Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Disney Buys LucasFilm - New Star Wars in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/12, 05:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Somebody went all Sheldon and Howard up in here.
Old 10/30/12, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
BAZZZINGA
Old 10/30/12, 05:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Uncharted series: been played LOL just so you know what a gaming family, my family is, I assume you know what a gamerscore is?
I'm not well versed in the ways of the xbox but continue....
Essentially this thread is an extension of the 'Geek Out' thread lol
Old 10/30/12, 05:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Notice that Lucas will be a "consultant" in the writing of the new films. He basically got a boatload of money while finding someone rich enough to fund and produce his movie. (Disney)

Lord knows he hates spending and risking his own money now since the two trilogies are somewhat exhausted.

Peter Mayhew was even quoted last year as saying that Lucas always intended nine movies and he was already working on the last three.

Btw I say boat load of money. Lucas was actually paid in CASH from Disney. I bet he rented a trailer for the back of his old hippie VW. Heck he may have even sprung for the hitch!
Old 10/30/12, 05:15 PM
Post *****

I've played Lego Star Wars on Wii

Does that count?
Old 10/30/12, 05:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Does that count?
Get out.
Old 10/30/12, 05:18 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Get out.
Unsubscribing
Old 10/30/12, 05:20 PM
Banned

Does that count?
We had Wii when it first came out for about 3 days until my sons threw out their arms playing it
Old 10/30/12, 05:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Notice that Lucas will be a "consultant" in the writing of the new films. He basically got a boatload of money while finding someone rich enough to fund and produce his movie. (Disney)

Lord knows he hates spending and risking his own money now since the two trilogies are somewhat exhausted.

Peter Mayhew was even quoted last year as saying that Lucas always intended nine movies and he was already working on the last three.

Btw I say boat load of money. Lucas was actually paid in CASH from Disney. I bet he rented a trailer for the back of his old hippie VW. Heck he may have even sprung for the hitch!
Maybe but ILM was quite a pioneering achievement at the time and is involved in a lot more than Star Wars films. I bet there's trademarks up the wazzoo from some of his processes.

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/30/12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10/30/12, 05:31 PM
Banned

@simonpegg: Does this mean Leia is now a Disney princess? She'll have to go get her nails done with Ariel and lend Pocahontas her metal bikini. #fierce
Old 10/30/12, 05:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Unsubscribing
LOL j/k you can stay. We'll need you for comedic relief when things get too hot & nerdy
We had Wii when it first came out for about 3 days until my sons threw out their arms playing it
I sold my half of the Wii to my roomate when I graduated college and got my own apartment. Haven't looked back since. Wii games couldn't keep my attention for more than 5 min.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Maybe but ILM was quite a pioneering achievement at the time and is involved in a lot more than Star Wars films. I bet there's trademarks up the wazzoo from some of his processes.

I'm glad he'll still be consultant though, just wouldn't be the same without him involved somehow
Old 10/31/12, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a long-time Star Wars fan, my mind was blown when this news came out. There had not even been a hint that any of this was going on and they did a great job of keeping the lid tight on this.

I always thought Lucas would hold onto Lucasfilm to his grave and I was doubly shocked to find out the mysterious, shadowy third trilogy was going to be made afterall. The Star Wars saga was originally slated to be 4 trilogies (12 movies!) before being pared down to 9 movies. It stayed at 9 until he got burned out after Ep.V and decided to somewhat haphazardly try to tie up loose ends at Ep. VI and call it quits (well, until the Prequel trilogy 20 years later).

At some point Lucas changed his tune and began insisting he never realistically planned a third trilogy and that it'd never happen. Before then, he had vaguely stated several times over the years that it would pertain to an older Luke Skywalker (which coincidentally would match perfectly with the 61 year old Mark Hamill of today) and his endeavors as a seasoned Jedi. We'll see if they stick to that long hinted formula. Ep. VII has been in development for at least several months now and apparently Lucas has written "treatments" of what this trilogy will involve. It has been said this will be an original story and NOT an adaptation of one of the many novel series, as some fans had speculated/hoped. Personally I'm just fine with that.

Oh, and you guys are n00bs. The classic X-Wing series is where it's at!

