Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/12, 09:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!

Ok, since I have been getting quite a few questions and inquiries about HDR photography...I figured, why not make a dedicated HDR photo thread so we can all talk about HDR photography and learn from each other?

To put it simply, HDR = High Dynamic Range. It's a process by which you blend multiple exposures of the same shot into one "super" shot You get the best contrast, the best highlights, and the best shadows, all in one. Some folks don't care for it, but as you all already know, I am a huge fan. I am still learning some tips and tricks, but I can share a few. For those of you more seasoned than I am, please share your tricks as well.

To get HDR, simply take your camera, place it on a tripod, and take 3 to 5 shots of a subject, and trying to keep as still as possible. The exposures should have at least one in the ( - ) range, one at 0 EV, and one in the ( + ) range. Use a remote trigger if you have one.

* The tip I learned on my own recently, is to not use the the Exposure variant mode since it varies f stop... it makes the shots less clear, imo. I just vary shutter speed, so I keep the same f stop (f stop values vary).

Make sure you avoid movement in the background....as this will cause blur during rendering. Things like trees, clouds, etc...they move every so slightly, but will be magnified in your rendering.

Once home on your PC or Mac, use a good HDR program and blend your shots! Tadaa! I use HDRTist on my Mac, but a lot of folks use Lightroom and others.

Anyways, I am sure you will have lots of questions, but here are a few shots I took today. Comments and questions welcome. Please post all your HDR shots here too. Doesn't have to be car related.

Name:  esco1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  esco2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  esco6.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  aeg2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  231.3 KB

Name:  aeg5.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  193.4 KB

Name:  aeg7.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  177.5 KB

And a props out to my MGW.... ftw

Name:  interior1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  176.8 KB

Name:  interior2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  154.9 KB
Old 7/30/12, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey i think i see a few specks of dirt on your carpet! Lol man beatiful pics! Label me jealous haha

Once i get my car back from the shop ill do my own shots and see what i can do! But heres a few non car ones, lemme know what ya think!

P.s. ok two car shots
Attached Thumbnails The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-3781678220.jpg   The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-3278819183.jpg   The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-2391814968.jpg   The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-1431962491.jpg   The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-3952487505.jpg  

The *OFFICIAL* HDR Photos Thread....... post photos here!-image-4145499643.jpg  
Old 7/30/12, 01:58 PM
I Have No Life

CCT, the last two I can tell are HDR... what camera and program did you use? But the top ones are HDR? how did you take them? Usually of dogs, or subjects that can move easily by the wind (plants, flowers, etc), it's hard to get a stationary subject. How did you do it? nice!
Old 7/30/12, 08:30 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
CCT, the last two I can tell are HDR... what camera and program did you use? But the top ones are HDR? how did you take them? Usually of dogs, or subjects that can move easily by the wind (plants, flowers, etc), it's hard to get a stationary subject. How did you do it? nice!
I actually just used the camera straight off my iphone 4s! Turned on the HDR option, and then went into instagram, did a lil editing and uploaded em. All done right on my phone! I really do love this camera
Old 7/30/12, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDR is interesting. I'm still on the fence whether I like it or not. I'm thinking of starting to tinker with it. One thing I don't understand is what gives HDR shots that razor-sharp almost-too-sharpened look?
Old 8/3/12, 06:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came here looking for something like this Burton! Well I found it.

So this HDR is not just 1 photo then??

Or do some cameras with the HDR setting take all 3 on different exposures for you and then blend ???

I need a new camera and need some help. Def wanna do HDR tho!!
Old 8/5/12, 09:13 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JonW
HDR is interesting. I'm still on the fence whether I like it or not. I'm thinking of starting to tinker with it. One thing I don't understand is what gives HDR shots that razor-sharp almost-too-sharpened look?
Yeah it's a different type of photo. Key is to love everything. Variety is the key

At times, the ultra sharpened look is all due to the editing software. Some default settings have it set too high, or the user themselves up the sharpness to much... Can ruin the pic.

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I came here looking for something like this Burton! Well I found it.

So this HDR is not just 1 photo then??

Or do some cameras with the HDR setting take all 3 on different exposures for you and then blend ???

I need a new camera and need some help. Def wanna do HDR tho!!
Hi Anthony. HDR is usually more than one photo. Though some software can now do an LDR which is a single photo version of the multiexposure HDR. Of course, IMO, it does not look as good. I do not know of any dslr that will render and blend the hdr for you right in the camera. If it does, it would be mighty expensive. Some cameras do the AEB (auto exposure bracketing) tho... It will take multiple exposure shots for you. But you still have to render it in a 3rd party Software.

I suggest you get a high quality dslr.

Ok, some photos I took today, with light rendering only.... I was going to run an errand but never got to it lol. Darn these nice days

Name:  noel17.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  noel16b.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  204.1 KB

Name:  noel12a.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  noel10a.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  noel8a.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  noel7a.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  noel5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  noel3a.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  147.8 KB

In these 2 pairs of shots below, you can tell the difference in strength of the HDR.

Name:  noel14c.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  noel14a.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  noel13c.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  noel13b.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  157.7 KB