Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Old Glory Made in China! It just not Right!

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/08, 09:29 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Old Glory Made in China! It just not Right!

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/lawmake...15063309990001

Lately I have Really been Discouraged on How Few Items we have that are Made in the USA! It's Time to Make the Choice to Buy American When We Can before we Lose the Choice Altogether! The Other Evening I had to Make the Half Hour Drive back to Work to Handle a Situation. There is a Crossroads where the Highway Intersects in the Middle of nowhere leading to Some other Small Towns in my area. As I sat in My Shelby I looked around and Noticed of the Thirty or So Cars Stopped as All the Lights were Red I was the Only American Car at this Intersection. It Really Disturbed me. A Car is the Second Biggest Investment Most People have next to Their House. Gee I wonder why the Economy is so Messed up. Let's Stop Waiting for the Government to Fix Everything. Be Vocal about how important it is to Keep Our Jobs and our Products in the USA! Let your Friends Know why you Buy American Cars and How they Should Too! Years ago there was a Bumper Sticker that went Something like this. Hungry? Out of Work? Eat your Import Car! If we are not part of the Solution we are part of the Problem! Time to Fly the Flag again as we Did on our Cars after 9-11 Made in the USA Flags that is!

That's My Story and I am Sticking to it!

MGB,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/15/08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 7/15/08, 10:08 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
there are probably websites dedicated to the specific ideas you speak of .. if anyone knows of such a groundswelling movement let me know..
Old 7/15/08, 11:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Should Congress do more to make sure U.S. flags are made in America?

Yes

88%54,934No

12%7,712
I hope it ok I voted being Canadian & all that burns my butt as well work like a dog most part of my like for a new car and yes own some money, and people come over know the system better than we do or exploite it and get a new top end car in a matter of days or months.
Old 7/15/08, 11:57 AM
The Analog Admin!

FYI,

I have owned Hundreds of Cars over the Years as I Bought, Fixed up and Sold Muscle Cars over the Years to Support My Hobby . Not {one} was an Import. I did However Buy a New Dodge Avenger in the Early 90's. I was poking around under the hood and Found the MITSUBISHI Build Tag for for the Thing. At the Time I did not Know it was a Glorified Galant. I sold that car in Less Than a Year and will not make that mistake again. I know Some of FORDS Stuff is Rebadged Imports as well Example,Ford Festiva made by Kia and Mercury Villager by Nissan. I would Not consider that type of Car American Regardless of the Name Stuck on it. Be aware out there!

KC
Old 7/15/08, 11:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Lately I have Really been Discouraged on How Few Items we have that are Made in the USA! It's Time to Make the Choice to Buy American When We Can before we Lose the Choice Altogether! The Other Evening I had to Make the Half Hour Drive back to Work to Handle a Situation. There is a Crossroads where the Highway Intersects in the Middle of nowhere leading to Some other Small Towns in my area. As I sat in My Shelby I looked around and Noticed of the Thirty or So Cars Stopped as All the Lights were Red I was the Only American Car at this Intersection. It Really Disturbed me. A Car is the Second Biggest Investment Most People have next to Their House. Gee I wonder why the Economy is so Messed up. Let's Stop Waiting for the Government to Fix Everything. Be Vocal about how important it is to Keep Our Jobs and our Products in the USA! Let your Friends Know why you Buy American Cars and How they Should Too! Years ago there was a Bumper Sticker that went Something like this. Hungry? Out of Work? Eat your Import Car! If we are not part of the Solution we are part of the Problem! Time to Fly the Flag again as we Did on our Cars after 9-11 Made in the USA Flags that is!
+1. People don't realize how detrimental it is not buying American made products is. When you buy USA, the money stays here! It's not overseas fueling someone else's economy; it's fueling our economy.

At work, there are more imports than domestic cars. When I preach the buy USA idea to the import owners, they just don't get it ! (or they think I'm crazy )

At any rate, I consider myself a good citizen and will buy USA goods and services as long as I have that privilege.
Old 7/15/08, 02:57 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by HOSS429
there are probably websites dedicated to the specific ideas you speak of .. if anyone knows of such a groundswelling movement let me know..
http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/index.php
Interesting Stuff in here! Especially on Toyota! It is Really Scary!

Also Check out Do you Know where your Car is Made!

Just Google BUY AMERICAN and there is Lots of Info Out there!

I ENCOURAGE ALL TO POST GOOD INFO {links etc.} ON HOW TO BUY SELL AND PROMOTE AMERICAN PRODUCTS & SERVICES!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/15/08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 7/15/08, 03:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm not sure how to say this without people becoming angry, but here it is.
It seems to me that government don't care at all about people since they're sending all jobs in the developing nations. Knowing that, why would I support "domestic" product? I mean, since the country don't give a **** about me, why would I give a **** about the country?
Old 7/15/08, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'd agree to the most most part there Zoran if the Gov't can't keep it s--t together then why does everyone keep bailing them out. Sure I love my country & all but when they keep stickin it to me then they turn around and want my help I draw a line. Kinda like Spiderman when the fight club owner gets robbed "I don't see how that's my problem" but then his uncle was in the wrong place, I do in my Heart what I know to be morally & ethically right and damb the torpedo's.
Old 7/15/08, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

