Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Donnie Darko

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/06, 08:27 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Donnie Darko

Ok on the racommendation of a bunch of people i finally saw this movie. (against my better judgement)
Now I am a pretty quick study with movies..especially strange ones.. Fight Club Loved it. Now i got done with Darko and thought ok what was all that about???
I had to go on the web and read up on it..and it turns oout you can't possibly understand the movie unless you've heard the directors commentary, seen the website, and read the extra material in the dvd.

Man now that I read about it i get it. But this movie is the equivalant of me coming to your home eating your rice crispies, throwing a dead fish on the coffee table, doing a burn out on your lawn and then leaving without explination. You are kinda left going

Like i said I get it now..but making a movie like this and not cluing the audience in on it really is odd. No wonder if flopped on opening weekend.

Supposedly that book that Donnie gets in the movie explaines exatly whats going on but since we aren't privy to that book or it's contents the audience is left in the darko..err dark.

man...makes you wann go

Anyhow..over all it was ok..and a little better when i read about it..now I'll have to rewatch it and have a better understanding.
Old 6/5/06, 08:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the tip I will not go through all that unless I'm paid to do as you should have been Har,Har.
Old 6/5/06, 08:38 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

if you care to have the movie explained you can check out this page
http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/movie...ndex.html?pn=4
Old 6/5/06, 08:54 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ut Oh, wait 'till Dave (MTAS) sees this thread. ?Remember his old avatar? He had the Crazy Rabbit from that movie as his avatar until enough people complained that it freaked them out. LOL

He told me about this movie and a year later I finally watched it. Made me think "Wow, Dave must be a PotSmoker." Just kidding Dave, but that is one wierd movie.
Old 6/6/06, 09:26 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I own the movie and have watched it many times and love it. I don't even know if i fully understand it but i love watching it anyway.

man doug you sure are behind on your movie watching.
Old 6/6/06, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The first time I watched it I didn't understand it either but it intrigued me. I did some research on it and watched it several more times and not long ago I bought the directors cut of the DVD. I enjoy watching it just for Jake Gylenhaal's performance. One of my favorite parts is the "smurf sex" discussion.
Old 6/6/06, 10:12 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Welp I tend not to see movies that people say "oh you must see it" Just a thing with me. I'm so Jaded with the crap hollywood spews out that for me most movie suck and I'm always disappointed with recommendations. The last reccomendation that I loved was Fight club.

I had heard that the Directors cut was not the version to see.
Old 6/6/06, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
I had heard that the Directors cut was not the version to see.
The only difference I noticed is that they placed some excerpts from "The Philosophy of Time Travel" (the book in the movie) between scenes to help explain the story. Otherwise, it's the same.