Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Mechanical Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/12 | 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mechanical Engineering

Hello TMS. I am currently in college and am looking at becoming a ME. Are any of you on here MEs and if so any tips/ dos and don'ts?

Thanks.
Old 4/9/12 | 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Not mechanical, but Computer engineer in training here... one thing you can do is make sure you are very very good in math, or study real hard. lots of Calculus and Trig in your future.
Old 4/9/12 | 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am pretty decent in math. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 4/9/12 | 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

oo onemore thing...... dont forget once you are done, use common since and dont over analyze projects.. I work with a bunch of engineers, and we joke with them that in there college, they forgot to take Common Since 101.... Common since will fix alot of problems without over engineering it...
Old 4/9/12 | 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

My brother is a ME. Many of his friends tried it but couldn't keep up with the math. Its intense.

So thats probably the best advice. Make sure you study hard and your math skills need to be very good.

My brother went to Umass Dartmouth and theres usually about 1000 freshman coming in wanting to do engineering and only about 100-150 make it through the four years in that major. I'd imagine its the same at many other schools.
Old 4/9/12 | 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

BSME plus a MS plus the last 16 years or so working in product development.

My question is why do you want to go for a BSME?

For the others, there are two types of engineers. There are those with the knack for it and those who are engineers because they were good at school. Good at school engineers cause most of the problems.
Old 4/9/12 | 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have looked at every possible major here at UNO. I can't really transfer anywhere because of my car note on the 5.0

I have looked at every possible major and ME is something I looked at when I first started college but took a bunch of general courses. I left for a year and a half then went back last semester.
Old 4/9/12 | 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12

For the others, there are two types of engineers. There are those with the knack for it and those who are engineers because they were good at school. Good at school engineers cause most of the problems.

definatly, the eningeers here are very book smart... they just tend to overlook the simple things.
Old 4/9/12 | 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I have looked at every possible major here at UNO. I can't really transfer anywhere because of my car note on the 5.0

I have looked at every possible major and ME is something I looked at when I first started college but took a bunch of general courses. I left for a year and a half then went back last semester.
C's get degrees!!
Old 4/9/12 | 04:01 PM
NTTAWWT

ME was my second choice in college. I hated every non-creative minute of it. I was scheduled to take 3-4 math based courses every semester the entire length of college. Moved to accounting and management, and while engineering projects still intrigue me, I'm definitely glad I'm at where I'm at.
Old 4/9/12 | 04:03 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

I hated UNO. wasted 2 years of my life there.
Old 4/9/12 | 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

I hated UNO. wasted 2 years of my life there.
Yea UNO sucks. Especially the skip cards. But ya gotta love those rascally wild cards that let you change it to the color of your choice lol

But really, what's UNO?
Old 4/9/12 | 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

And I just changed my major to ME after 3 semesters of nursing
Old 4/9/12 | 04:35 PM
NTTAWWT

I'm guessing University of New Orleans
Old 4/9/12 | 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

right...
Old 4/9/12 | 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

My suggestion is to decide what you are planning to do with the degree. I don't know how the school your at ranks on difficulty but it's not an easy degree but the pay is good out of the box.

However, engineering as a career in this country isn't what it used to be when this country was based on making things and going to the moon.
Old 4/9/12 | 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

AlsCobra its not bad but if I do ME none of my credits(3years of courses) will transfer except my 2 english classes transfer. So I wasted all this time and money.

Out the box you can make alot of money.

If this doesn't work then idk.
Old 4/9/12 | 09:16 PM

AlsCobra its not bad but if I do ME none of my credits(3years of courses) will transfer except my 2 english classes transfer. So I wasted all this time and money.

Out the box you can make alot of money.

If this doesn't work then idk.
I hear ya. I deal with a lot of different engineers here. The ME's are the worst. Maybe because I was a mechanic for so long and these guys just know numbers. Nothing about actual mechanical equipment. It's just kinda sad.
Old 4/9/12 | 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I hear ya. I deal with a lot of different engineers here. The ME's are the worst. Maybe because I was a mechanic for so long and these guys just know numbers. Nothing about actual mechanical equipment. It's just kinda sad.
Because through several decades actual hands doing was removed from engineering course work. Education became math based. Put this on top of what has happened to grade and highschool education well it's not really education anymore but I digress. The problem is that people are tracked and herded to be fungible human resources (it's how schooling is designed, its 19th century roots from the Prussian system) instead of creative thinking talent. Good engineering is the artistic application of science.

For electronic and computer work it was relatively easy to keep hands on stuff. But for mechanical it requires a machine shops, very expensive lab equipment, etc and so forth. It is unlikely a someone is going to hurt himself coding but playing with a milling machine or a large electric motor or an internal combustion engine or a wide variety of other mechanical things is another story entirely.

So instead the schooling focuses on grunt math work. That's very little of engineering that I have experienced. I suppose if I had entered into space craft design or some hidden away analysis group it might be different. But I make stuff for a living.
Old 4/9/12 | 10:40 PM

The thing that get me is the sense of believing that an engineer knows what the hell is really going on with equipment. That's just from my experience with the engineers I deal with on a daily basis. It usually takes millwrights and and equipment operators to gang up on an engineer to finally talk the real world sense into these guys. They have pretty much taken all real world experience out of the engineering education. At least the ME education. Chemical, civil, electrical, really smart guys with a lot of really good ideas and reasoning. ME not so much.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Engineering