Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

COMPUTER HELP?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/04, 10:36 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

when i turned the computer on the imgaes on the screen looked fuzzy... so i turned the screen off... when i turned it back on it looked normal... but then my anti-virus program (McAfee) popped out saying it caught a virus... so i deleted the virus/file, and suddenly everything on the screen went black and in a second reappeared UPSIDEDOWN!!!!!!
i tried turning the screen off, running the anti-virus again, re-starting and turning off the computer... nothin'!
so, i had to turn the screen upside down so everythin on it can be seen correctly...

does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem???!!!

thanks for your attention
Old 12/3/04, 11:48 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
strange. did u try using adaware 6.0 or sumthin to remove corrupted stuff? might help
Old 12/4/04, 12:00 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
first off. Make sure you have the latest updates for your virus scan. You can download the latest definitions through your virus scan software.

I also recommend downloading and install Ad-Aware SE. Its available here: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...tml?tag=lst-0-2

Also you need to download Spybot S&D 1.3. Its available here: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...tml?tag=lst-0-2

Now that you have everything downloaded. Install Ad-aware, once its installed, run the program, go to the updater and download the latest updates for it, then run the program and let it delete anything it finds.

Now install Spybot. Once its installed, run the updater, download all new updates. Now go to the Immunize part, let it scan, then choose immunize (this blocks over 23000 ad supported sites and pop-ups, trust me its a good thing). Now go to where it says search and destroy and tell it to search. let it delete anything it finds.

Now what you need to do is shut your computer down, turn it back on and at the Windows pop-up screen, hit F8. It should come to a black screen asking what mode you want to start in. Choose Safe Mode. Your computer is going to load into safe mode, which is the most basic way of windows can run. it doesnt load any programs or drivers it doesnt need. While in safe mode, run your virus scan, ad-aware and spybot to see if they get anything else.
Old 12/4/04, 12:05 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Scothew@December 4, 2004, 12:03 AM
first off. Make sure you have the latest updates for your virus scan. You can download the latest definitions through your virus scan software.

I also recommend downloading and install Ad-Aware SE. Its available here: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...tml?tag=lst-0-2

Also you need to download Spybot S&D 1.3. Its available here: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...tml?tag=lst-0-2

Now that you have everything downloaded. Install Ad-aware, once its installed, run the program, go to the updater and download the latest updates for it, then run the program and let it delete anything it finds.

Now install Spybot. Once its installed, run the updater, download all new updates. Now go to the Immunize part, let it scan, then choose immunize (this blocks over 23000 ad supported sites and pop-ups, trust me its a good thing). Now go to where it says search and destroy and tell it to search. let it delete anything it finds.

Now what you need to do is shut your computer down, turn it back on and at the Windows pop-up screen, hit F8. It should come to a black screen asking what mode you want to start in. Choose Safe Mode. Your computer is going to load into safe mode, which is the most basic way of windows can run. it doesnt load any programs or drivers it doesnt need. While in safe mode, run your virus scan, ad-aware and spybot to see if they get anything else.
thanks a lot scott. im gonna print your instructions and do it early tommorow morning. i really want to get this stinker fixed. thanks!
Old 12/4/04, 12:23 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Do you happen to remember the name of the virus it found.
Old 12/4/04, 12:28 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

If you dont, your virus scan should have a log part and you can find out.
Old 12/4/04, 12:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 668 Likes on 542 Posts
go to www.sarc.com and do a search in the Virus Encyclopedia (it's near the bottom of the page) on upside down. Betcha you find it.

As a matter of fact, I bet it's this:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ke.flipped.html

I would like to point out that if you have an Intel Extreme Graphics chip, you may have hit some combination (like Ctrl-Shift-stick your tounge out-cross your toes-F27 or something like that) that allows the screen to flip like that. Irrirtates the heck outta me. Go into your display properties and check into that. I would tell you, but *I* don't have one of those sorry things. Oh sure, for company workstations, they're ok, but Quake? Flight Sim? Riiight...

Good luck on that, hope that helps.
Old 12/4/04, 12:52 AM
GT Member

Turn your screen over lol
Old 12/4/04, 10:09 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by schmalex@December 4, 2004, 12:55 AM
Turn your screen over lol
yea that's what i did LOL
but it looks darker looking at it this way
Old 12/4/04, 04:09 PM
I'm people, and I like.

OMG!!!!!!!!

it took me about 4 hours to go through all of the anti-virus and pop up blockers then to go to safe mode and run them again... it did find a bunch of stuff it hadnt before... BUT it didnt fix the problem.... so i go back on and follow MIKEYB'S idea.... and guess what?!?!? IT WORKED!!!! LMAO...
it took me 2 minutes!!! :bang:

oh well... thanks guys!!! Thanks, Mike! and thanks, Scott, for helping me remove more viruses and pop ups that could have done harm
Old 12/5/04, 12:24 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Yeah MikeyB's suggestion is what I was getting at when I asked what virus it had found.
Old 12/5/04, 01:44 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just thought, lucky you dont have a laptop!!!! geez that woulda stinked with this problem Lol