Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Help on Colorado road trip

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/14, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help on Colorado road trip

I and my wife are planing to do a road trip from Houston, tx to Colorado. we have 4 days in hand ( July 3 - 6). we would love to do winding roads and mountain scenic routes. if people can help me put some route. I plan to start from houston and drive to Amarillo,tx and stay over night on July 2nd. then i will be heading to colorado springs on July 3rd morning. after that i have not planned.

Appreciate if you all could give me a hand in this.
Old 6/11/14, 01:49 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being an ex OTR driver, I've done that run before, I'd say there's not much in the way of mountainous roads but there are some stretches that beg for high speed with long straights and sweepers that can take it. It's really flat and kind of boring scenery wise. From Amarillo go north on US 287 to Lamar, Co then west on US 50 to Pueblo then North on I-25 to Colorado Springs. There are many route variations, but this was one I preferred.

Last edited by rocket7888; 6/12/14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 6/12/14, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks for the direction. are there many cops in those highways. in our parts u will see every 10 miles one hiding in the woods. also after colorado springs is there good camping place you suggest.
Old 6/12/14, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Hey Cinizter, found this link on scenic Colorado roads for Motorcycles. Most of the bikers that I know, know all of the best twisty roads. I'll contact my brother in law. He lives out there, see if he can recommend any.
Old 6/12/14, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Google the San Juan Skyway. It's a 233 mile loop in the southwest corner of CO.
Old 6/12/14, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to have to drive all over Colorado for work. The best place to drive is the 24 up to Aspen. Its so twisty and curvy. Also absolutely beautiful with lots of scenic pullouts for pics. I've driven all over the west coast and that is one of the best scenic routes I've ever driven.
Old 6/12/14, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I like Estes Park and Rocky Mountain national park. Beautiful.
Old 6/13/14, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I didnt get too much info from my bro-in-law. They took a weekend trip from Antonio Co to Chama NM on Co-17. He said it was a beautiful 48 mile drive full of twisties. Looks like it was in a BMW commercial, with 10,000 passes.
Old 6/13/14, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Go due west from Denver on I70. Exit at 58 into Golden. Continue until 58 turns into Highway 6. That's the beginning of Clear Creek Canyon. You'll reach a point where Hwy 6 turns into a Y , take the left turn and follow that back to I70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAaQklhYJ3M

Next, exit I70 at the very next town which is Idaho Springs. Take the exit for Mount Evans. Have fun driving up the highest paved road in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZpP6DC-2A

After that is done head back to I70 the way you came and turn west again. Take the exit for US40 to Granby. Follow 40 until it turns into US34, and that will take you up and over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

You can get a hotel room or cabin in Estes Park at the end of Trail Ridge Road.

You can make that entire trip in about 12 hours or so including stopping to take pictures, eat, take care of other needs, etc... Once in Estes Park you've will definitely want to spend a day or three in RMNP and see the sights. Not sure what route you would have to take to get out of Estes, I don't know if Big Thompson Canyon has been repaired since last years flood well enough to let public traffic through yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8yEfyFQbvc

Last edited by Moustang; 6/14/14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 6/14/14, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go to Colorado EVERY year for 2 weeks camping and fishing. My absolute favorite place is Lake city. From Amarillo stay north on 287 to Dumas. from there go west on 87 to Raton NM. from there go N on I 25 to Walsenburg. go west on 160 through Alamosa to South Fork. Go N on149 to Creede and on to Lake city. 149 is oficially called the silver thread Highway and is one of the most scenic roads in Co.
Old 6/14/14, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Go due west from Denver on I70. Exit at 58 into Golden. Continue until 58 turns into Highway 6. That's the beginning of Clear Creek Canyon. You'll reach a point where Hwy 6 turns into a Y , take the left turn and follow that back to I70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAaQklhYJ3M

Next, exit I70 at the very next town which is Idaho Springs. Take the exit for Mount Evans. Have fun driving up the highest paved road in North America.

After that is done head back to I70 the way you came and turn west again. Take the exit for US40 to Granby. Follow 40 until it turns into US34, and that will take you up and over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

You can get a hotel room or cabin in Estes Park at the end of Trail Ridge Road.

You can make that entire trip in about 12 hours or so including stopping to take pictures, eat, take care of other needs, etc... Once in Estes Park you've will definitely want to spend a day or three in RMNP and see the sights. Not sure what route you would have to take to get out of Estes, I don't know if Big Thompson Canyon has been repaired since last years flood well enough to let public traffic through yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8yEfyFQbvc
I have been to Estes Park (this is a town, not a park) and Rocky Mountain Nat. Park about 5 times and it takes appx. 22 hours to get from Houston to R.M.N.P. Also, It takes about 18 hours to get to Lake City.
Old 6/15/14, 03:30 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 6/15/14 at 04:02 AM.
Old 6/18/14, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrider
I have been to Estes Park (this is a town, not a park) and Rocky Mountain Nat. Park about 5 times and it takes appx. 22 hours to get from Houston to R.M.N.P. Also, It takes about 18 hours to get to Lake City.

I've got family in Fort Collins and Aurora. I get up there as often as I can. A few dozen times by now.

I was going to recommend a drive up Old Fall River Road, but the floods last year wiped the road out. I got lucky, I was vacationing there just 2 weeks before the floods.

If it's going to be a two week road trip all in Colorado then I would also recommend going to a few other places. Driving Highway 82 Between Leadville and Aspen is a MUST! The road is only open in summer, and no vehicles longer than 35 feet are allowed. It's narrow, twisty, and has some fantastic views. Wonderful to drive when it's open.

Also driving through Glenwood Canyon on I70 is a great drive, and definitely head south to the Gunnison area to see the canyon. Highway 133 south from Glenwood Springs to 92 South in Hotchkiss is a more off the beaten path and more scenic way to get from Glenwood to Gunnison than the main I70 to 65 or I70 to 50 route that most people take.