Last edited by Wolfsburg; 10/31/12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11/1/12, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised no one linked to the Disney press release on the sale:
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Some key notes:

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.
Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
Disney has had a great relationship with George that goes back a long way – with Star Wars theme attractions in our parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo. This acquisition builds on that foundation and combines two of the strongest family entertainment brands in the world. It makes sense, not just because of our brand compatibility and previous success together, but because Disney respects and understands – better than just about anyone else – the importance of iconic characters and what it takes to protect and leverage them effectively to drive growth and create value.
Star Wars in particular is a strong global brand, and one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with hundreds of millions of fans around the globe. Its universe of more than 17,000 characters inhabiting several thousand planets spanning 20,000 years offers infinite inspiration and opportunities – and we're already moving forward with plans to continue the epic Star Wars saga.
We plan to release the first new Star Wars film in 2015, and then plan to release one film every two to three years. These films will be released and distributed as part of our target slate of 8-10 live-action films per year, and will augment Disney's already strong creative pipeline for many years to come. Lucasfilm has not released a Star Wars film since Revenge of the Sith in 2005. However, adjusted for inflation, as well as growth in both international box office and 3D, we estimate the three most recent Star Wars films would have averaged about $1.5 billion in global box office in today's dollars. This speaks to the franchise's strength, global appeal and the great opportunity we have in the film business.
I think this is a great thing for both sides. Lucas wanted to see his intellectual property in the hands of someone he could trust. I feel like the Pixar and Marvel acquisitions gave him the confidence to sign over control of his company. With the deal, he is getting paid in cash and shares of DIS stock. This will allow him to stay involved, though less directly, as opposed to selling the company outright.

Lucas will stay involved as a creative consultant for the next Star Wars films, until he feels he is no longer needed.
Old 11/1/12, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Enfynet
I'm surprised no one linked to the Disney press release on the sale:
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Some key notes:

I think this is a great thing for both sides. Lucas wanted to see his intellectual property in the hands of someone he could trust. I feel like the Pixar and Marvel acquisitions gave him the confidence to sign over control of his company. With the deal, he is getting paid in cash and shares of DIS stock. This will allow him to stay involved, though less directly, as opposed to selling the company outright.

Lucas will stay involved as a creative consultant for the next Star Wars films, until he feels he is no longer needed.
Dark Horse Comics is probably screwed
Old 11/1/12, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dark Horse Comics is probably screwed
Didn't even know they were still around
Old 11/1/12, 11:50 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
As a long-time Star Wars fan, my mind was blown when this news came out. There had not even been a hint that any of this was going on and they did a great job of keeping the lid tight on this.

I always thought Lucas would hold onto Lucasfilm to his grave and I was doubly shocked to find out the mysterious, shadowy third trilogy was going to be made afterall. The Star Wars saga was originally slated to be 4 trilogies (12 movies!) before being pared down to 9 movies. It stayed at 9 until he got burned out after Ep.V and decided to somewhat haphazardly try to tie up loose ends at Ep. VI and call it quits (well, until the Prequel trilogy 20 years later).

At some point Lucas changed his tune and began insisting he never realistically planned a third trilogy and that it'd never happen. Before then, he had vaguely stated several times over the years that it would pertain to an older Luke Skywalker (which coincidentally would match perfectly with the 61 year old Mark Hamill of today) and his endeavors as a seasoned Jedi. We'll see if they stick to that long hinted formula. Ep. VII has been in development for at least several months now and apparently Lucas has written "treatments" of what this trilogy will involve. It has been said this will be an original story and NOT an adaptation of one of the many novel series, as some fans had speculated/hoped. Personally I'm just fine with that.

Oh, and you guys are n00bs. The classic X-Wing series is where it's at!

If the bolded is true, and I hope it is, I want NO SPOILERS. I gotta stay away from blogs and articles that could ruin the plot

And here's another super geeky thought that came into my head:

Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts....

MIND = BLOWN

Last edited by stangfoeva; 11/1/12 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11/1/12, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

If the bolded is true, and I hope it is, I want NO SPOILERS. I gotta stay away from blogs and articles that could ruin the plot

And here's another super geeky thought that came into my head:

Star Wars in Kindom Hearts....

MIND = BLOWN
OOPS SORRY
Attached Thumbnails Disney Buys LucasFilm - New Star Wars in 2015-image-3648077031.jpg  
Old 11/1/12, 12:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

yub yub
Old 11/1/12, 12:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Old 11/1/12, 01:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Lucas made off like a bandit while Disney will do the same in the near future.

Too bad the Denver Broncos weren't as savvy with Peyton Manning. I'm sure they cost the same. Lol

Quick Reply: Disney Buys LucasFilm - New Star Wars in 2015