Search this Thread

Old 7/22/07, 07:05 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt Damon Trashes Bond Character

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/P...ow/2223537.cms

“I just think fundamentally they're just very different things.”

Well, duh.

He’s just mad because the Bond films are bigger and 007 could kick his ****.
Old 7/22/07, 07:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why did he even go there and what does he think he was going to accomplish with his words????
Old 7/22/07, 10:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've read the Bourne trilogy or any part of it you'll have formed an image in your mind of Jason Bourne. That's the wonderful thing about novels and it's why they can be so hard to translate into movies.

I think Roger Moore did the best to emulate the James Bond from the books but no one can hold a candle to Sean Connery's on screen Bond until Daniel Craig came along and redefined the role once again.

Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides is one of my all time favorities both for the complexity of the plot and the sheer poetic usage of English in it. But I think Nick Nolte and Barbara Streisand were perfect casting choices to portray the small slice of the book that made it onto the screen.

And Matt Damon is not Jason Bourne. Far too soft. I think he's envious that Daniel Craig tackled a role that has been defined and redefined for over 40 years and succeeded hugely at it while he (Damon) got at best lackuster reviews reviews on his part in the Bourne flicks. I wanted them to be good, but they weren't.

Oh, the fragility of Hollywood egos.
Old 7/22/07, 11:14 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by scottie1113
I think he's envious that Daniel Craig tackled a role that has been defined and redefined for over 40 years and succeeded hugely at it while he (Damon) got at best lackuster reviews reviews on his part in the Bourne flicks. I wanted them to be good, but they weren't.

Oh, the fragility of Hollywood egos.

And I happened to like the Bourne films. I thought the Ludlam novels - while heavily altered out of necessity - translated quite well. I didn't even mind Matt Damon's 'against-type' portrayal, which added an interesting sort of verismilitude to the films, I thought.

But Damon is no Daniel Craig...and you're right, he's jealous of the fact that Craig has definied Bond for the 21st century (interestingly, Craig's Bond is far more gritty and visceral, similar to the tone of the Bourne films).

I suspect Damon is also jealous of the fact that Daniel Craig's Bond could wipe the floor with Damon's Jason Bourne.

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jack Bauer

Notice anything interesting there? Coincidence, perhaps...?

Old 7/23/07, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The new Bond looks like a Hobbit on steroids! Small head big ears!
Old 7/23/07, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Only the first Borne movie was decent, the two others seem like re-hashes ala Matrix parts 2/3 train wrecks. Even the level of anger/being a badass just doesn't work like it did in the sequels(both trilogies actually). But everyone wants their easy payday I guess. Other then his performances on screen, Damon is an idiot. Most actors need to just keep their mouths shut when they're not reading lines, and just be happy they lucked into the easy job on planet earth.
Old 7/23/07, 04:38 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Only the first Borne movie was decent, the two others seem like re-hashes ala Matrix parts 2/3 train wrecks.
I thought the first Bourne sequel was every bit as good as the original. Not sure about the second sequel, yet - that remains to be seen. How did YOU get to see the second Bourne sequel when it hasn't even hit theaters yet?

...and just be happy they lucked into the easy job on planet earth.
It's actually not as easy as it seems. Less than 3% of actors in Hollywood are able to make a living at it, the rest struggle with stress trying to "make it." And even those who DO make it put in long hours when they're working (often 15 hour days) and aren't guaranteed work consistently.

Of course, the best of the best work pretty regularly and make amazing money...so there's always that. If you don't mind paparazzi and crazies following you around the world.
Old 7/23/07, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I thought the first Bourne sequel was every bit as good as the original. Not sure about the second sequel, yet - that remains to be seen. How did YOU get to see the second Bourne sequel when it hasn't even hit theaters yet?

It's actually not as easy as it seems. Less than 3% of actors in Hollywood are able to make a living at it, the rest struggle with stress trying to "make it." And even those who DO make it put in long hours during shoots and a public that is constantly fawning after them.

Of course, the best of the best make amazing money...so there's always that.
I saw enough in the trailers to see its nothing but more of the same. The second one did what the continuing matrix cash cows did, took a movie that HAD an ending and 'dragged' it back to life. Just like the matrix has repeat fight scenes, trance/dance scenes and the like, Bourne follows suit. I thought the Supremacy was butt stale. Without Franka Potente, Damon is left to falter on his own. All the confused 'who what?' stuff was used up by the first movie, and the follow up have the worlds smartest agent making some of the dumbest decisions possible. It's well-written crap.

