Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Commercials!? XM listeners UNITE!

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/06, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercials!? XM listeners UNITE!

On the way home today listening to channel 22 on XM, I heard a 30 second Office Depot commercial, complete with the annoying-*** "Taking Care of Business" song that they have overplayed for years....

What the hell is going on? How can this be happening? I propose we do something about this BEFORE it gets to what cable TV is today.

For those of you who are old enough to remember... cable TV used to be commercial-free. Now, it has as many (if not more) commercials than public TV.

Many of us use XM radios through their built-in FM transmitters. We are not paying for CD quality music... we are paying for music without advertisements.

Let's unite and come up with ideas to stall this action on XM's part before it's too late!! Fill this thread with suggestions. We are the customers. Let's be heard!!!
Old 5/23/06, 03:25 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh, it's only four channels: Mix, Sunny, Nashville and Kiss. Guess who owns those channels, Clear Channel Communications. Remember them, their the same people who ruined FM radio. Thats right, XM did a big boo-boo and signed a contract with XM for those channels, but judging by customer reaction they will drop those channels as soon as the contract is up. It's the same thing that happened to the VH1 and MTV channels (which I particularly liked).

You can call customer care and have those channels blocked from your radio. That way you'll never unknowningly contribute to CC ratings for "commercial" channels.

EDIT: For reference these channels are noted as "Regional News and Talk" indicating they are NOT music channels. XM does NOT play commercials on music channels. Clear Channel is forcing XM to play commercials on 11, 21, 22, and 24 so XM changed their designation. Channel Listing
Old 5/23/06, 03:59 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Those four suck anyway. So Does Clear Channel- I have those channels blocked off my XM now(along with the 80 other aggravating ones but that's another story).

today I heard that annoying commercial too and was like WTF and quickly switched back to Top Tracks(which is like air to me).
Old 5/23/06, 04:07 PM

For future reference if you do block the Clear Channel stations on XM, the following XM COMMERCIAL FREE stations will replace the ones your are currently listening to:

#17 US Country replaces Nashville
#26 Flight 26 replaces The Mix
#30 XM Hitlist replaces Kiss FM
#78 Escape replaces Sunny
Old 5/23/06, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

@sendero

Thanks for the good information. I'm glad I have a choice in the matter. I will call XM today and have those channels blocked!
Old 5/23/06, 04:17 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by Sendero
For future reference if you do block the Clear Channel stations on XM, the following XM COMMERCIAL FREE stations will replace the ones your are currently listening to:

#17 US Country replaces Nashville
#26 Flight 26 replaces The Mix
#30 XM Hitlist replaces Kiss FM
#78 Escape replaces Sunny

WTF? I already have those channels- I only blocked mine manually so they wouldn't display because I do not listen to them.
Old 5/23/06, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by flapjack
Thanks for the good information. I'm glad I have a choice in the matter. I will call XM today and have those channels blocked!
No problem. I spend a lot of time in the Cobra, so XM has become my lifeline (besides my entire 200GB MP3 collection). I've kept tabs on this closely considering what might happen if more CC stations pop up.

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
WTF? I already have those channels- I only blocked mine manually so they wouldn't display because I do not listen to them.
Yes you WILL have those channels. XM added/changed those channels in response to customer complaints about the CC stations. In other words, they are saying: We know you don't like commercials, we don't like Clear Channel forcing us to play these commercials. So in the meantime before their contact runs out listen to these channels.
Old 5/23/06, 04:51 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Thx
Old 5/23/06, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Amen I thought it was and they say it so record it for posterity and I'm in on the fight !
Old 5/24/06, 05:13 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I actually just got XM back in the car last week. I got a wireless Audiovox unit. No Dash Cracking involved.

Top Tracks has been my constant companion since 2003 when I got Xm for the first time. Man things have changed- My original Skyfi + car kit cost me over $200(first 100,000 subscibers I was) and I got out for under $80 for all this time.

I have been getting my XM fix on Directv and through the PC.

I too wish they would bring back MTV and VH1. Kiss used to be Kiss FM from La, it didn't suck so much back in the day.
Old 5/24/06, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like the Purchase advertising on XM NOT !
If you have questions on how to operate your radio please refer to our online manuals before contacting us.

Please choose a category:

Satellite Radio Listener Care
Activation
Equipment
Technical Problem
Service
Billing
Account Changes
Online Activation

Programming / XM Channels:
XM Music Channels Questions and Comments
XM News Channels Questions and Comments
XM Talk Channels Questions and Comments
XM Sports Channels Questions and Comments
Interested in Working for XM Programming
Programs/Shows Requests
Unsigned Bands Interested in XM Airplay
Miscellaneous Comments/Questions
XM Radio Online Listener Care
XM Radio Online Billing Issue
XM Radio Online Technical Issue

Other Categories
General XM Questions and Comments
Get XM for your Business
Product Specifications/Configurations
Investor Relations
Purchasing Advertising on XM
Become an XM Retailer
Become an XM Commercial Dealer
Online Marketing Opportunities
Marketing Events & Sponsorships
Old 5/24/06, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

XM radio

http://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gifDoes XM have commercials?

http://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gif http://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gif All of XM Radio's music channels are 100% commercial-free.

http://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.xmradio.ca/en/faqs/images/spacer.gifDoes XM offer customer support?
This is in Canada and there ARE commercials ?
Old 5/24/06, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

My Reply

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting XM Canada.

All of our music channels are 100% commercial-free, but commercials may occasionally be played on the other XM channels that are provided by third party broadcasters (for example Fox News, CNN, MLB Home Plate and NHL Nome Ice). All XM channels will contain station identifiers which run approximately 5 seconds long. We have taken note of your concerns, however, and have forwarded them onto our Programming Department for consideration. Thank you for being a loyal listener and we look forward to many more years of providing you with our service.