirt?

Think of the tradgedy this could cause. Same thing if I'm on the street and someone jumps out of a bush wearing a flannel shirt, ripped jeans, etc, and has a gun...

Ideally, none of this would happen, but police are human and are prone to mistakes. Maybe my neighbor's a drug dealer and the police are just one number off when they raid my house. Maybe I ask the pretty female undercover cop for a date, and I mean DATE, not sex... the next thing guys are running at me with guns...

You get the idea. How does everyone else feel about this? :scratch:
Old 5/25/05, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not paranoid enough to worry about it, let alone have a gun in my place.
Old 5/25/05, 06:22 PM
I lust for a M24

It's not about paranoia. It's about being a responsible firearm owner. Please don't turn this into a gun debate.
Old 5/25/05, 06:25 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ok......

But if anyone bursts into my bedroom like that at 3am I am shootin first and asking questions later..... I keep a .38 and .357 handy just to keep me and mine from being attacked in the middle of the night.
Old 5/25/05, 06:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May 25, 2005, 7:28 PM
Ok......

But if anyone bursts into my bedroom like that at 3am I am shootin first and asking questions later..... I keep a .38 and .357 handy just to keep me and mine from being attacked in the middle of the night.

Thank you, that's what I say. But the next thing is either being arrested for shooting a cop, or more likely, dying after 3 other cops shoot both you and yours in their defense.

Oh well, at least this might get some people thinking.
Old 5/25/05, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

I agree... but I don't

The cops do that so they can actually catch the suspect off guard, if they take the time to knock on the door chances are the suspect won't answer the door and he/she will try to escape, then instead of the cops having to deal with a 10x10 room they have to search a neighbourhood. It just makes more sence for them to take care of then rather then having to risk the suspect escaping and potentially injuring/killing an innocent by stander.

Also when the cops come in the dont just run in guns drawn, the have to identify themselves as police officers when the door is broken down. Now anyone can say they are police officers but chances are if they use a battering ram to take down the door, i dont know about you guys, i'm gonna assume they are cops.

And if you "ask the pretty female undercover cop for a date" you have nothing to worry about, the cops wearing a wire, thats evidence showing that your intentions were not to get a prostitute
Old 5/25/05, 06:39 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
If you have something to hide, like it seems you do, I would be concerned as well.

But there is relief on the way: as of October 1st, if you feel your life is threatened you have the right to defend yourself by any means, including a gun, in your house, outside it, and you car as well. As a Florida resident you should know this.
Old 5/25/05, 06:48 PM
I lust for a M24

I have absolutely nothing to hide. Just looking for other people's opinions.

I agree there's another side to the story. It just seems that once the home is entered, or after the undercover cop gets the necessary evidence... the arresting officer should be in uniform. I think that makes sence. At 3:00 in the morning in a dead sleep, I'm not going to hear someone say "police - search warrant" outside my home.
Old 5/25/05, 07:15 PM

A few of us might be wondering why you are so extremely passionate about possible hypothetical scenario, which likely won't happen... one which you are not involved in... and you have nothing to hide? There is an obvious contradiction in your dilemma.

It seems there is a lot more to your grievance and story than you are conveying in this public forum. There is a realistic possibility you are feeding half a story and a truck load full of *hit.
Old 5/25/05, 07:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@May 25, 2005, 8:18 PM
A few of us might be wondering why you are so extremely passionate about possible hypothetical scenario, which likely won't happen... one which you are not involved in... and you have nothing to hide? There is an obvious contradiction in your dilemma.

It seems there is a lot more to your grievance and story than you are conveying in this public forum. There is a realistic possibility you are feeding half a story and a truck load full of *hit.

WOW, What the heck are you talking about? Apparantly you read a little too far into my post. Yes, it's a hypothetical situation. I just don't feel that in the United States of America that police should have to make arrests while wearing ski masks!

The only thing that made me think of this is that I do enjoy watching shows such as Cops, and sometimes they actually show some of the mistakes made. Sometimes I wonder... how would I act in that situation? That's all!

There's NOTHING more to the story, quit ASSuming things, there's no "truck load full of *hit" in my post. As stated, it's just something I brough up for discussion, that I thought could be rationally discussed. I was questioning my own thoughts, and looking for other intelligent thoughts.

Clearly, you don't get that.
Old 5/25/05, 07:33 PM
I lust for a M24

BULLITT, sorry if I take your post a little personally, but you're basically accusing me of being a criminal when there's nothing in my post to convey that. I'm taking back questioning your intelligence, I'm not looking to start a flame war.
Old 5/25/05, 07:39 PM

Obey the law and you'll be able to sleep a lot better. The police should take advantage of any means to protect themselves and identities from all the scum that surrounds us.

I sense another POS liberal trying to find things wrong with this country.
Old 5/25/05, 07:47 PM
I lust for a M24

How in the heck did you get THAT c/t??? I'm liberal??? I'm one of the most politically Conservative people around... I view this as an abuse of Police/Government Powers, that's a LIBERAL issue??? :scratch: A return to Constitutional Rights and Smaller Government is a CONSERVATIVE view point!