I did mention the ones that lucked into the job. There are a few actors who will flat out say in an interview that its the easiest job in the world(like Nicholson), and then all the idiots who love to talk about how hard it is in 'making of' snippets-Jennifer Annison epitomizes this-she's never even PLAYED a role. 2 months of work, $20mil, and a crew of people following you around for every wipe telling you how wonderful you are. It ain't exactly being a roofer in Miami in the summer. If you want proof that even a monkey can do it, only two words are needed-Nicholas Cage

You can pretty much count sequels that were better then the originals on one hand

Godfather part II(and should of stopped there)
The Empire Stikes back(and should of stopped there)
Aliens(and should of stopped there)
Terminator 2(and should of stopped there)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade(makes you actually forget Temple of Doom)

Oh, and of course
Army of Darkness(and should have at least 3 more sequels)

If Bruce Campbell was in the new Bourne sequel as the enemy and he chainsaws Damon into pieces, then I would bother paying to see it. Groovy
Old 7/23/07, 07:06 PM
Closet American

I saw enough in the trailers to see its nothing but more of the same.
Well, trailers made Transformers look GOOD, and it was a steaming pile of crap.

I thought the Supremacy was butt stale. Without Franka Potente, Damon is left to falter on his own. All the confused 'who what?' stuff was used up by the first movie, and the follow up have the worlds smartest agent making some of the dumbest decisions possible.
Well, most everyone I know thought Supremacy was as good as - or better - than Identity. And judging from this, it seems you're in the minority.

It's well-written crap.
That's an oxymoron. You're basically contradicting yourself there.

I did mention the ones that lucked into the job. There are a few actors who will flat out say in an interview that its the easiest job in the world(like Nicholson), and then all the idiots who love to talk about how hard it is in 'making of' snippets-Jennifer Annison epitomizes this-she's never even PLAYED a role. 2 months of work, $20mil, and a crew of people following you around for every wipe telling you how wonderful you are. It ain't exactly being a roofer in Miami in the summer. If you want proof that even a monkey can do it, only two words are needed-Nicholas Cage.
Well, I work with this industry, and while I agree the top 1% of "stars" (not actors, mind you, but "stars"), do have an easier time than the rest, unless you're VERY talented, it's fleeting. Many are here today, gone tomorrow. Take Vin Diesel - his start was rising fast a couple of years ago, now he's practically BEGGING Universal to make another Fast and Furious movie cause his career is tanking and Babylon A.D. looks as though it will be an expensive, over-budget flop.

The people to whom you refer are the rarest of the rare, and it's true some lucked into it. Others clawed their way up from the bottom.

So while it may not be as physically arduous as a manual laboring job, it can come with its own set of problems. The consolation is the admittedly ridiculous money these people make - for as long as Hollywood still wants them, that is. It's an unforgiving business; don't be fooled.
Old 7/24/07, 10:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, trailers made Transformers look GOOD, and it was a steaming pile of crap.
The trailers looked like cars that turn into robots to me, passed on that one too...I guess I was right about the trailers on that one

Well, most everyone I know thought Supremacy was as good as - or better - than Identity. And judging from this, it seems you're in the minority.
Not the minority I know. Some people are not that easily entertained. Its one thing to see the 5th sequel to a horror movie as you don't expect it to require much thinking. There really wasn't any feeling of an incomplete movie(nor was it ended in the premise that there was more to come). It made money, so take what worked, go bigger with the shooting and crashes and it will make money. It wasn't a BAD movie, but it sure as hell wasn't better.

That's an oxymoron. You're basically contradicting yourself there.
And an almost perfect one at that

Well, I work with this industry, and while I agree the top 1% of "stars" (not actors, mind you, but "stars"), do have an easier time than the rest, unless you're VERY talented, it's fleeting. Many are here today, gone tomorrow. Take Vin Diesel - his start was rising fast a couple of years ago, now he's practically BEGGING Universal to make another Fast and Furious movie cause his career is tanking and Babylon A.D. looks as though it will be an expensive, over-budget flop.

The people to whom you refer are the rarest of the rare, and it's true some lucked into it. Others clawed their way up from the bottom.

So while it may not be as physically arduous as a manual laboring job, it can come with its own set of problems. The consolation is the admittedly ridiculous money these people make - for as long as Hollywood still wants them, that is. It's an unforgiving business; don't be fooled.
I'm not saying its easy to get to the top, but out of an ENORMOUS pool of hard-working actors trying to get to the top, Its amazing how many relatives of, or people having sexual relations with established people in the business mysteriously have such a high percentage of 'talent'. Seems like a .001% ratio for 'normal' art/acting school graduate make it when it goes up to roughly 90% chance if you have a 'hook-up' with or without ANY experience.

What a coincidence....Take 50% of the 'big' stars and you find SURPRISE! They are related to or banging someone already big in Hollywood. And the words(nails on chalkboard) Nicholas Cage returns again... Or Drew Barrymore, or David Arquette, or any of the other scabs that get two major roles a year...Talent must be genetic Over the years I have gone from seeing a movie a week to maybe three a year in theatres. Not that I don't mind watching a Micheal Bay movie at home on cable, I just have yet to pay for it.

