Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The last bullit you will ever need

Old 6/27/14, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
as far as rounds go a well placed wad cutter is going to stop what ever is coming at you - a bullet proof vest of course.
Old 6/27/14, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
what should my next handgun be?
Depends.... CCW? Home Defense? Car Gun?

What are your preferences for it?

As far as versatility goes, Glock 19s are really hard to beat.

Glock 34s and the H&K P30L are pretty solid as far as large handguns go. FNs different handguns are nice to shoot as well.

I personally have an M&P that I like. It really boils down to your needs and preferences.

Old 6/27/14, 08:01 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anything this dcikhead will let you.

Old 6/27/14, 08:17 PM
Post *****

I'm a live hard 1911 fan, but I think the .40S&W filled the niche for a pretty powerful round combined with increased magazine capacity.
That being said, I don't like Glocks because I'm old school and like a safety. Too many people (incl police) have fired the gun accidently even with the two stage trigger.
And I also hate pistols with a decocking lever. Having to push the safety up to fire is completely asz backwards!! Imagine having to remember that being suddenly awakened in the dark.
So I think Ruger has another hit on their hands with the SR-40 and SR-40c. Home or carry, lightweight, two stage trigger with 'down to fire' thumb safety, 15 rnds/mag.
I have no use for a 9mm. Like the .38 Special, rounds can bounce off...
Then again, I don't own any guns. I only repeat what I read on the interwebs.
Old 6/27/14, 08:23 PM
Post *****

btw, how'd that LCR work out? You never said...
Old 6/27/14, 09:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I still do this with pistols if I get a new one--carry it around the house with you everywhere, using your trigger hand to actuate all of the functions (safeties, hammer, bolt release, etc.). Do it with two magazines empty except for one dead shell. As you go through an evening, when it comes to your immediate attention, operate everything except the trigger including the bolt, and do it the same way every time. Not the same sequence, but perform each action the same way every time. Do everything you can that the operator needs to be able to do with the weapon sans firing techniques, including changing magazines. Do it the same way, every time. After a week or two of doing that every night, you will have helped start the tendencies you SHOULD have while operating the firearm. Then you go out and practice at the range.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 6/27/14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 6/27/14, 11:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Whichever you like best.

Seriously, get whatever you handle the best and can shoot the best. Go put a couple thousand rounds through, and go take an advanced pistol course somewhere. The knowledge learned at such a course is HUGE for people who carry a gun or use one at home.
Old 6/28/14, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Anything this dcikhead will let you.

I'm thankful that I'm 30 miles south of chitcago.
Old 6/28/14, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

btw, how'd that LCR work out? You never said...
Its one of the most comfortable guns I've had for carry. Belly gun Kicks pretty good with the 357's in it. I wouldn't trust myself shooting farther than 15 feet lol. I'm not as accurate with it as I am with my Kimber UC. Of course were talking two different guns now. More grip space on the Kimber.
I'm not really in the market for a new one, I just wanted to see if some of the suggestions would get me motivated. Local gun shop has a huge selection of hand guns..HUGE
http://www.megasportsfirearms.com/
Old 6/28/14, 10:28 AM
Cobra R Member

My criteria for a handgun that I will carry:

- It's super reliable
- I like everything about it, or can easily change what I don't like (without effecting reliability)

As long as it's extremely reliable I don't really care what it is. That does ultimately narrow down the choices to only a few different models, though. Unfortunately not too many guns made these days that are very reliable, especially for under $1000. I'd love to carry a 1911, but the only way I'd do it is to have a good 1911 smith work it over, and that's going to run a good $1500 total...can't justify that when a Glock or M&P is only $500.

I still want to get a USP as well, in 9mm. Trying to find one of the used ones that go for stupid low prices.

Too many folks buy their carry guns based on looks or feel alone, when the important part should be making sure it doesn't fail, especially when the weather is bad, or you are all bloody and it gets all over the gun. It's fun seeing all the different guns fail in the classes I've taken, I've seen all of them puke at one point or another, but Glocks, M&Ps, H&Ks and older Sigs really hold up well and rarely get a malfunction or failure. Seen a couple real nice 1911's too, of course the out of the box ones almost ALWAYS fail hard.
Old 6/28/14, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Very interesting thread, and I'm glad to see so many TMS guys interested in this hobby too. I have a M&P 40c that I got with intentions of getting my CCW. I can't say I love the trigger, but I haven't had any issues with it with almost 700 rounds through it so far, of all different types of ammo, including 200 rounds of Minuteman Munitions reloads.

I don't have much else to contribute to this thread, but I wanted to subscribe to see what I can learn. I'm definitely an amateur and want to soak up as much knowledge as I can.
Old 6/28/14, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Too many folks buy their carry guns based on looks or feel alone, when the important part should be making sure it doesn't fail, especially when the weather is bad, or you are all bloody and it gets all over the gun. It's fun seeing all the different guns fail in the classes I've taken, I've seen all of them puke at one point or another, but Glocks, M&Ps, H&Ks and older Sigs really hold up well and rarely get a malfunction or failure. Seen a couple real nice 1911's too, of course the out of the box ones almost ALWAYS fail hard.
Or when you don't lubricate it ever, lol. I don't know how many people I know who are casual gun owners who don't ever lube a gun they either carry all the time or keep in the truck. Luckily, I have faith in my gun to go without lube for longer periods of times, as I have not lubed it over the course of 3+ months and shot it with dirty ammo with 1000+ rounds.

