Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Computer glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/11, 11:00 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Computer glasses?

Okay, so lately i've noticed when i'm really tired and at my computer, my eyes seem to have a difficult time focusing and the room begins to spin, creating a dizzy effect. However, looking away from the monitor and giving my eyes a few seconds to adjust, i'm fine! I was hoping someone could share a little insight if they've got a similar issue? I need to make an appointment with a doctor to have my eyes checked, but that probably won't be a while so I come to you TMS'ers to be my doctor!

I've heard about "computer glasses" in the past, which look like shooter's glasses. Anyone heard of this? I stare at a computer monitor all day at work, then come home to do homework and watch movies or whatever, so its fair to say I spend most of my days in front of monitors. Has anyone ever tried these glasses? My vision is still 100% everywhere else so I doubt its just a "getting older" type of thing.

Help!
Old 9/26/11, 11:35 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 9/27/11, 02:20 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I had that starting back in 98 @42. Would get really tired after a few hours on the screen. Got mild reading glasses and that helped for a few years. Doc said I had the beginning of whatever distorts the eye for up close. Forget the term.
Now I need readers about 1.75 for just about everything from reading to computer to woodwork, but my far vision and driving vision is fine (although reading the Bullitt speedometer/tach in those dark tunnels is a bit blurry). I need 2.0 - 2.25's for fine print reading.
So I really need to get real glasses.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/27/11 at 02:21 AM.
Old 9/27/11, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
yep it may be time for some reading glasses. Never heard of glasses just for the computer.
Old 9/27/11, 07:01 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
I've heard of computer glasses and I think they have a variety of frames for them these days, not a lot of variety but at least some variety. They may help you, wouldn't hurt to wait and see what the doc says. I have trouble reading anything anymore without reading glasses. I'll consider myself lucky though since everyone in my family as worn them for years and I've only started with them in the last few years. I've worked at a computer for too many years to mention and if I'm not on the computer, I usually have my nose stuck in a book. But I chalk my problem up to "getting older"
Old 9/27/11, 08:18 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
What kind of monitor are you using mostly Gini?

Way back in the day when my company was too cheap to get good monitors, and we had the older CRT's... staring at them for hours would give me the worst headache. Once I moved up to a flat panel (non glossy) it helped tremendously. I then had a laptop with a nice glossy screen and it started giving me headaches again. Now all of my monitors (at home and work) plus my laptop all are non-glossy flat panels and life is much better.
Old 9/27/11, 09:34 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Staring at computers all day will start to mess with your eyes. Take a break every now and then. And if it's at night, leave a light on so your eyes aren't fighting with the dark in the room vs. the bright screen. Maybe you're just getting old... :P
Old 9/27/11, 11:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Staring at computers all day will start to mess with your eyes. Take a break every now and then. And if it's at night, leave a light on so your eyes aren't fighting with the dark in the room vs. the bright screen. Maybe you're just getting old... :P
This. Minus the last part.
Old 9/28/11, 10:15 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Scothew,

my monitors are non-glassy flat panels. I rarely ever use a computer without a light on. I don't watch more than an hour or two of tv every week and I never sit up close. It only really seems to be when I'm tired for whatever reason, so I'm not too worried about anything.

As for getting older....at 25, if anything, I'm only getting better.

Last edited by Antigini-GT/CS; 9/28/11 at 10:16 AM.
Old 9/28/11, 01:25 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

The whole light on vs off thing, to me, its easier on my eyes with the lights off in the room with the monitors on. That way I dont have to have the brightness up so friggin high on the monitor and I am able to focus on the screen more than other objects around that are at teh same brightness level. Maybe thats just cause i like living and working in a cave.
Old 9/28/11, 01:25 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
As for getting older....at 25, if anything, I'm only getting better.
Thanks for making me feel old
Old 9/28/11, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can only suggest to go get an eye exam. That is the only way to know for sure and hey maybe they can help you with the puter thing too.
Old 9/28/11, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I thought staring at **** on computers and doing that kind of thing only made boys go blind. I didn't know it happened to chicks too.

Old 9/28/11, 08:13 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I thought staring at **** on computers and doing that kind of thing only made boys go blind. I didn't know it happened to chicks too.

It won't make you blind. I promise. I've tried.
Old 9/29/11, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Room spinning is not normal or a symptom of presbyopia. Diabetes run in your family?
I recommend you monitor your blood pressure immediately.
Old 9/29/11, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

I don't see many 25 year olds in my practice, but doubt what you're describing represents hypertension or diabetes. Unless you're quite overweight, you'd likely be faced only with Type 1 diabetes, and typical symptoms involve frequent urination, increased thirst, and weight loss. High blood pressure doesn't always have symptoms, but you can check yourself at the grocery or drugstore, under 140/90 is fine.
Get an eye check at a local cheap eyeglass store, they'll tell you if your vision needs correction.

Most likely you need more sleep and less time in front of the TFT.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 9/29/11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 9/29/11, 09:53 AM
MOTM Committee Member

My friend had some of those "computer glasses" you're talking about. They're tinted a some shade of yellow and its supposed to reduce eye strain. Dunno much more than that though unfortunately
Old 9/29/11, 12:14 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll have to see a doctor since I haven't had my eyes checked in years anyway, but at this point since it doesn't happen too often, i'm going to chalk it up to be exhausted and spending far too much time browsing TMS talking to you people.

To answer a couple questions, yes diabetes does run in my family but my father was just recently diagnosed though he remains 100% healthy with a slight diet change and my mother does not have diabetes. My brother is borderline, but he doesn't exactly eat as he should to be honest. I have cut soda out of my life for good, I rarely have candy and I try to keep a medium in my diet, even though I love fast food. I maintain a steady/healthy weight and do a lot of walking/carrying items with my job, so I get regular exercise. My blood pressure was just monitored a couple weeks ago at the dentist and I was A okay even though I have pure fear of the evil tooth man.

Oh, and I wasn't calling you old, or didn't mean to, Scothew. I just know at 25 the last thing I am is old. Ask my boyfriend.
Old 9/29/11, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

maybe adjust the brightness on your screens?
Old 9/30/11, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
do a lot of walking/carrying items with my job, so I get regular exercise.
That's not really regular exercise -- it's regular physical exertion.
Exercise is designed to increase your heart rate, breathing rate, etc, ie make you work, hard, for a steady, extended period.

Most people I know in their regular work activities try to do the exact opposite.

Common misconception, though.

Current recommendations say 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week, to MAINTAIN your body weight.
Another one I've heard is, you only have to exercise on those days that you eat.

Quick Reply: Computer glasses?