Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Hacked

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/09, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spedly
I thought they said the recent backups got destroyed too.
How does the recent backups get destroyed if there is a disc, tape or CD sitting in someone's desk that is not connected to the server? It can't! Crazy nothing but crazy.
Old 9/9/09, 04:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
How does the recent backups get destroyed if there is a disc, tape or CD sitting in someone's desk that is not connected to the server? It can't! Crazy nothing but crazy.
I assume the data from this site is so large that it is backed up on another hard drive or another server. But if a virus scan missed something before the data was backed up, the backup could be corrupted and so the restore would also fail.

I was on while it went down. It didn't crash all at once. I had to refresh a couple of times, then it would load the page fine, then a delay and i'd refresh... as I remember this happened over about a half hour or so. So something was working its way through the system.

PS: but it was only affecting the forum. While it was crashing and before the crash page went up, I was able to surf thru the 'Timeline' pics for a long time. So maybe the forum is on a different server from the rest of the site?

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/9/09 at 04:51 PM.
Old 9/9/09, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I assume the data from this site is so large that it is backed up on another hard drive or another server. But if a virus scan missed something before the data was backed up, the backup could be corrupted and so the restore would also fail.

I was on while it went down. It didn't crash all at once. I had to refresh a couple of times, then it would load the page fine, then a delay and i'd refresh... as I remember this happened over about a half hour or so. So something was working its way through the system.

Well okay. I work for a tool shop that backs up it's server every night with information accured since 1985. Many, many gigs of info. Large hard drives are cheap. I should shut my mouth. It is pointless at this point for sure.
Old 9/9/09, 04:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optical storage is the way to go
Old 9/9/09, 04:52 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well okay. I work for a tool shop that backs up it's server every night with information accured since 1985.
Very wise grasshopper
Old 9/9/09, 04:52 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
explain
Old 9/9/09, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
RAID array and magnetic tape backup kept off site for disaster recovery according to my son who is the network server admin. at www.prattcc.edu
Old 9/9/09, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yeah, keep saying that to yourself...
You agree or disagree?
Old 9/9/09, 06:51 PM

The hack was NOT cool. I'm glad the forum is back up now!
Old 9/9/09, 07:01 PM

I think everyone here is
Old 9/9/09, 07:13 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez how many times have we lost information here? This isn't the first time. I stopped reading this forum the last time all the writeups were lost and moved over to something more reliable
Old 9/9/09, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lost alot of post / pictures,,,,this is crazy.
Old 9/10/09, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Be glad we have anything.

You should checkout the 2010 section. You can almost hear the crickets.
Old 9/10/09, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

What's disturbing is the post and thread counts for the seperate forums still reflect the numbers before the hack. It's like we're being taunted. :-(

Redundant, diversified-risk backups -- Preferably off-site. And don't forget to test your backups periodically too! Hear plenty of people that backup faithfully only to find their backups aren't compatible for whatever reasons.

It's not difficult to implement, just some work to plan the setup correctly. But it can be automated. From the description on the splash page, sounds like the site was hosted with a backup on the same partition as the site. Heck, that doesn't even need to be a software error, if the drive itself breaks, bam.
Old 9/10/09, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
What's disturbing is the post and thread counts for the seperate forums still reflect the numbers before the hack. It's like we're being taunted. :-(

Redundant, diversified-risk backups -- Preferably off-site. And don't forget to test your backups periodically too! Hear plenty of people that backup faithfully only to find their backups aren't compatible for whatever reasons.

It's not difficult to implement, just some work to plan the setup correctly. But it can be automated. From the description on the splash page, sounds like the site was hosted with a backup on the same partition as the site. Heck, that doesn't even need to be a software error, if the drive itself breaks, bam.
I wonder if economics has anything to do with it? We are all here for free and somebody has to pay the bills for servers, web site hosting and the other hardware / software that are required to make this site run. This site has a very large amount of traffic. I just wonder if they (the site owner) are doing this on the cheap, just maybe cutting corners bit them in the butt (like no frequent offsite backup). Admins., please note I am not complaining just stating my opinion as to what may have happened. I really like this site and I for one would not mind paying a yearly fee to being a member here if it would help prevent future issues.

Last edited by 1fastbob; 9/10/09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 9/10/09, 05:48 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastbob
I wonder if economics has anything to do with it? We are all here for free and somebody has to pay the bills for servers, web site hosting and the other hardware / software that are required to make this site run. This site has a very large amount of traffic. I just wonder if they (the site owner) are doing this on the cheap, just maybe cutting corners bit them in the butt (like no frequent offsite backup). Admins., please note I am not complaining just stating my opinion as to what may have happened. I really like this site and I for one would not mind paying a yearly fee to being a member here if it would help prevent future issues.
Just an FYI
Old 9/10/09, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
Get your stick out of my eye! Hey, thanks for the post I have been on here for a while and didn't know about that. I will sign up soon!

thanks

Bob
Old 9/10/09, 07:55 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get your stick out of my eye! Hey, thanks for the post I have been on here for a while and didn't know about that. I will sign up soon!

thanks

Bob
Old 9/11/09, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh of course economics has a lot to do with it. I love this site and the other Mustang forum I frequent and appreciate all the work the owners and admins do on them -- it's often an unpaid task.

But don't kid yourself, site advertising traffic probably helps offset the cost to a degree and there are a fair number of authorized vendors here as well. It's not 100% charity, more like partially subsidized charity.

Backups are one of those things that people should do. Just like making a full and complete stop at stop signs and stoplights before the painted white line. Somehow it always gets lost in the shuffle.
Old 9/11/09, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Oh of course economics has a lot to do with it. I love this site and the other Mustang forum I frequent and appreciate all the work the owners and admins do on them -- it's often an unpaid task.

But don't kid yourself, site advertising traffic probably helps offset the cost to a degree and there are a fair number of authorized vendors here as well. It's not 100% charity, more like partially subsidized charity.

Backups are one of those things that people should do. Just like making a full and complete stop at stop signs and stoplights before the painted white line. Somehow it always gets lost in the shuffle.
Backups are one of those often neglected things that you really don't need until something bad happens. I like this site alot myself and I will become a paying member this weekend!

Thanks

Bob

Quick Reply: Hacked