When the next Layer Cake/Heat/Fight Club/Bourne Identity/****** comes out I'm there...
Old 7/24/07, 05:09 PM
Closet American

When the next Layer Cake/Heat/Fight Club/Bourne Identity/****** comes out I'm there...
And if we're lucky, that will be Bond 22.

Although if you liked Heat, you may want to see Righteous Kill. Starring Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, the plot will revolve around police investigators hunting a serial killer, with the early twist being (from the very first scene) that one of them is the killer in question.

Old 7/24/07, 05:29 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy snoozarama
So lets watch Al Pacino play the same guy he's played for the last 30 years of his life..a PO'd italian..oh joy. DeNiros range isn't much greater but at least he has "some" range

Sorry mate but i'll pass
Old 7/24/07, 05:30 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by burningman
Holy snoozarama
So lets watch Al Pacino play the same guy he's played for the last 30 years of his life..a PO'd italian..oh joy

Sorry mate but i'll pass
Non-believer!

Old 7/24/07, 05:48 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
hahah guilty as charged
Old 7/24/07, 05:58 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Holy snoozarama
So lets watch Al Pacino play the same guy he's played for the last 30 years of his life..a PO'd italian..oh joy. DeNiros range isn't much greater but at least he has "some" range

Sorry mate but i'll pass

PO'd Italian?! . . . . .

. . . . what about Mr. Montana? You know . . . that political refugee from Cuba!

Or . . . Mr. Brigante. The Puerto Rican just trying to go straight after some struggles earlier in his life.
Old 7/24/07, 06:40 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Holy snoozarama
So lets watch Al Pacino play the same guy he's played for the last 30 years of his life..a PO'd italian..
Aren't they all?
Old 7/26/07, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Holy snoozarama

Sorry mate but i'll pass
I love both of them but kinda sorta not exactly excited about the two being paired again in a crime drama. They weren't 'together' in the Godfather and Heat was the big pairing of the two on screen. Should of paired Pacino with Gene Hackman Gene Hackman needs to do a role like being a serial killer, if hes a 'bad guy' its always in the Crimson Tide vain.

I think of his later movies, Any Given Sunday, Heat, and Carlito's Way worked perfectly with Pacino's demeanor and didn't seem as having him simply put in a movie because he's Pacino.

Glen Gary/Glen Ross, Insomnia, The Devil's Advocate, and Scent of a Woman weren't horrible by any means(gg/gr being fantastic) but definitely Pacino being typecast. I actually thought Lemon, Spacey, and Baldwin stood out in GG/GR and hey-Al Pacino is in it too! Ed Harris always does the get mad veins bulging out the forehead thing...

Di Nero PUMPS out 3-5 movies a year, but he rarely steps out of character, he is the definition of typecast. Still love him, but I can't remember the last time I paid to see a movie he was in(unless the g/f dragged me to the Focker movies). Heat, Goodfellas, and Awakenings maybe
Old 7/26/07, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I just finished the Bourne trilogy a week and a half ago and was floored by how much more awesome the book was compared the movies....

The books are straight-up-action-packed-thriller madness.... I highly recommend reading it. The movies could be so much awesomer
Old 7/26/07, 06:56 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I love both of them but kinda sorta not exactly excited about the two being paired again in a crime drama. They weren't 'together' in the Godfather and Heat was the big pairing of the two on screen. Should of paired Pacino with Gene Hackman Gene Hackman needs to do a role like being a serial killer, if hes a 'bad guy' its always in the Crimson Tide vain.

I think of his later movies, Any Given Sunday, Heat, and Carlito's Way worked perfectly with Pacino's demeanor and didn't seem as having him simply put in a movie because he's Pacino.

Glen Gary/Glen Ross, Insomnia, The Devil's Advocate, and Scent of a Woman weren't horrible by any means(gg/gr being fantastic) but definitely Pacino being typecast. I actually thought Lemon, Spacey, and Baldwin stood out in GG/GR and hey-Al Pacino is in it too! Ed Harris always does the get mad veins bulging out the forehead thing...

Di Nero PUMPS out 3-5 movies a year, but he rarely steps out of character, he is the definition of typecast. Still love him, but I can't remember the last time I paid to see a movie he was in(unless the g/f dragged me to the Focker movies). Heat, Goodfellas, and Awakenings maybe
I enjoyed Di Nero's characters in 'Jackie Brown' and 'Men of Honor'.
Old 7/27/07, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Although I'm not the quite the literary artist most of you are on this board (which is a compliment BTW), I have a few things to add to this whole Bond - Bourne MOVIE thingy.

Without Bond there would not be a Bourne - However without Bourne there would not be a new Bond....

Quick Reply: Matt Damon Trashes Bond Character