Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ghost Rider Review ***Spoilers***

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/07, 09:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ghost Rider Review ***Spoilers***

Hey guys, Saw Ghost Rider last night...

Being a huge GR fan, I've read the comic a long time ago.
The effects in this movie were really great, very cool to see on screen what I've waited eons to see.

Mark Steven Johnson (the guy who did Elektra and DareDevil) helped write and Direct. I think it was better than DareDevil (won't even mention Elektra)

The story is pretty well straight forward on how he becomes the Rider.
But if you read the comic, they changed a LOT of stuff.

- There was more than one Ghost Rider...this is true, but...
the look and power that the GR has in this movie was NOT the GR that Johnny Blaze had. They took the look and powers from his predecessor..
the host was Dan Ketch

- Barton Blaze (johnnys dad) was not the guy JB sold his soul for, it was Crash Simpson...Roxannes dad (but the hows and whats were the same)

- Cool to see the Quentin Carnival there, and if you look theres the 'All Seeing Clara' which was cool, as in the comic there was a blind fortune teller.

- Captain Dolan (the cop) was a character in the comic, but Dan Ketch was dating his daughter, Stacey... that was his love interest

- The JB Ghost Rider (Zarathos) was never really Blazes to control... it came out when was needed, and was a seperate entity...Blaze however could eventually let him out, but there was always a power struggle in Johnnys head to get back. His power was hellfire (shooting a searing flame)

- The costume/chain. The costume was never aquired, that's just how he looked. As for how he got the chain, again was part of the power, not something he picked up along the way. And it did a lot more stuff, as it was almost 'living'. It become stiff like a spear... grow/shrink to various sizes, and even split up in the seperate links that had sharp edges... and all come back to the rider.

- The bike is a new look, but cool none the less...and yes it would go to the rider, but the 'whistling' to get the bike was extremely stupid....that never happened in the comic.

- The Mephisto/Blackheart father/son deal..was in the comic, but not the storyline about the 'contract'

- The Caretaker was never one of the Spirts of Vengeance and didn't meet Blaze until WAY later..... he was part of a bigger story
At one point Blaze gets rid of Zarathos...and sees a new rider (dan ketch)
thinking its the same demon with a new host, he sets out to kill it.
He realizes that his shotgun can shoot hellfire (like it did in the movie) and it can kill the GR that is Dan Ketch. Eventually he comes to realize its not the same demon. They eventually find out that there were 3 pieces to a Medalion that held incredible power.(these were inside the people)
Blaze had one (hence why he could shoot helfire out his shotgun)
Ketch had one, and another character called Vengeance (who was the 'evil counterpart' to the newer good GR... Vengeance eventually turns good. The CareTaker was there to protect the medalion and keep watch over the kids as they grew up, as the plans were set in motion way before

- in the movie you see Blaze eating jellybeans and refusing alcohol and cigarettes... which is funny, as if you read the comic, Blaze was a heavy drinker/smoker and was actually more hard edged and a brawler.

Very cool movie, but like all things hollywood...was changed...
Old 2/17/07, 10:33 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, reccomended for a GR fan?
I've followed GR, more before than now, so I know some of the main parts of the history.

Just to get things straight: In the movie, JB can choose when he wants to transform?
Does Blackheart come out in the movie??!? If he does, does he look like Blackheart from the comics?
Old 2/17/07, 10:52 AM
I Have No Life

JB learns to control it and CAN eventually choose when and how he tranforms at night... only at night it seems....

Blackheart...SORTA... without ruining too much...
Most of the time he looks human with some occasional demonic looks...
He flat out will not look like the comic as the hulking black pile of strands with red eyes...

GR has some CHEESY lines though.... which kinda annoyed me.
Old 2/17/07, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was OK Defiantly not Batman Begins , but much better than Daredevil .

The special effects were awesome.
Old 2/17/07, 11:53 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw it last night too, and was actually gonna start a thread on it myself lol.

I never read the comics, so I went into this not expecting anything. Overall, I really liked the movie. It wasn't phenomenal, it was't bad, but it had a "feel good" feeling about it.

I'd see it again
Old 2/17/07, 12:46 PM
I Have No Life

What I'd love for a sequel #2 is the rider taking over... and JB losing control...getting rid of it...
and then #3 having Dan Ketch be the new rider, and having the whole JB vs GR story...