Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Polarized sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/08 | 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Polarized sunglasses

What is everyone's opinion on polarized sunglasses. I recently picked up a pair of Oakley Whiskers, non polarized, but I found them too weak so I traded them in for a polarized set. I find them slightly irritating. Everything has a purple and green hue, and I cant see the nav screen in my car. I dont notice any benefits whatsoever. Opinions?
Old 5/15/08 | 10:41 AM
NTTAWWT

The only thing I've heard that makes them better is that the block out more sunlight, as far as the hue, it could just be the color composition of the lens. I myself try to get the best I can get, my eyes are incredibly sensitive to light. Basically, if I'm outside between sunup and sundown, I've got shades on.
Old 5/15/08 | 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

I've got Serengeti Driver polarized glasses, love them. They've got a brown tint, but I think they look great. I can see the nav screen fine, unless I tilt my head to one side or the other.

There are occasionally times when it obscures things, like the display on gas pumps, but most of the time I love them. I've had them for a couple years now.
Old 5/15/08 | 11:46 AM
I Have No Life

I know they are expensive, but Oakleys that are polarized are awsome.
No distortion/weird colours.

We were just talking about this at work.
someone was talking about how polarized lenses have that weird look.

And I thought about my oakley juliet frames which are polarized, and have NEVER noticed any of that.

So I read on their site:

Our polarized lenses are specially engineered to block the blinding rays of glare that are magnified by flat surfaces such as snow, water and pavement. Oakley polarization technology utilizes a liquid infusion process to bond the polarizing filter at the molecular level. That’s how we eliminate the haze and distortion found in conventional technologies and achieve the best polarized optics on the planet.
Old 5/15/08 | 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I know they are expensive, but Oakleys that are polarized are awsome.
No distortion/weird colours.

We were just talking about this at work.
someone was talking about how polarized lenses have that weird look.

And I thought about my oakley juliet frames which are polarized, and have NEVER noticed any of that.

So I read on their site:
There is definitely some green and purple, like looking through a sprinkler into the sun, i see it on rooftops and car windshields.
Old 5/15/08 | 01:15 PM
I Have No Life

on oakleys? really?

I don't notice it on mine.
Like slight tint but nothing weird that would throw me off or anything

I can ski in bright sun and drive in bright sun and they give no glare or snowblindness.

Last edited by Boomer; 5/15/08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 5/15/08 | 01:16 PM
NTTAWWT

boomer, the oakley juliets are awesome looking, that'll be my next pair

I notice a polka dot effect on some people's windshields
Old 5/15/08 | 01:19 PM
I Have No Life

I have 2 pairs.. the polarized blue/ice iridium and the 'xmen ruby' ones (that I had to buy another pair off ebay because my first ones got lost at a golf course.... (grrrrrrr)

bought them through an eye clinic that was an authorized dealer, cheaper than any store.
Old 5/15/08 | 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I've worn polarized Oakley Fives for about four years. They cut a lot more glare than my previous non-polarized Eye Jackets 3.0. I have noticed a slight green tint to some objects (like gray cars) but I love 'em.
Old 5/15/08 | 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

How Stuff Works - Sunglasses

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sunglass2.htm

Polarized filters are most commonly made of a chemical film applied to a transparent plastic or glass surface. The chemical compound used will typically be composed of molecules that naturally align in parallel relation to one another. When applied uniformly to the lens, the molecules create a microscopic filter that absorbs any light matching their alignment. Most of the glare that causes you to wear sunglasses comes from horizontal surfaces, such as water or a highway. When light strikes a surface, the reflected waves are polarized to match the angle of that surface. So, a highly reflective horizontal surface, such as a lake, will produce a lot of horizontally polarized light. Therefore, the polarized lenses in sunglasses are fixed at an angle that only allows vertically polarized light to enter. You can see this for yourself by putting on a pair of polarized sunglasses and looking at a horizontal reflective surface, like the hood of a car. Slowly tilt your head to the right or left. You will notice that the glare off the surface brightens as you adjust the angle of your view.

The PURPLE and GREEN you see is because the surface you are looking at is most likely Polarized as well. Some Mini-Van windshields have polarized glass and they look Purple. This is because the wavelength of light that makes it back from the windshield and through your lenses looks Purple (or Green) as you stated.

Polarized is great for everything except driving on ICE or Downhill Skiing. You WANT to be able to see the glare associated with ICE patches and Polarized lenses filter that glare out.
Old 5/15/08 | 03:39 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp

Polarized is great for everything except driving on ICE or Downhill Skiing. You WANT to be able to see the glare associated with ICE patches and Polarized lenses filter that glare out.
hahah
I've worn my oakleys skiing forever...
They are way better than getting blinded by the snow

Mind you goggles are even better...
but on those sunny days, I'm using the juliets hands down.
Old 5/15/08 | 07:03 PM
NTTAWWT

polarized blue/ice iridium...you have good taste in sunglasses as well as cars! do you have any pics of the xmen ones, i dont think ive seen them
Old 5/15/08 | 09:39 PM
I Have No Life

Got the pic off of ebay.
But those are them.

There a bunch of fake ones (ruby coloured lenses, in silver frames)
but the real deal has a purple tinge to the red.
The frames are gunmetal.

REALLY cool looking in person.

I was SO bitter when I lost my first pair.
Got the 2nd off of ebay.

I also have the screw driver to change lenses, and I'm thinkin about picking up a bunch of lenses (like the green iridium/plasma polarized) to interchange when I feel like it.

They are expensive, but honestly after wearing them for close to 9-10 years... i wouldn't go to any other sunglass.

Last edited by Boomer; 5/15/08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 5/15/08 | 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

dam boomer how much they cost i could use some
Old 5/15/08 | 09:44 PM
I Have No Life

Those brand new listed at 450-500 bucks

You can get new/used ones on ebay for about 300 bucks
but make sure they are real (case/coin/certificate)

Last edited by Boomer; 5/15/08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 5/15/08 | 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

DAM lol xD those r some pretty expensive glasses but really could use some time to save some money 1 pennie goes in the jar lol
Old 5/15/08 | 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

p.s boomer check out my new post bullet vs challanger i got a video up the challanger beats it on the drag by half a second
Old 5/15/08 | 10:20 PM
NTTAWWT

here's my ideal pair, I think I can get the lenses perscription, I may go with the lighter frame tho
Attached Images  
Old 5/15/08 | 10:24 PM
I Have No Life

Nice..yeah my Ice's are a lighter frame (silver) compared to the gunmetal, which looks darker than the ones pictured.

Greatest sunglasses i've ever purchased.
And they look just as good as they work
Old 5/15/08 | 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

man ya guys making me jealous damit lmao

Quick Reply: Polarized sunglasses