Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Hurricanes!

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/05, 08:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm learning something quickly living here in Virginia. Even if a hurricane or tropical storm hit down south, you need to keep your eyes open here. Wow I got alot of rain in the last two days.
Old 7/8/05, 08:43 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 8, 2005, 1:37 AM
I could totally throw a hurricane party....

There had not been any hurricanes in North/Central Florida in more than 25 years, last year we had two. The first one was not that bad, there were parties all over. There were more parties preceeding the second one. Being from South Florida and a Andrew survivor, I was saying to myself "... all these party animals will be crying like girly men tomorrow". Then it hit.

Power, cable-TV, phone lines, and trees came down like tooth picks. Roofs were gone, houses destroyed, floods, businesses closed, no water running, sewer lift stations were pumping and spilling theirs account receivables into the streets and yards, and of course, plenty of heat and guess what? No A/C either. A complete mess!

The helpless looks were all over. I had to report to work and had the task of surveying damage on assigned geographical areas. Any time I came across some place where there was evidence of a party I would ask "So... how was the party last night? Don't worry, we'll have everything back to normal within the next 6 weeks" (Ask and you shall receive).

The bottom line? Those party animals seemed as if they misplaced their sense of humor in a hurry.

Old 7/8/05, 08:51 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 8, 2005, 8:44 AM
And do you have any idea what massive skill it takes to keep Ellie from fishtailing in the rain? I have to drive 360 miles in that mess.
nope.. guess you'd have to go on a mustang enthusiast forum to find someone who has any idea on that.

Here's your sign.
Old 7/8/05, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I saw on CNN yesterday the floods the tropical storm/depression made. In the middle of a flooded area........a new Maserati. I wouldn't be driving my Mustang in the middle of that stuff.
Old 7/8/05, 08:57 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Scothew@July 8, 2005, 8:54 AM
nope.. guess you'd have to go on a mustang enthusiast forum to find someone who has any idea on that.
Here's your sign.

It took me a good 3 weeks of driving her to figure it out......First fun car I ever had. I turned her backwards at the Summit the day after I bought her.
NOW I have fun O plenty in the rain.
Ellie runs nekkid you know? No ABS or TC installed on her.
Old 7/8/05, 08:58 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

april.. my car doesnt have traction control, i have 280rwhp, 4.10 gears and a 5-speed and I dont have any problems in the rain. GO EASY ON THE GO PEDAL! Just finesse it.. dont just stab it while in teh rain.
Old 7/8/05, 09:04 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Scothew@July 8, 2005, 9:01 AM
april.. my car doesnt have traction control, i have 280rwhp, 4.10 gears and a 5-speed and I dont have any problems in the rain. GO EASY ON THE GO PEDAL! Just finesse it.. dont just stab it while in the rain.
My Dad says I shouldn't take off like a jackrabbit....BUT blastit,ITS SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!
I learned quickly how to get out of fishtails if I do play a little much in the rain.
I SO love this car.

True story- when I was 16, I had a 1981 camaro. I was in hoover by the galleria coming home from work at Just for Feet. It was raining- I went to stop at the Lorna Road light from 31, and SPUN through it. As luck would have it- a Hoover cop was behind me. Lights went on.

I simply explained to him my Dad had bought me this car, and I had no Idea how to handle it properly yet...They told me they left the ticket book at the station, tonight was my lucky night and let me go.
Old 7/8/05, 09:07 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 8, 2005, 10:07 AM
My Dad says I shouldn't take off like a jackrabbit....BUT blastit,ITS SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!
Your dad's right. And no matter how much fun it is, "playing" on open roads, especially in inclimate weather is not a safe thing to do for you or other motorist.

Go to an empty parking lot if you want to do doughnuts or spins.

Ok, climbing down from the soapbox :P
Old 7/8/05, 09:10 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Scothew@July 8, 2005, 9:10 AM
Your dad's right. And no matter how much fun it is, "playing" on open roads, especially in inclimate weather is not a safe thing to do for you or other motorist.

Go to an empty parking lot if you want to do doughnuts or spins.
Ok, climbing down from the soapbox :P
Like I drive like an idiot when my kids are in the car! When they are with me, I am most careful.

