Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Camera catches Fla. officer going 120 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/11, 06:22 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UNDATED -- Dramatic dash-cam video of the speeding arrest of a Miami Police officer by a Florida Highway Patrol trooper was released by authorities Monday. Officer Fausto Lopez, 35, was taken into custody on the morning of October 11 as he was driving south on the Florida Turnpike near Hollywood Boulevard in Broward County at around 120 mph, according to the FHP. In the FHP video, the marked Miami Police car, allegedly driven by Lopez, is seen weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds as FHP Trooper D.J. Watts gives chase with lights and sirens blaring. It takes nearly seven minutes before the car finally pulls into the median and stops. That's when the female FHP trooper comes out with her gun drawn and barking orders at Lopez.

"Put your hands out that window right now! Put your hands out the window! I'm serious," Watts yells. "Get out, get out of the vehicle! Turn around, turn around, right now!"

The trooper pushes Lopez up against his car and handcuffs him behind his back, and Lopez begins pleading with her to try to get out of trouble.

"Ma'am, I apologize, I was on my way to an off-duty...I'm late for work," says Lopez, who is still wearing his uniform. "I didn't know you were stopping me, officer."

"What? You're over 120 miles per hour!" Watts replies.

"I never saw you," Lopez says.

"How do you not see a car with blue lights in the dark?" Watts asks.

"Ma'am, with all due respect, I don't..." Lopez begins.

"You don't respect me sir, you don't respect these people out here," the trooper says.

Lopez tries to explain that he was on his way to an off-duty job at a Coconut Grove school.

"It's a private school but there's some high-end people there. I had to get there by 7 o'clock and I didn't think I was gonna make it," he says.

At one point, he begins to complain about the handcuffs around his wrists.
"Honestly, the handcuffs are not necessary ma'am, I'm very cooperative," Lopez insists.

"You know what, to me, you are a criminal," the no-nonsense trooper replies.

"You scared me to crap. I thought that police car was stolen.

"I'm a police officer, I would never handcuff you, never, another police officer," Lopez says.

"You would never catch me doing this, trust me on that one," Watts replies.

Watts then seems to imply that other Miami cops also speed through the area.

"This is not a first time occurrence with y'all. Y'all come from that way all the time, this Miami police car and we never catch it," she says. "It's not excusable, there's no job, no off-duty job, nothing that important."

Lopez was criminally charged with reckless driving and later released.
FHP is still investigating.

(Copyright 2011 NBC News Channel. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Last edited by 07S197; 11/1/11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11/1/11, 07:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
She sounds like a really good cop. The amount of courtesy cops give other cops and their families is a little ridiculous.
Old 11/1/11, 07:25 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 619 Likes on 445 Posts
Saw this vid today. I love it, we need more officers like her. She deserves a promotion.
Old 11/1/11, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professional courtesy is something that always gets stretched a little too far...there are 2 types of officers that will very commonly kick professional courtesy right out the window 1) Young Troopers(especially in NC) and 2) woman...get both of those and you're screwed...
I'm not saying what she did was wrong I'm simply stating my observations over the years...
Old 11/1/11, 11:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to get a professional courtesy is one thing.. but to expect it is another.
Old 11/2/11, 06:31 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one should expect it traveling at that speed, 80-90 might have been one thing. But 120+ is flat out crazy, and then to beg like a baby and give the excuses he did are just pitiful.
Old 11/2/11, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

One other thing about professional courtesy. FHP gives a rats *** what any city officer thinks of them. State Troopers are pretty hardcore about being badasses. The one thing I was amazed about was the cop not having his lights going if he was trying to get someplace in a hurry.
Old 11/2/11, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
Wow good stuff. I'm glad she is out there. Great vid. Its too easy to mess up at 120 on the free way
Old 11/2/11, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
One other thing about professional courtesy. FHP gives a rats *** what any city officer thinks of them. State Troopers are pretty hardcore about being badasses. The one thing I was amazed about was the cop not having his lights going if he was trying to get someplace in a hurry.
He was simply going that fast because he thought her could....

I was in NO way defending his actions it's quite ridiculous what he did...I was just stating the way it was....
Old 11/2/11, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Shelby08
Professional courtesy is something that always gets stretched a little too far...there are 2 types of officers that will very commonly kick professional courtesy right out the window 1) Young Troopers(especially in NC) and 2) woman...get both of those and you're screwed...
I'm not saying what she did was wrong I'm simply stating my observations over the years...

lol...I agree with you

I wonder what her co-workers think of what she did??
Old 11/3/11, 12:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
She sounds like a really good cop. The amount of courtesy cops give other cops and their families is a little ridiculous.
I totally agree. I used to work with a city police officers wife that got pulled over at least once a month. Of course they would just send her on her way and laugh about it. The rest of us would have to eat it. Now the state police in my state is a different story. I think they would write their own Mothers a ticket. I have very little respect for my local police but its like anything else. There are bad apples in anything.

They are mostly young punks that love to write tickets. My BIL was pulled over recently on a side street where the limit is 25mph and you just cant drive this slow on this road. He got pulled over for going 39 or something and the punk cop started to give him a lecture about kids playing ect....... He just cut him off and told him to STFU and write the ticket. MY BIL then proceeded to tell the young cop he had 3 kids and lecture him for being lectured. LOL Then he proceeded to tell him this ticket was nothing for him to pay which is wasnt. He is usually a calm guy but this really got under his skin. A young cop in his early 20's lecturing a older 40 something guy usually doesnt work too well. This guy found that out quickly. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when this happened. My BIL then called the police chief and gave him an ear full and admitted he was speeding but was not going to be talked down to like he was some sort of criminal.

