Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Over 30 Crowd!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/08, 09:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Over 30 Crowd!!!

If you are 30 or older, you will think this is hilarious!!!! If not, send it to your parents! They'll think it's funny!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... Uphill BOTH ways .. Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in heck I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...

I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a dang Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

1. When I was a kid, we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the dang library and look it up ourselves... In the card catalog!! (Do you even know what a card catalog is? Didn't think so!)

2. There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter... With a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

3. There were no MP3's or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the dang record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!
4. We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

5. And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

6. We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids' and the graphics were horrible! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

7. When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

8. Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

And there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons!

9. And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove or go build a fire ... Imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid JiffyPop thing or a pan with HOT oil and Real popcorn kernels and shake it all over the stove forever like an idiot.

10. When we were on the phone with our friends and our parents walked-in, we were stuck to the wall with a cord, a 7 foot cord that ran to the phone - not the phone base, the actual phone. We barely had enough length to sit on the floor and still be able to twirl the phone cord in our fingers. If you suddenly had to go to the bathroom - guess what we had to do..... Hang up and talk to them later.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd
Old 1/13/08, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
=jacostang;1086430] ...If we wanted popcorn........HOT oil and Real popcorn kernels and shake it all over the stove forever like an idiot.
Popcorn is STILL the BEST made this way! And yes, I still have a dedicated popcorn kettle...
Old 1/13/08, 09:52 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say that's fairly accurate...and I know for a fact if they had what they have now then some time vortex stuck them in the 80's they all go emo within 2 days
Old 1/13/08, 10:05 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am 25 and my growing up was more of a mix between you and kids today.

I grew up with the birth and evolution of the internet. so i did have to use the library to look things up the majority of my childhood.

I started playing video games when the original NES came out.

I never had cable tv so i had to watch whatever was on like 3 channels.

never had caller ID on our phone til mid high school.

didn't have a cell phone until second year into college.
Old 1/15/08, 04:32 AM
Bullitt Member

That is classic.... I remember on Sundays nothing was open, maybe the grocery store but only until 4pm.
Old 1/15/08, 06:07 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Over 30? Wait until you get a little seasoning!

My daughter turns 30 this week. There's a lot of experiences that the current under 30 crowd missed out on other than video games--the Summer of Love (6/9/69), Woodstock, and Selective Service (the draft). How'd you like to win that lottery? Congratulations, boy! Please report to your local draft board, you have just won an all expense paid trip to beautiful, exotic Southeast Asia.

There is one good thing you can say about getting older--it beats not getting any older! - Cheers!
Old 1/15/08, 10:40 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

US 50 somethings can remember even more, remember school lunches having only 1 choice, a meat? and 2 veggies with milk, no other choices.
either eat it or bring one from home in a brown paper bag.

Cell phones were not even thought about in my teen age years, we used pay phones, insert 10 cents and talk for almost 20 minutes, untill another 10 cents had to be inserted.

No video games in my teens, just pinball and bowling slide games, sort of like shuffle board, but on a smaller scale.
I remember when
Sears Roebuck came out with the Atari Pong Game in their Christmas
Wish Book for the first time.

All vehicles sold had either a 6 cylinder or a V8 ( Large or larger)
4 cylinders were few and far between until the Chevy Vega.

Boy, give me the good old days, went to Panama City, FLA. for Graduation
Gasoline was 32 & 33 cents a gallon on the Strip, depending which station was gas waring with the other.

TDS
Old 1/16/08, 03:35 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt4
Over 30? Wait until you get a little seasoning!

My daughter turns 30 this week. There's a lot of experiences that the current under 30 crowd missed out on other than video games--the Summer of Love (6/9/69), Woodstock, and Selective Service (the draft). How'd you like to win that lottery? Congratulations, boy! Please report to your local draft board, you have just won an all expense paid trip to beautiful, exotic Southeast Asia.

There is one good thing you can say about getting older--it beats not getting any older! - Cheers!

Originally Posted by TDS
US 50 somethings can remember even more, remember school lunches having only 1 choice, a meat? and 2 veggies with milk, no other choices.
either eat it or bring one from home in a brown paper bag.

Cell phones were not even thought about in my teen age years, we used pay phones, insert 10 cents and talk for almost 20 minutes, untill another 10 cents had to be inserted.

No video games in my teens, just pinball and bowling slide games, sort of like shuffle board, but on a smaller scale.
I remember when
Sears Roebuck came out with the Atari Pong Game in their Christmas
Wish Book for the first time.

