Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Need Advice: Got Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/06, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice: Got Ticket

Coming home from work the other day, I was engaged by a yellow dodge charger, the supposedly modded one that is yellow and black that looks like a yellow jacket---at any rate after pulling about 2-3 car lengths on him (obvious victory), and failing to notice an SUV po-po, i was pulled over for failure to signal and the obvious 'do you know what the speed limit is on telegraph?' After the banter, and too much time awaiting his return, the officer came back and states "I did not write you up for failure to signal but i did get you for speeding, that and as well, i knew you were drag racing that yellow car"---so in essence i win, but now financially lose---do i challenge the ticket just to try and get out of the points? or do i risk the cop (if he shows) telling the prosecutor no f'in way, he was drag racing, keep in mind, the only write up on the ticket is for 65 in a 50----in all honesty i had to be pushing 75-80---can i get a worse charge levied?
Old 7/7/06, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

It depends on what your record looks like, if it's pretty clean, it might not hurt to go to court and try to get the fine reduced. Otherwise, I might just pay the ticket and be done with it.
Old 7/7/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

No Tickets

Originally Posted by rocket88
It depends on what your record looks like, if it's pretty clean, it might not hurt to go to court and try to get the fine reduced. Otherwise, I might just pay the ticket and be done with it.
i have not tickets in over 5 1/2 years----i do not care about the $140...i'd like to see no points awarded----a possibility?
Old 7/7/06, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let it go. You got off light and the cop could have rolled you. pay the ticket and keep an eye out for cops next time. If you fight it you could just end up worse off.

On a side note I should give you a ticket for avatar jacking, so just think of how lucky you are that i don't.
Old 7/7/06, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like you ran up against a Daytona (yellow w/ black spoiler & stripes), probably wasn't worth your time. It has the little hemi in it. Now the SRT8 is a worthy competitor!! For 2007 the SRT8 is being made over with a vintage Superbee scheme (yellow w/ black stripes), but those aren't in production yet.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but here in TX if you fight a ticket you most definitely cannot be hit with a stiffer penalty. The worst that can happen is you have to pay the fine based on the ticket you were written. It's pretty common here for the cops to be a no-show at the court date, so it's worth it to try and fight it. Here even if the cop does show up, the judge will typically reduce the fine anyway. Good luck!
Old 7/7/06, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

By the way, many years ago I was racing a Cutlass vert and got bagged by a cop big time. He wanted to punish me, wrote me FOUR tickets. I fought them, he didn't show and they all got dismissed. It IS worth your while to fight them!
Old 7/7/06, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Sounds like you ran up against a Daytona (yellow w/ black spoiler & stripes), probably wasn't worth your time. It has the little hemi in it. Now the SRT8 is a worthy competitor!! For 2007 the SRT8 is being made over with a vintage Superbee scheme (yellow w/ black stripes), but those aren't in production yet.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but here in TX if you fight a ticket you most definitely cannot be hit with a stiffer penalty. The worst that can happen is you have to pay the fine based on the ticket you were written. It's pretty common here for the cops to be a no-show at the court date, so it's worth it to try and fight it. Here even if the cop does show up, the judge will typically reduce the fine anyway. Good luck!
actually it was the daytona charger R/T---350 horsies--no match for tune and lowered suspension------as for getting it worse, i didn't think that was possible, as he cannot cite me for anything worse then what is on the citation---of course, i'd fram it up that the officer was more then fair in his citation, and i was guilty of speeding, just would like to have the points removed or lessene----
Old 7/7/06, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

if he just got you for speeding you could go to drivers ed to erase the points
Old 7/7/06, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

do i do that proactively and schedule a court date? as well drag racing would have been 4 points, 15 over is 3 points in michigan, of course, now renewing insurance before that hits---how long do points stay on--2 years?
Old 7/7/06, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

too funny, avatar jacking......
Old 7/7/06, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by inVERTed
actually it was the daytona charger R/T---350 horsies
Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. It has the small hemi, the SRT8 has the big one. The Daytonas are way too heavy to be much of a performance vehicle.
Old 7/7/06, 10:18 PM
V6 Member

here in CA, one can pay for the ticket, attend on-line traffic school (for nominal charge) and wipe the points off the record. initial ding to pocketbook, but does well to avoid longer term insurance costs
Old 7/7/06, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would go to court and plead guilty. Some judges respect the fact that you took the time to go to court and may knock off some or all the points if you have a good driving record.
Old 7/7/06, 10:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pay, pay, make it go away. You got off light. If you fight it and that cop has to show up in court... he'll be looking for you next time. Not worth the worries.
Old 7/7/06, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

If you decide to just take it, talk to the DA. Here in NC, the DA usually takes pleas before court starts. With a clean record, might let you plead to 9 over which at least here, is fewer points.
Old 7/8/06, 05:14 AM
Bullitt Member

I always fought every ticket I ever had. The main reason is, if the cop didnt show, ypu got off at least thats the way it worked in Cali. I would always delay the court date, Basically a couple days before court I would call and reschedule. I would try to get the court date around a holiday so the cop would hopefully go on vacation. If all else fails I would ask for a reduced fine. I got off of 5 out of 7 tickets in my youth this way.
Old 7/8/06, 08:15 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Pay it, then pay mine too.
Old 7/8/06, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont fight it IMHO.You were cut some slack.But you may be able to plea for a lesser fine(if your driving records ok) before your called.In Jersey you can see the clerk before your called,and pay double the fine in some cases and they'll waive the points and wont turn it into the MVC.
Old 7/8/06, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

One thing you also might want to know. You cannot be found guilty for anything other than the ticket he gave you. So you dont have to worry about any demonstration of speed or drag racing ticket.
Old 7/8/06, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

great advice

Originally Posted by silverGTvert
One thing you also might want to know. You cannot be found guilty for anything other than the ticket he gave you. So you dont have to worry about any demonstration of speed or drag racing ticket.
well, i think i will call this monday and at least go to court...........can't hurt, luckily there was no mention of drag racing or the failure to signal warning either---if he shows, i will basically advise i am merely there to try and have the points reduced or removed----i am worried that if i do not have counsel present, that the officer will tip the prosecutor off that it was a drag racing situation---

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Got Ticket