The chinese made American flag has always bugged me. I buy my flags from this Made in America flag company ( I think Lowes & Home Depot carries them)

http://www.annin.com/index.asp
Old 7/15/08, 03:55 PM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by Red Star
I'm not sure how to say this without people becoming angry, but here it is.
It seems to me that government don't care at all about people since they're sending all jobs in the developing nations. Knowing that, why would I support "domestic" product? I mean, since the country don't give a **** about me, why would I give a **** about the country?
I agree with the First Part of your Statement which is Exactly Why Americans need to Support American Companies. The Government is Not the Companies, We The People are! We need to Support Ourselves! My Point is the Government Is for the Most Part All about WIFM {What's In it For Me!} What you are Saying is Since the Government Does Not Care about Us we Should Not Care about ourselves Either. Just Don't Get that. Let me give you an Example. Say I own Company A and You own Company B. Who would you want people to buy From? From Your Company of Course. Why Because if Everybody Bought from Me you would have to Close and you would have to Let all your Employee's go. Now would that not harm your Local economy? So Lets Say Company A is in The US and Company B is in another Country. As an American Where Should I buy My Products and Services? Should I as an American want to Lose Jobs in the US. Every Time we Purchase Something of Non US Manufacture that we Could Have Purchased of US Manufacture we are saying we Do not Care and we are Selling ourselves right out of this Country. I say Simply Lets start Looking at the Labels and Lets Start Supporting Ourselves by Investing in the USA When you Can with your Purchases before it's too Late ! JUST START LOOKING AT THE LABELS and Let your Conscience be your Guide!

KC
Old 7/15/08, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

lotta food for thought there thats for the perspective Kevin.
Old 7/15/08, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want people to buy American then we need to give people the jobs to make the stuff and stop outsourcing everything.
Old 7/15/08, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read the labels and ALWAYs tired to buy American, But today there are alot products America no longer makes When American companies outsource doesn't mean we pay less. for a product We pay the same and companies make more profit.
Old 7/15/08, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

It all sounds like voyage of the damned ! even a lot of good movies done by Sony Corp
Old 7/15/08, 09:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
If you want people to buy American then we need to give people the jobs to make the stuff and stop outsourcing everything.
Do you want a job sewing flags or the job you have now?
Old 7/15/08, 11:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Do you want a job sewing flags or the job you have now?
I think you missed my point!
Old 7/15/08, 11:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The marketplace decides what gets made and by whom. We each have our own personal decisions to make when buying. Do we want to buy a Toyota made in San Antonio, Texas or a Ford made in Mexico? It's a little more complicated now.

If we decide we all want American cars from an American company and vote with our wallets, you better beleive we will be heard. However, today there are 5 billion others on the planet voting with their wallets. Until now ours were the only ones that counted, but that is slipping away as other markets become consumers as we have been for so long. I want our children to have strong professional, technical, and skilled jobs. I don't want them to become the world's cheap labor alternative. We are still the big dog on the block, and instead of being a reluctant superpower we need to be who we are. America stands for liberty and freedom and personal choice and if a foreign country or power doesn't care for it then fine. But we should not allow others to tell us how to be, f*ck them, where would they be now without us. Speaking German? Screaming Banzai? My biggest beef is the rest of the world needs to take a giant chill pill, if you don't like us, too bad. We're here to stay so deal with it.
Old 7/16/08, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
John Smith started the day early having set his
Alarm clock

(MADE IN JAPAN )
for 6am.
While his coffeepot

(MADE IN CHINA )

Was perking, he shaved with his

Electric razor

(MADE IN HONG KONG ).

He put on a

Dress shirt

(MADE IN SRI LANKA ),

Designer jeans

(MADE IN SINGAPORE )

And
Tennis shoes

(MADE IN KOREA )

After cooking his breakfast in his new

Electric skillet

(MADE IN INDIA )

He sat down with his

Calculator

(MADE IN MEXICO )

To see how much he could spend today. After setting his

Watch

(MADE IN TAIWAN )

To the radio

(MADE IN INDIA )

He got in his car

(MADE IN GERMANY )

Filled it with GAS

(from Saudi Arabia )

And continued his search

For a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end

Of yet another discouraging

And fruitless day

Checking his

Computer

(Made In Malaysia ),

John decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals

(MADE IN BRAZIL )

Poured himself a glass of

Wine

(MADE IN FRANCE )

And turned on his

TV

(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

And then wondered

Why he can't find

A good paying job

In AMERICA ..
Old 7/16/08, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I am glad I build a product here in the good but faltering USA
Old 7/16/08, 06:29 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand the frustration about items not being made in the USA, or in Canada (for me) but I completely understand why you see more imports on the road than you do American made. GM, Ford and Chrysler are all going down the tubes. We are losing a lot of business in my area and it is due to the Unions demanding, yes demanding, too much money for their employees. The cost of labour is do **** high. I know some people that work on an assembly line making $30+/hr just to count parts going down a conveyor belt. Yes, they are in a union. Then I know waitresses that work a lot harder to make $8.00/hr (non-union). As much as we complain about having to buy overseas, I think North America as a whole, has brought this upon themselves. People always demand more money for their jobs. I am in the IT field and my previous employer transfered over 20,000 jobs to India as they would save millions of dollars.

The only way we are going to stop the outsourcing is to make it affordable to make the products in North America. Do you think that majority of people are going to say "Sure, give me a pay cut so we can keep costs down and avoid having the product built overseas"? I don't think so. Not when the majority asks for a raise every 6-12 months. Last year I worked for a company that announced they were shutting the doors. This was 6 months after they announced a 500 million dollar expansion was going to be built. Why? Because due to the high cost of labour, and the value of the Canadian dollar, it was cheaper to not only build in Mexico, but to completely scrap the existing plant that I worked at. Also in the news, another huge manufacturer was going to build an addition which would cost close to 800 million dollars. After spending 5 million already, they scraped the idea because it would cost too much money to build in North America.

Last edited by adrenalin; 7/16/08 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Old Glory Made in China! It just not Right!