Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

FIRE!

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/05, 09:41 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So we set off to Brusters around nine tonight(I was sick for a choco shake) and then decided to go to see the house.
As we approach the stoplight to cross the road the house is on..we see TONS of fire and rescue trucks heading towards where we are moving.
HMMM we wonder..
We get on the road and MORE trucks come..
Just before you turn into where we are moving, there was this spectacular house- BEAUT of a house.
The whole right side was in flames, HUGE ones, lighting up the sky. Every firetruck from miles around responded..Smell was horrible.
We came back and the whole roof was involved. Poor house will have nothing left-and even MORE firetrucks are coming.
Makes me sick to think about. I almost cried to imagine the poor family who lived there. This wasn't the normal shack that burns up around here, this was a sure enough make you wanna drool to own it pretty house.
Old 7/26/05, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Well, even if it was a shack, it would be a sad thing. But as long as nobody was hurt, it's only material possesions.
Old 7/26/05, 09:49 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I shoulda clarified- the burning shacks are normally vacant.
Horrible Horrible, I am still sick about it.This wasn't a vacant hovel- this was someone's beautiful house.Just thinking about them going on like normal then their house........Worst thing ever, and my worst fear.
Old 7/26/05, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Well, my worst fear is getting cancer and having to have my *you know what* lopped off... But that's just me!
Old 7/26/05, 10:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that's the worst thing you ever see consider yourself lucky! I do feel sorry for the folks who lost their home though.
Old 7/26/05, 10:28 PM
GTR Member

No, the worst thing to witness is to see your father die
Old 7/27/05, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

Your Avitar looks like my dog!
Old 7/27/05, 05:36 AM
Cobra Member

One of the worst things I have ever seen was when I was in the Navy, on the aircraft carrier and working as the departure controller [as in air traffic controller]. Had a transport take off with 17 aboard and almost instantaneously heard an "Oh S**T" from the pilot. I looked up at the TV monitor and saw the plane going sideways and cartwheeling into the ocean as I was hearing his last words. Now that affected me like you can not even imagine.
Old 7/27/05, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 27, 2005, 7:39 AM
One of the worst things I have ever seen was when I was in the Navy, on the aircraft carrier and working as the departure controller [as in air traffic controller]. Had a transport take off with 17 aboard and almost instantaneously heard an "Oh S**T" from the pilot. I looked up at the TV monitor and saw the plane going sideways and cartwheeling into the ocean as I was hearing his last words. Now that affected me like you can not even imagine.
That would have scarred me for life too Ed!

I was involved in an extrication about two years ago and witness one of my high school friends brother pass away from the trauma (his head hit a tree trunk because he wasn't wearing his seat belt). That was hard, especially when my friend showed up at the scene and I had to tell him that he couldn't see his little brother. It broke my heart and really wreaked havoc on a lot of the other FF's emotions too.

Life is full of tragedies. I don't really think one is worse than another when it comes to human life.
Old 7/27/05, 07:37 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I don't enjoy fire. It creeps me out.

And I don't enjoy watching someones life go up in HUGE flames either.

Changed the title......
Old 7/27/05, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 27, 2005, 7:26 AM
That would have scarred me for life too Ed!

I was involved in an extrication about two years ago and witness one of my high school friends brother pass away from the trauma (his head hit a tree trunk because he wasn't wearing his seat belt). That was hard, especially when my friend showed up at the scene and I had to tell him that he couldn't see his little brother. It broke my heart and really wreaked havoc on a lot of the other FF's emotions too.

Life is full of tragedies. I don't really think one is worse than another when it comes to human life.

I was a volunteer for 5 years when I lived in PA. I know where you are coming from brother.
Old 7/27/05, 09:44 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Luckily I havent experienced a fire to that caliber yet, but I've seen some life changing things when I did ride-alongs with Birmingham Police Dept.
Old 7/27/05, 09:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 27, 2005, 11:35 AM
I was a volunteer for 5 years when I lived in PA. I know where you are coming from brother.
Its a humbling experience sometimes. Where in Pa were you?
Old 7/27/05, 09:56 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have honestly never seen a house fire that large....It was freaking huge. the whole house was orange flames and you could see it for miles. A straight up orange plume with black smoke pouring out of the top of the flames.

Firetrucks from both stations in Calera and Alabaster too- plus ambulances and the rescue squad and police from Alabaster and Calera.
I hope everyone made it out of there.
Old 7/27/05, 10:07 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
That would be a fire classified as: Make sure everyone is out and then let it burn cause you more than likely couldnt put enough water on it. Just keep the other houses and property safe.
Old 7/27/05, 10:17 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

They didn't even have hoses on it..But as we were leaving Waterford- the predator(Alabaster's interstate rescue truck) was coming in. This was a nice horse farm...Not in a development.

I am going back shortly to throw my mercy on the realtor and builder- Im gonna be homeless and I need my house, I may snap a picture of it.
Old 7/27/05, 10:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Scothew@July 27, 2005, 12:10 PM
That would be a fire classified as: Make sure everyone is out and then let it burn cause you more than likely couldnt put enough water on it. Just keep the other houses and property safe.
:yes:

Surround and drown.

April, when a house is beyond saving it is best to protect the other exposed structures like Scott said. Using manpower on a total loss is basically pointless. This is often the case with row home fires. Most of the time the initial structure is lost but the remaining ones can be saved
Old 7/27/05, 10:23 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I am petrified of fire.
It scares the crap out of me..
I developed a huge anti fire complex when I was living down in the land of no fire stations and police.
Old 7/27/05, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 27, 2005, 9:48 AM
Its a humbling experience sometimes. Where in Pa were you?

I was born and raised in Philly. My parents moved to Bucks County while I was in the Navy. I lived in Perkasie for a while then moved to Richlandtown [near Quakertown]. Been out here since 1981.
Old 7/27/05, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@July 27, 2005, 12:29 PM
I was born and raised in Philly. My parents moved to Bucks County while I was in the Navy. I lived in Perkasie for a while then moved to Richlandtown [near Quakertown]. Been out here since 1981.
I know exactly where that is! I used to live in Allentown (South Whitehall to be exact) and now I live in Wyommising right outside of Reading. I liked A-Town much better.