Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Marlin Attack!

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/05, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By First Coast News Staff

OFF DARIAN JUNGLE, PANAMA -- An Atlanta area family had a very frightening experience while on a Fourth of July weekend fishing trip off the coast of Panama - and it was all caught on video.

Marietta resident Robert Schultz, his 18-year-old son Stephen and 20-year-old daughter Allison were on a fishing trip before Stephen went off to college at Colorado State.

Stephen had a Black Marlin on the line about 30-miles off Darian Jungle, Panama.

The beautiful fish, estimated to weigh about 600 pounds, had jumped a couple of times and then unthinkable happened.

The marlin came out of the water straight toward the boat. Part of the fish's body hit the side of the boat and part of its head hit teen fisherman Stephen.

Crew members quickly cut the fish loose and then family and crew turned their attention to Stephen who was on deck bleeding from the mouth and nose.

Schultz says "I saw it coming at me. I didn't have time to react. I was in shock and I was scared."

It took two hours to go the thirty miles back to shore and boat radioed ahead so a plane would be waiting. Stephen was flown 100 miles north to National Hospital in Panama City where x-rays showed Stephen's left sinus walls were broken in four places. He also suffered an inch-and-a-half cut in the back of throat and numerous lacerations inside the cheeks.

Much of the swelling has gone down on Stephen's face. The orthopedic surgeon is hoping the sinus bones will heal without having surgery.

Stephen says the incident hasn't his mind about going out in the water and fishing. He says "things happen."

Click to see the Live Video!
Old 7/19/05, 07:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Blimey I bet he will be having dreams about that for years to come!
Old 7/19/05, 07:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

WOW! That had to be horrific! Its amazing what the human body can withstand and how it heals.
Old 7/22/05, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Not as bad as that and no video but....

Three family members say a Flying Fish jumped out and hit our uncle in the head in shallow water off Hilton head Island.