Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/05, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My left hand is pretty much out of commission right now so I'm just going to cut and paste from my sisters blog.

Today was an interesting day.

We worked outside all day, our "favorite" past time of late. I helped take down a dog fence, raked straw, etc. while my mom and Sara cleaned off the porches and stacked firewood. Matthew was on my dad's tractor (big tractor, the kind with a front loader and a backhoe) watering trees and digging-up stumps. Then, he decided to move rocks. Normally, this is not a problem. They're big rocks but he digs them up with the backhoe and then loads them into the bucket to carry them to the rockpile at the edge of the yard.

Well, he was trying to get one in the front-loader this afternoon and he had gotten off the tractor to push it into the bucket and he slipped. The very big and very heavy rock smashed his hand against the bucket edge. My mom, Sara and I were on the back porch when Sara says "Um.... Matthew is hurt and there's lots of blood!" We look up and he's headed across the yard holding his left hand with his right with blood running out from around his fingers. Ick!

We decide that he needed stiches and ran him over to our family doctor. The really cool part is that they let Sara and I go back and watch! I had never seen stiches put in before and I was hoping they'd let me back. It was wicked. After Dr. Jett numbed the area (with a huge needle) he cleaned the cut out and trimmed all the dead skin off, then he pulled it open and made sure that the rock hadn't cut the main nerve that runs through that area of the thumb. I'll admit that was gross, I could see all the layers of skin almost down to the bone. Then, he put 5 stiches in and bandged it up nice and neat.

Matthew has to go back in 10 days to have them taken out. Dr. Jett did say that had he not had on his thick leather gloves he would have cut his thumb completely off. That would have been messy. And I don't think the doctors would have let me watch them put in back on. At least he's ok, but his thumb is hurting really bad tonight and it's very swollen. It's going to be sore for a loooooooooong time.
Anyway heres a pic.
Old 3/26/05, 10:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiches make you a man! I hope you didn't cry.

Old 3/26/05, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nope didn't cry, however this is not the first time I've had stitches.....I've had 64 put in my face because I got kicked by a horse.
Old 3/26/05, 10:48 PM
I'm people, and I like.

thats some beautiful work by your doc :P
Old 3/26/05, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

i remember stitches. Me and the hedgers had a fight...my hand lost
Old 3/26/05, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Twilightblu92@March 27, 2005, 12:02 AM
i remember stitches. Me and the hedgers had a fight...my hand lost
Bet that was fun
Old 3/27/05, 01:43 AM
Post *****

kicked by a horse? dang. i was hit in the head with a golf club (the 9 iron, i beleive, heck what dot i know, they're all the same :P ), but man, that must have stinked
Old 3/28/05, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I will always remember a thumb story.

I am a Project Manager in construction. My first year out of college, I worked with some good guys. One Superintendent/Safety rep was out in the field. They were trying to open a 10" gate valve that was stuck. The guy was pulling with another guy trying to open it. Well, it opened, and his thumb got caught between the wheel, and the valve.

The tip of the thumb (from the nail - up) got ripped off except for a stand of skin. He calmly came back to the office, told us he was hurt and was going to the hospital. He drove his own truck. Half way there, he realized he needed gas. So he stopped at the same gas station he always did. When the attendant came out, the hurt guy asked if he could get some help. The attendant almost freaked. He filled the truck up and told the guy to come back later and pay.

The guy went to the hospital and got it stitched back on. He came back to work later that day and never took a day off.
Old 3/28/05, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mobster@March 26, 2005, 9:48 PM
Nope didn't cry, however this is not the first time I've had stitches.....I've had 64 put in my face because I got kicked by a horse.

Note to self - do not **** off horse...