Hell, the only malfunction I've had was a bad round, not the fault of the guns.

Even the big problem with extremely nice 1911s and such is that they are really picky about ammo. Many will come with ammo recommendations front the factory. I always go back to the Vickers quote.

“Now, I shoot a Glock, Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ***. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”

“I’ve had guys sell their pistols after taking my 1911 armoring class because they realized the gun just wasn’t for them”
Old 6/28/14, 12:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Very interesting thread, and I'm glad to see so many TMS guys interested in this hobby too. I have a M&P 40c that I got with intentions of getting my CCW. I can't say I love the trigger, but I haven't had any issues with it with almost 700 rounds through it so far, of all different types of ammo, including 200 rounds of Minuteman Munitions reloads.

I don't have much else to contribute to this thread, but I wanted to subscribe to see what I can learn. I'm definitely an amateur and want to soak up as much knowledge as I can.
If you want an improved trigger either get the Apex trigger kit (it's a good upgrade but not the best) or send the gun along to ATEi in Michigan and have them do a custom trigger on it. They can make it however you like, either a super light race gun trigger, or a good carry trigger that is lighter but not ridiculous. They can make the reset much stronger as well.
Old 6/28/14, 12:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by narphenal
Or when you don't lubricate it ever, lol. I don't know how many people I know who are casual gun owners who don't ever lube a gun they either carry all the time or keep in the truck. Luckily, I have faith in my gun to go without lube for longer periods of times, as I have not lubed it over the course of 3+ months and shot it with dirty ammo with 1000+ rounds.

Hell, the only malfunction I've had was a bad round, not the fault of the guns.

Even the big problem with extremely nice 1911s and such is that they are really picky about ammo. Many will come with ammo recommendations front the factory. I always go back to the Vickers quote.

“Now, I shoot a Glock, Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ***. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”

“I’ve had guys sell their pistols after taking my 1911 armoring class because they realized the gun just wasn’t for them”
I think the primary issue with 1911's is that most people think "tighter is better". They get these super expensive guns that are hand fitted and all that, and they won't run when there's a spec of dust inside because there just isn't enough clearance.

There's a few good 1911 smiths out there that will make a 1911 carry ready, and it doesn't involve fitting all the parts so there's zero play in them. They end up being pretty loose, but are still very accurate and are stupid reliable.
Old 6/28/14, 12:13 PM
Post *****

Belly gun Kicks pretty good with the 357's in it.
That's been my concern.
Old 6/28/14, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you want an improved trigger either get the Apex trigger kit (it's a good upgrade but not the best) or send the gun along to ATEi in Michigan and have them do a custom trigger on it. They can make it however you like, either a super light race gun trigger, or a good carry trigger that is lighter but not ridiculous. They can make the reset much stronger as well.
I've been eye-balling the Apex kit. I haven't heard anyone be unhappy with it. It's not too pricey either. I need to build my AR first, before I can't get parts in Commiefornia anymore.

For the M&P, the weight of the trigger is fine as is for me (I'd even maybe make it a little heavier), I just want it to reset stronger. My dad's Glock 23 Gen 2 has such a nice trigger reset. I'm not sure if there's any difference in the Gen 3, but his Gen 2 was his duty and/or carry gun for years. He has over 10k rounds through it! I know he had the trigger replaced once, and I think he had it updated to Gen 3 specs when it was done.
Old 6/28/14, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

I like your attitude. The problem I have with a lot of "gun guys" is that they try to beat you to death with all their so-called gun knowledge... which is fine if/when they really know their stuff, but too many of them don't. I don't have too much tolerance for Gun Shop Commandos, but I'm pretty well impressed by a lot of what I'm reading here. I came here expecting to find Mustang expertise, but a bunch of TMS members demonstrate substantial knowledge in other areas as well. Carry on; I'm listening!
Old 6/29/14, 02:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
I like your attitude. The problem I have with a lot of "gun guys" is that they try to beat you to death with all their so-called gun knowledge... which is fine if/when they really know their stuff, but too many of them don't. I don't have too much tolerance for Gun Shop Commandos, but I'm pretty well impressed by a lot of what I'm reading here. I came here expecting to find Mustang expertise, but a bunch of TMS members demonstrate substantial knowledge in other areas as well. Carry on; I'm listening!
I worked in a gun shop just outside Detroit for a while. Not sure which was worse; the idiot coworkers spouting crap, the customers spouting crap (and having to agree to play nice) or all the people who couldn't pass a background check.
Old 6/29/14, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's been my concern.
with 38's its actually a lot better.
Old 6/29/14, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I think the primary issue with 1911's is that most people think "tighter is better". They get these super expensive guns that are hand fitted and all that, and they won't run when there's a spec of dust inside because there just isn't enough clearance.

There's a few good 1911 smiths out there that will make a 1911 carry ready, and it doesn't involve fitting all the parts so there's zero play in them. They end up being pretty loose, but are still very accurate and are stupid reliable.
Maybe my Kimber is the exception but I've never had one hiccup with it that I can remember. Now a days there's quit a few manufactures out there doing it right and offer something right out of the box that you can bet your life on. I've never been a fan of the Glock for some reason or another, I do hear lots of good things about them tho. I'm no pro but I have been around guns most of my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The last bullit you will ever need