Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Cloverfield

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/08 | 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Cloverfield

I went to see "Cloverfield" over the weekend. It was quite the thrill-ride. Filming it with hand-held cameras, while a bit disconcerting (and the case of my daughter, nauseating), made the movie more real and intense. Did anyone else see it?
Old 1/21/08 | 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought it was great. I guess if you are prone to motion sickness it would be annoying, but i thought that movie Syrianna was bouncier and it wasn't shot with handycams.
It has everything a good movie should have:
1. Mass Destruction
2. People getting eaten
3. Explosions
Old 1/21/08 | 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Budders
I thought it was great. I guess if you are prone to motion sickness it would be annoying, but i thought that movie Syrianna was bouncier and it wasn't shot with handycams.
It has everything a good movie should have:
1. Mass Destruction
2. People getting eaten
3. Explosions
Yep!

We're going to see it again this weekend because I've heard there are subtle clues throughout the movie, especially at the end where they show the footage of Rob and Beth at Coney Island.
Old 1/21/08 | 09:51 AM
I Have No Life

I started a topic on Blair Witch VS Godzilla yesterday....but the board was screwed.

Loved it....pushing asside any motion sickness.
Had to look away occasionally to get my eyes to focus again...
Old 1/21/08 | 11:51 AM
I'm people, and I like.

i loved it as well... love how the monster isn't completely shown for the whole movie. just made it that much more suspenseful and scary for me.
and the way they finally showed it, just straight out not expecting it, was awesome as well.

and i heard about the final footage of rob and beth at coney island, something in the water. what else is there to look for?
might just have to see it again as well.
Old 1/21/08 | 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
i loved it as well... love how the monster isn't completely shown for the whole movie. just made it that much more suspenseful and scary for me.
and the way they finally showed it, just straight out not expecting it, was awesome as well.

and i heard about the final footage of rob and beth at coney island, something in the water. what else is there to look for?
might just have to see it again as well.
I'm not really sure. JJ Abrams is known for dropping little clues in here and there. Go back and watch old episodes of "Lost" and you'll pick up on all kinds of stuff that you probably didn't notice the first time around.
Old 1/29/08 | 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

This movie was awesome! I want to see a sequel focusing on the same events from another point of view, ex. the military, the news channels, another group of people.

So many possibilities!
Old 1/30/08 | 10:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I finally saw it (watched it online ), and I gotta say, I wasn't impressed!. Didn't like the ending. Now if they make a sequel and does what titanjc mentioned, the story from a different angle and also has a followup story and shows a good shot of the creature, then I may change my review. Just glad I didn't pay $10 to see it. I may have be more disappointed.
Old 1/31/08 | 08:33 AM
I Have No Life

Wanted a fairytale ending did we?

I liked the ending....

And the idea is..that thing in the movie was the baby
Old 1/31/08 | 09:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Wanted a fairytale ending did we?

I liked the ending....

And the idea is..that thing in the movie was the baby
The only thing I've seen on the news is how people are chuckin' due to the way it was shot!.......... did Ya puke!...
Old 1/31/08 | 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

No one i went with mentioned motion sickness, but I guess if you barf easily it could happen.
Old 1/31/08 | 01:39 PM
I Have No Life

I just looked away for a second to refocus.
Then it was ok.
Old 1/31/08 | 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I finally saw it (watched it online ), and I gotta say, I wasn't impressed!. Didn't like the ending. Now if they make a sequel and does what titanjc mentioned, the story from a different angle and also has a followup story and shows a good shot of the creature, then I may change my review. Just glad I didn't pay $10 to see it. I may have be more disappointed.
I think you may have actually liked it better if you saw it in the theater. It's one of those movies where the impact would definitely be lessened by watching it on a smaller screen. For me at least, part of the enjoyment was seeing it on opening night with a theater full of people who, just like me, had no idea what they were in for.
Old 2/1/08 | 03:36 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by titanjc
I think you may have actually liked it better if you saw it in the theater. It's one of those movies where the impact would definitely be lessened by watching it on a smaller screen. For me at least, part of the enjoyment was seeing it on opening night with a theater full of people who, just like me, had no idea what they were in for.
So very true... i told my wife the same thing after we saw it.
Old 2/4/08 | 11:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I enjoyed it, yeah the hand held camera stuff was disconcerting but Jessica Lucas (Lilly Ford) made up for it!
Old 2/9/08 | 01:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

woul anyone take an adapt 11 year old to it ? my son keeps pushing me to take him but it looked somewhat goreish, but if we have a barf bag & gravol we should be ok by the sounds, would he have nightmares ? Thank-You.
Old 2/10/08 | 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
woul anyone take an adapt 11 year old to it ? my son keeps pushing me to take him but it looked somewhat goreish, but if we have a barf bag & gravol we should be ok by the sounds, would he have nightmares ? Thank-You.
It's not that gory. There's a couple of quick scense but I've seen worse on TV. However, it is VERY intense. Nightmares are a possibility. I took my 15 YO to see and she loved it.
Old 2/11/08 | 07:45 AM

going to see it tonight...
Old 2/12/08 | 11:20 AM

Wasnt bad...I thought it was as good as I Am Legend...which wasnt great..but worth the money. I enjoyed it.....I like the the movie was taped over other footage from the month before and at the times were they stop recording it goes to that footage for a few seconds....
Old 2/13/08 | 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
Wasnt bad...I thought it was as good as I Am Legend...which wasnt great..but worth the money. I enjoyed it.....I like the the movie was taped over other footage from the month before and at the times were they stop recording it goes to that footage for a few seconds....
Did you notice in the footage at the end when they're at Coney Island, you see something fall from the sky and land in the ocean in the background?