I reserve fun time for when I am alone- which is 90% of the time. Then I only do it in sparse areas. And even then its only blasting off from the redlights- with a bright yellow car I am terrified to speed- yellow is high visible to police. Honest to crap- I don't speed in her- EVER.(well except on 65)
Old 7/8/05, 09:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 7, 2005, 9:30 PM
You have learned well... Grasshopper!!! :worship:

George is my hero

In all seriosness April, I wouldn't horse around (no pun intended) in inclimate weather either. Scott's right (for once ) about that. It's just not worth the risk of injuring your beloved Ellie. Be safe
Old 7/8/05, 10:36 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 8, 2005, 9:00 AM

It took me a good 3 weeks of driving her to figure it out......First fun car I ever had. I turned her backwards at the Summit the day after I bought her.
NOW I have fun O plenty in the rain.
Ellie runs nekkid you know? No ABS or TC installed on her.
I don't want to hear anything from you until you can put a 7,000lb crew cab dually sideways, stay in it and drive out of it in the rain(did this Tuesday night) OR after digging out of a 10' snow drift, drive a 5.0 Mustang (3 1/2 hours when dry-try 7 hours in that mess) through blizzard conditions through the mountains of Western Maryland just to get home at the end of a semester....only possible with studded rear snow tires

Driving sideways in the snow was a sport for me when I lived up north....Ice is the only thing you have absolutely minimal to no control in! This down here is a cake walk
Old 7/8/05, 11:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dennis is up to 150 mph winds now and is making landfall in southern Cuba now. Moved my flight up and I am getting out of here tomorrow morning.

Key West Radar, you can see the eye on it now.

Old 7/8/05, 11:26 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Man be safe. I defintely agree with getting out a day early. This thing is going to be nasty, even saying if it comes straight at bham, it will be a cat1 when it hits here, unline Ivan which was a mild tropical storm by taht time.
Old 7/8/05, 09:11 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Schneikes.....

We went out for Ice cream....And decided to get batteries and flashlights on the way.

I think I got the last 18 C cells in the county.

Oh- and there is no bread or milk.
Old 7/8/05, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I took this pic out my hotel window in Atlanta Wednesday night while Cindy was comeing through. It got very rough in the Atlanta area.
Old 7/9/05, 06:04 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

CHICKEN LITTLE
THE SKY IS FALLIN!

Good Lord, I am looking at Gulf Shores right now, and all its doing is making me wanna sit there with a pina colada.

But blastit- I have my batteries!
Old 7/9/05, 06:33 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

:shock:

From FOX6 StormWarn:

...THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE STATE
OF ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND ALABAMA EMA....

AS OF 800 AM CDT ON JULY 9 2005...REVERSE LANING OF INTERSTATE 65
HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY THE ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION.
THE REVERSE LANING WILL BE IN EFFECT FROM THE MOBILE RIVER NORTH TO
NEAR MONTGOMERY AT THE INTERSECTION OF US-80 AND I-65 (OR EXIT
168). THE REVERSE LANING WILL BEGIN AT 600 AM WITH THE CLOSING OF
THE SOUTHBOUND LANES...STARTING JUST SOUTH OF MONTGOMERY. ONCE THE
SOUTHBOUND LANES ARE CLEARED OF TRAFFIC...I-65 WILL BE ONE WAY...
NORTHBOUND...BEGINNING NEAR EXIT 31 (STOCKTON EXIT). THIS REVERSE
LANING WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

AFFECTED COUNTIES:
IN ALABAMA: AUTAUGA, BARBOUR, BIBB, BLOUNT, BULLOCK, CALHOUN, CHAMBERS, CHEROKEE, CHILTON, CLAY, CLEBURNE, COOSA, DALLAS, ELMORE, ETOWAH, FAYETTE, GREENE, HALE, JEFFERSON, LAMAR, LEE, LOWNDES, MACON, MARENGO, MARION, MONTGOMERY, PERRY, PICKENS, PIKE, RANDOLPH, RUSSELL, SHELBY, ST CLAIR, SUMTER, TALLADEGA, TALLAPOOSA, TUSCALOOSA, WALKER, WINSTON.
Old 7/10/05, 12:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey April. My baby drives naked too. No ABS or TCS on my 96 or 02. I did have it on my 03 but couldn't tell any difference. So, I decided I didn't need it on the 05 either.

Anyway. Good luck guys. Stay safe.
Old 7/10/05, 04:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So what is the effect going to be for your area April?? I hope all of you down in that area stay safe!!!!!
Old 7/10/05, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just heard this morning its back to a category 4 hurricane and only 10mph short of a 5. Stay safe Alabamans and all those close by.