This one ticket cost this young cop a bunch of grief I bet and it should have. Im not anti police at all but this guy got out of line and was on a power trip and this time he picked the wrong person to try to show his authority too. The police chief was sympathetic and said he would address the issue internally.

People make mistakes everyday but when the cops do things wrong it really makes the rest of us mad.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 11/3/11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11/5/11, 12:46 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CooBra07
Hopefully they thought it was appropriate in this case.
Old 11/5/11, 11:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CooBra07
lol...I agree with you

Most likely a lot from both sides. Some could see it her way and could see writing the ticket, but most probably questioned the being taken into custody. I've been there and done that and it only helps you get rid of the ticket a little easier

Originally Posted by chevys
I totally agree. I used to work with a city police officers wife that got pulled over at least once a month. Of course they would just send her on her way and laugh about it. The rest of us would have to eat it. Now the state police in my state is a different story. I think they would write their own Mothers a ticket. I have very little respect for my local police but its like anything else. There are bad apples in anything.

They are mostly young punks that love to write tickets. My BIL was pulled over recently on a side street where the limit is 25mph and you just cant drive this slow on this road. He got pulled over for going 39 or something and the punk cop started to give him a lecture about kids playing ect....... He just cut him off and told him to STFU and write the ticket. MY BIL then proceeded to tell the young cop he had 3 kids and lecture him for being lectured. LOL Then he proceeded to tell him this ticket was nothing for him to pay which is wasnt. He is usually a calm guy but this really got under his skin. A young cop in his early 20's lecturing a older 40 something guy usually doesnt work too well. This guy found that out quickly. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when this happened. My BIL then called the police chief and gave him an ear full and admitted he was speeding but was not going to be talked down to like he was some sort of criminal.

This one ticket cost this young cop a bunch of grief I bet and it should have. Im not anti police at all but this guy got out of line and was on a power trip and this time he picked the wrong person to try to show his authority too. The police chief was sympathetic and said he would address the issue internally.

People make mistakes everyday but when the cops do things wrong it really makes the rest of us mad.
That is exactly what the problem is in a lot of cases. Most officers believe the badge makes you better than others, provides you with more wisdom, or makes you invincible....unfortunately most learn the hard way none of these are true.
Old 11/6/11, 03:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I was testing my new blower today and needless to say I was pulled over. But this cop was understanding down to earth and relatable. He let me go with a warning, but I learned my lesson better from the down to earth guy who let me go with a warning, than the power mad police who are quick to ticket.
Attached Images  
Old 11/6/11, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kjacobson351
I was testing my new blower today and needless to say I was pulled over. But this cop was understanding down to earth and relatable. He let me go with a warning, but I learned my lesson better from the down to earth guy who let me go with a warning, than the power mad police who are quick to ticket.
Surely you weren't going 120 though
Old 11/6/11, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Truth!
Old 11/9/11, 05:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New Video Of Troopers Speeding Shows Growing Inter-Agency War

November 8, 2011 11:28 PM

MIAMI (CBS4) – Recently released amateur video of two Florida Highway Patrol troopers apparently speeding down a highway appears to be the latest jab thrown at FHP.

CBS4 News partners Univision say the video was shot by an unidentified police officer, allegedly last Thursday on the Florida Turnpike and given to the press.

It appears to be a direct response to the video leaked last month of FHP Trooper Donna Watts pulling over and briefly detaining Miami Police officer Fausto Lopez at gunpoint for reckless driving while he sped to an off-duty job.

Law enforcement sources say that incident caused major friction between the agencies, and the new video of the speeding troopers appears to be the latest in the slugfest.

FHP Union President Bill Smith told CBS4′s Natalia Zea that his agency would investigate the speeding troopers, if the officer who shot the video would come forward with more information.

“Are your guys being targeted on the street by other officers?” Zea asked Trooper Smith.

“Well you start to get that feeling. You start to get that impression because troopers are not going out looking for police officers in marked cars or unmarked cars, that’s not our goal,” said Trooper Smith.

Rumors of street cops giving payback to FHP troopers abound, and in at least one case an FHP patrol car was vandalized.

Over the weekend, Miami City Commissioner-turned-trooper Joe Sanchez left his Miami home and later discovered his patrol car had human excrement all over the windshield and the side of the car. It appeared to have come from a Port-O-Potty.

“I think it’s just some disgruntled employees of other agencies, hopefully it’s not the City of Miami, I don’t know,” said Trooper Smith, adding that the incident is still under investigation.

Despite this brewing battle, Trooper Smith says everyone behind a badge will help each other when it counts.

“They might glare at each other but I really honestly think they’ll be back there to back each other up.”
http://www.google.com/gwt/x?noimg=1&...-agency-war%2f
Old 11/10/11, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Really? Vandalized by poop and it might be another agency? Ever get the idea it might just be some bratty kids or idiot adult that thought throwing crap on a cop car would be cool?

This will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I have cousins who are local LEOs for the NYPD and cousins who are Field Agents for the FBI in NY and they are ALWAYS ribbing each other. But if push came to shove they both admit, a badge is a badge and they will step in and back another LEO regardless of what uniform they wear. That being said of course if the person was in the right.. not some abuser or rapist hiding behind a badge. Then it's bring the SOB down.