All vehicles sold had either a 6 cylinder or a V8 ( Large or larger)
4 cylinders were few and far between until the Chevy Vega.

Boy, give me the good old days, went to Panama City, FLA. for Graduation
Gasoline was 32 & 33 cents a gallon on the Strip, depending which station was gas waring with the other.

TDS
You tell 'em, boys!

30...?! Are you f'ing kiding me? You're still a kid at 30. Wait till you hit 40+...then you'll really have something to complain about. Glasses for reading, regular prostate exams, energy slowing down, joints a lil' more achey than they used to be.

It's like when you hit 40, the warranty is up and things start breaking down little by little.
Old 1/16/08, 04:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
You tell 'em, boys!

30...?! Are you f'ing kiding me? You're still a kid at 30. Wait till you hit 40+...then you'll really have something to complain about. Glasses for reading, regular prostate exams, energy slowing down, joints a lil' more achey than they used to be.

It's like when you hit 40, the warranty is up and things start breaking down little by little.
Amen to that! You start to sound like kindling when you get out of bed, you have to really watch your diet ( diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I don't wish that on anybody). It's all downhill from here...
Old 1/16/08, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That $he!te is funny!!!!!!!!
Old 1/16/08, 08:57 PM
Closet American

Blood pressure often rises; have to limit the salt intake; make sure one's cholesterol is beneath a certain level so you don't develop arteriosclerosis. Then there's peripheral artery disease to worry about; potbelly syndrome; early onset of heart disease; ED; etc. etc. etc.

Dragon breath in the morning gets worse, too.

Ugh. I wish I were 30 again.

Old 1/16/08, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

You tell 'em, boys!

Amen!! New things hurt all the time and if I'm up all night it isn't by choice!!
Old 1/17/08, 01:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wink Way over Thirty

"It's like when you hit 40, the warranty is up and things start breaking down little by little. "
This is so True, First the Eyes , Although having a fuzzier vision make Women look better (Male Plus).
Good list,
Thirty... I have Kids Over Thirty. Most of the Things on Your List were Discovered during my Time and I'm using all of them, MP3, Laptop, PC Internut, Satellite TV, Ripped DVDs, The Canadian Health Care system, etc..

Remembering the Old Days is fine just don't start your Sentences with " When I was Young".
The Old Days had some good things going for it but NOW is better. Medicine, Cars, Jobs, Wealth, Housing,
Travel, Weapons (Oops, did I say That ) and the List could go on.

Old 1/17/08, 05:53 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by k3druid
Remembering the Old Days is fine just don't start your Sentences with " When I was Young".
The Old Days had some good things going for it but NOW is better. Medicine, Cars, Jobs, Wealth, Housing,
Travel, Weapons (Oops, did I say That ) and the List could go on.
It's not the good old days I miss so much--it's the good old nights!
Old 1/18/08, 12:50 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bt4
It's not the good old days I miss so much--it's the good old nights!
Eventually, you'll get to an age where you won't be able to remember what you had for breakfast in the morning...never mind "the good old nights!"

So basically your regrets will disappear along with your memory.

Nature takes care of everything.
Old 1/18/08, 01:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Here goes from somebody that turned 30 during the Reagan years.
1. Geek that I am, I had servers in my house in 1989.
2. That led to having e-mail then (20 years ago).
3. Every weekend night the local radio station would play a full album to record.
4. My dad had an answering machine with a tape in it back in the '70s.
With 2 lines, you had call waiting.
5. No caller i.d.
6. No video games until the 70's. Some guy in our town INVENTED pong.
http://www.pong-story.com/inventor.htm
7. We had a theater with inclined seating, not quite stadium but good.
8. No cable.
9. We had a screen popper (thick metal window screen type). No oil, just hold it over the heat and shake. Perfect popcorn every time.
10. We put phones in each room, some of my friends had 15ft cords.
Things were not that bad for 30 year olds.
You weren't born until I was an adult.
Heck when I was a kid ALL milk came in glass bottles (even at school).
Old 1/18/08, 05:36 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Eventually, you'll get to an age where you won't be able to remember what you had for breakfast in the morning...never mind "the good old nights!"

So basically your regrets will disappear along with your memory.

Nature takes care of everything.
Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
Old 1/18/08, 03:34 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bt4
Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
Absent minded about what? What were we talking about again?
Old 1/18/08, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get a kick out of "That 70s Show" It is very real and we had a great time with the things we had. We didn't need all that 80s stuff anyway.
Old 1/18/08, 06:32 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^That's one of my favorite shows ever, and Im only 18

Quick Reply: Over 30 Crowd!!!