Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Lions in the southwest

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05 | 05:54 AM
GTR Member

I actually hope the Science types actually manage this. I am all for reintroduction of lost species (I would llove wild wolves to be reintroduced here).

Article from the BBC

Big game 'could roam US plains'

If a group of US researchers have their way, lions, cheetahs, elephants and camels could soon roam parts of North America, Nature magazine reports.
The plan, which is called Pleistocene re-wilding, is intended to be a proactive approach to conservation.

The initiative would help endangered African animals while creating jobs, the Cornell University scientists say.

Evidence also suggests, they claim, that "megafauna" can help maintain ecosystems and boost biodiversity.

"If we only have 10 minutes to present this idea, people think we're nuts," said Harry Greene, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at Cornell University, US.

"But if people hear the one-hour version, they realise they haven't thought about this as much as we have. Right now we are investing all our megafauna hopes on one continent - Africa."

Wild America

During the Pleistocene era - between 1.8 million to about 10,000 years ago - North America was home to a myriad of mega fauna.

Once, American cheetah (Acinonyx trumani) prowled the plains hunting pronghorn (Antilocapra americana) - an antelope-like animal found throughout the deserts of the American Southwest - and Camelops, an extinct camelid, browsed on arid land.

But man's arrival on the continent - about 13,000 ago, according to one prevalent theory - pushed many of these impressive creatures to extinction.

Their disappearance left glaring gaps in the complex web of interactions, upon which a healthy ecosystem depends. The pronghorn, for example, has lost its natural predator and only its startling speed - of up to about 60mph - hints at its now forgotten foe.

By introducing living counterparts to the extinct animals, the researchers say, these voids could be filled. So, by introducing free-ranging African cheetahs to the Southwest, strong interactions with pronghorns could be restored, while providing cheetahs with a new habitat.

Public acceptance

Other living species that could "stand in" for Pleistocene-era animals in North America include feral horses (Equus caballus), wild asses (E. asinus), Bactrian camels (Camelus bactrianus), Asian (Elephas maximus) and African (Loxodonta africana) elephants and lions (Panthera leo).

"Obviously, gaining public acceptance is going to be a huge issue, especially when you talk about reintroducing predators," said lead author Josh Donlan, of Cornell University. "There are going to have to be some major attitude shifts. That includes realising predation is a natural role, and that people are going to have to take precautions."

However Americans might do more than put up with their new compatriots - they might actually welcome them.

According to Dr Donlan and his colleagues, the re-wilding plan would offer ecotourism and land-management jobs to help the struggling economies of the Great Plains and Southwest.

Dr Donlan said that large tracts of private land are probably the most promising place to start, with each step carefully guided by the fossil record and the involvement of experts and research.

"We are not advocating backing up a van and letting elephants and cheetah out into the landscape," he said. "All of this would be science driven."

Old 8/18/05 | 06:16 AM
Post *****

Interesting . . . .

Thanks, James!
Old 8/18/05 | 07:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Why don't the repopulate the more "recent" animals into the southwest that was driven out by man, first? Coyotes, wolves, moutain lions, bears, bison, etc...
Old 8/18/05 | 07:37 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by GhostTX@August 18, 2005, 9:37 AM
Why don't the repopulate the more "recent" animals into the southwest that was driven out by man, first? Coyotes, wolves, moutain lions, bears, bison, etc...
They are going to Africa . . .

Seriously, I was having the same thoughts. It usually is not a good idea to introduce non-native species to a new ecology system.
Old 8/18/05 | 08:18 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@August 18, 2005, 8:40 AM
They are going to Africa . . .

Seriously, I was having the same thoughts. It usually is not a good idea to introduce non-native species to a new ecology system.
Ever seen Jurassic Park?!

Seriously, as cool as it would be to see a wild elephant in the states, it isnt natural and I think relocating animals like that to an area they are not origionally from could be hazordous to humans as well as the animals.
Old 8/18/05 | 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think that's boarderline insane. Re-introduce the bears, wolves, and other more recent animals sure, I'm all for it.

The elephants and cheetahs and such, that's rediculous. First they are not likely to be the same species that actually lived here, may close but not the same.
Secondly, there is relatively little evidence that humans arrival here actually led to the extinction of the animals that used to be here. When people arrived here, our numbers were relatively small and not likely to lead to so many species going extinct in so short a time span, plus evidence points to human arrival in N. America near the end of the last Ice Age, so the climate was changing which likely killed off most of these animals. The bigger the animal the harder it is for it to adjust to changes in its environment.

I don't want to see any animals go extinct, but that's no reason to try to recreate a N. America that hasn't existed for 10's of thousands of years.

I also don't think people would accept having cheetahs in their back yard. It took a while for people to accept wolves back into Yellowstone National Park, and everyone knew they had been there and would have still been there if not for killing them.
Old 8/18/05 | 10:31 AM
Post *****

man i was sooo thinking of Jurassic park right now. but you know, if we tweaked it just a little bit, that whole theme park idea could infact work.....

anyhoo, i do at least hope tha it works, we can reintroduce the species that we as a species annihilated through our own stupidity.
Old 8/18/05 | 12:00 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I like the idea. I'm pretty sure they will change some of the land to resemble their ecosystem.
Old 8/18/05 | 12:24 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@August 18, 2005, 1:03 PM
I like the idea. I'm pretty sure they will change some of the land to resemble their ecosystem.
$$$$$$$$$$
Old 8/18/05 | 12:27 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Yea, money would be a big issue
Old 8/18/05 | 12:28 PM
Post *****

"A DINGO STOLE YOUR BABY!?!"
Old 8/18/05 | 01:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@August 18, 2005, 12:30 PM

Yea, money would be a big issue
And fencing...
Old 8/18/05 | 01:13 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@August 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
"A DINGO STOLE YOUR BABY!?!"
Old 8/28/05 | 12:15 PM
Post *****

them ice-age era skwerls are gonna be pretty tough to handle, dontcha think? here in RWC, we have enough prblems with the regular one... dirty little buggers....

Old 8/28/05 | 07:38 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

I'd like to have a kangaroo as a pet, maybe they can be introduced... lol
Old 8/29/05 | 06:38 PM
Post *****