Again, tell me where you see me breaking a law? My post was meant to be thought provoking... nothing more. I have NO problems with the law.

Get a clue.
Old 5/25/05, 08:28 PM
GT Member

I'll start off first by saying I am an undercover cop!

I'm not quite sure what you're point is, but I will say that someone stated it earlier, We DO have to announce ourselves prior to entering, and usually keep identifying ourselves while searching the entire bldg., dwelling,etc. until the situation is 10-24(all clear). Yes, unfortunately sometimes entries go bad, but they are rare. There are many reasons why we do what we do in those situations. One is the element of surprise, we don't want the bad guy to get the drop on us, and usually by doing it this way keeps things like shootouts to a minimum. Another is to preserve any arrest evidence,contraband,etc. from being destroyed. Knocking on the door until someone answers is not the way to accomplish the mission.

I too am wondering what prompted this topic. If you are not doing wrong, then you should have no worries.

I would also recommend that if multiple men wearing black masks enter your home yielding guns, that you do not try to engage them.
Old 5/25/05, 08:55 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

If multiple men in black masks enter my home unannounced.......After I pee myself in fear...then my little friend is coming out for a visit regardless.
[attachmentid=22259]
Followed by her bigger easier to shoot sister.
[attachmentid=22260]

Cops are not going to pounce my door down- and if they did, they wouldn't just cruise in without announcing...

A bad guy...Bang,buh- bye
Old 5/25/05, 09:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by The Rock 326@May 25, 2005, 9:31 PM
I'll start off first by saying I am an undercover cop!

I'm not quite sure what you're point is, but I will say that someone stated it earlier, We DO have to announce ourselves prior to entering, and usually keep identifying ourselves while searching the entire bldg., dwelling,etc. until the situation is 10-24(all clear). Yes, unfortunately sometimes entries go bad, but they are rare. There are many reasons why we do what we do in those situations. One is the element of surprise, we don't want the bad guy to get the drop on us, and usually by doing it this way keeps things like shootouts to a minimum. Another is to preserve any arrest evidence,contraband,etc. from being destroyed. Knocking on the door until someone answers is not the way to accomplish the mission.

I too am wondering what prompted this topic. If you are not doing wrong, then you should have no worries.

I would also recommend that if multiple men wearing black masks enter your home yielding guns, that you do not try to engage them.
Thank you for bringing some thought to this thread. It was prompted by 5 things...
1) A thread in 2005 Mustang where a poster was pulled over by a MD State Trooper wearing a NY Giants Jersey.
2) A news story just on the 5:00 news about someone who's rigged up a set of red and blue's to their car and has pulled people over, impersonating a cop - he was not in a full uniform though.
3) I've always wondered why these things can't be done by a uniformed officer
4) I have a CCW (I'm also in the NRA, support responsible gun rights - you know, I'm a liberal) and the great responsibilities that come with that license are always on your mind
and 5) It was being discussed on talk radio (I listen to that too - because I'm a liberal -sarcasm intended) and it was being discussed.

When I see Law Enforcement Officers in the United States of America wearing Black Masks... it seems more like it belongs in the old Iraq or other dictatorships.

Thanks for your post, and thank you for your public service - Stay safe.
Old 5/25/05, 09:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May 25, 2005, 9:58 PM
If multiple men in black masks enter my home unannounced.......After I pee myself in fear...then my little friend is coming out for a visit regardless.
[attachmentid=22259]
Followed by her bigger easier to shoot sister.
[attachmentid=22260]

Cops are not going to pounce my door down- and if they did, they wouldn't just cruise in without announcing...

A bad guy...Bang,buh- bye

You're my kind of woman!
Old 5/25/05, 09:08 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I like my little babies.......My .38 is titanium and weighs close to nothing. My hubby bought it for him, I raised hades cause I wanted it- he bought the .357 for him. I now want a 44 magnum.

In Shelby County Al. where i live, to get a CCW you write a $25 check to the sheriff get a checkout..
bam- you have a permit.

http://www.shelbyso.com/permits.html
Old 5/25/05, 09:32 PM
V6 Member

I agree that cops shouldn't be pulling people over and stuff out of uniform. Saying they should not be allowed to do undercover operations though, the point is to get enough evidence to take the criminals down and I don't know of many criminals that would give it to a cop in uniform.

Just my $0.2
Old 5/25/05, 10:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Rock 326... I got so busy watching this thread go off course, even I lost the point of it.

Let me ask you this:
I fully understand the need for cops to go undercover pretending to buy drugs, etc... but when the 'other' 3 cops come jumping out of the nearby van, why can't they be in uniform? The element of surprise is pretty much lost at that point, and isn't it better for everyone's safety to know that those men are police officers, and not the drug dealer's gang buddies?

Apparantly Needed Disclaimer in this Thread:
I have no intention of buying drugs...

assume back to my 'date' example; I agree to a date, not sex, and the guys jump out of the van. Now I'm 100% innocent and think I'm about to get attacked... I'm not worried about evidence clearing me later, I'm worried about a stressful situation turning ugly with a fight, drawing a weapon, etc.

Quick Reply: Police Complaints, Your Rights, Safety