Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Do you love what you do, or do what you hate to afford what you love to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/12, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you love what you do, or do what you hate to afford what you love to do?

There's are multiple famous quotes about finding a profession that you love, so that it doesn't feel like work. I'm 25 and I've had a fair number of different jobs and have come away with many different experiences, but ultimately I've realized I am the type of person that needs to do something I love on a daily basis. I know people who hate their jobs (or just don't really care what they do) as long as they get to do the things they love on their off-days. What kind of person are you?
Old 10/22/12, 12:05 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love what I do. I take great pride in saying every day I go to work I save lives. It doesnt pay the best but it pays the bills. Over the past 8 years at my job I have been part of a team building medical products that have saved or increased the quality of life of over 75,000 people world wide.
Old 10/22/12, 12:44 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You should have a job that allows you to do what you like to do. My job sucks but it pays the bills pretty well and the benefits are great. I used to love working on cars. I did it for a living and now I hate it. When your passion turns into work, it just ruins it. Work to support the things you love.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 10/22/12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10/22/12, 01:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Cleaned up the crap out of this thread.

out of my jobs, i have two that i prefer the most, but obviously those don't cover the bills. My full time job I have, i like, i like the people i work with but there are certainly things that take place that make me not love it. Its all about compromise.
Old 10/22/12, 02:38 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Hell yes I love what I do.
Old 10/22/12, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer to this question all depends on your own mindset. Some people are willing to put up with crap for high pay, others would rather keep their sanity and make a little less while doing something they truly love.

Ideally you would want what you love to do to have the potential to be turned into something that pays well over time... but obviously not every career choice offers you that option....
Old 10/22/12, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there's a thread for this already

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 10/22/12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10/22/12, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I love what I do, it is a whole lot of fun running red lights and stop signs in a big red Fire truck, it is not so fun seeing people lose their homes from a fire. I really would not want to do anything else I just wish people didn't have to have loss of life or property due to fires.
Old 10/22/12, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I think there's a thread for this already
Funny guy^.

If there really is a thread, then merge em.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong answer, just curious as to what others' mindsets are. My closest friends are like me, in that we need to do something daily that makes us happy. Funny my two closest friends and I all want to go in to law enforcement, and we all know that LEOs aren't the happiest people on earth. But I just can't see myself doing anything else. And I can't see myself being happy being paid $100k in some office behind a desk, making phone calls or spreadsheets. No offense to anyone who does, good on ya for making $100k, but it just isn't for me. I did construction for a very short time, and again it takes a different breed of man than I am to do that kind of stuff for a living. But it pays well and I hope they get to enjoy their time off.
Old 10/22/12, 05:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like what I do A LOT, but for me it's not everything. I put more emphasis on my family and friends and church stuff.

I guess a good way to put it is, if I had enough mone to where I didn't have to work would I being doing what I do, nope. LOL
Old 10/22/12, 05:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Funny guy^.

If there really is a thread, then merge em.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong answer, just curious as to what others' mindsets are. My closest friends are like me, in that we need to do something daily that makes us happy. Funny my two closest friends and I all want to go in to law enforcement, and we all know that LEOs aren't the happiest people on earth. But I just can't see myself doing anything else. And I can't see myself being happy being paid $100k in some office behind a desk, making phone calls or spreadsheets. No offense to anyone who does, good on ya for making $100k, but it just isn't for me. I did construction for a very short time, and again it takes a different breed of man than I am to do that kind of stuff for a living. But it pays well and I hope they get to enjoy their time off.
Honestly Pat, I would probably be in law enforcement too if I could afford the risk. Keep me updated on your status buddy!
Old 10/22/12, 05:41 PM
Banned

I don't dislike what I do. I consider it my 4 hour a day workout.
Old 10/22/12, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I don't dislike what I do. I consider it my 4 hour a day workout.
UPS? Or are you a "firefighter" too...
Old 10/22/12, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by laserred38

UPS? Or are you a "firefighter" too...
Ups.
Old 10/22/12, 06:09 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Downs.
Old 10/22/12, 07:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Meh... pays the bills
Old 10/22/12, 07:39 PM
GT Member

As some have said, when you turn your hobby/passion into a job, you wind up having to find a different passion. I used to work as a recording engineer. Loved the job but the pay was going nowhere. I went into computers and from day one was making more money than I had as an engineer, with a degree, and 5 years of experience. Still miss the job but I own my own home, etc. That was never going to happen before.
Old 10/22/12, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to finish my engineering degree to get a design job, but it is difficult to find time while managing a movie theater. At work I use my creative outlet on the website, which I designed because I was bored doing the "daily tasks" of selling popcorn and sweeping it up.
(www.atlascinemas.net)
Old 10/22/12, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mark Fergel
As some have said, when you turn your hobby/passion into a job, you wind up having to find a different passion. I used to work as a recording engineer. Loved the job but the pay was going nowhere. I went into computers and from day one was making more money than I had as an engineer, with a degree, and 5 years of experience. Still miss the job but I own my own home, etc. That was never going to happen before.
I don't think this is true 100% of the time. I have seen this play out though. The audio shop I worked at was an example. I originally had a system installed there and after a few years, I needed a harness to put a radio in my dad's truck. Got to talking to the owner and he hired me to basically be the shop rat, running errands, helping the installers however needed etc. He told me he started the shop 20 years ago doing it as a hobby. He still enjoys cars and audio, but he said the same thing. It's hard to be as passionate about it, now that it's his source of income.
Old 10/22/12, 10:05 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I used to love what I did. I owned a donut shop. Ate all my profits. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Do you love what you do, or do what you hate to afford what you love to do?