Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Bombs in London

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 04:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Well, we were awarded the Olympics yesterday, today the terrorists gave a stark warning about their capabilities.

News is sketchy at the moment, but it seems they used small explosions to shut the underground train service, then bombed the busses the commuters got onto. It has been a few years since bombs in Britain, and now this....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...188265,00.html

(this was a double decker bus with about 80 people on it

A suspected bomb has ripped through a London bus just minutes after a series of blasts hit the city's Tube network.

Doctors say at least 90 people were injured at Aldgate Station, while Home Secretary Charles Clarke spoke of "terrible injuries".

A second explosion has been heard near the scene of the bus blast in Tavistock Square, near Euston Station. Union sources claim there have been reports of blasts on three different buses.

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

Another witness, Angie, told Sky news: "There were a whole lot of people around the bus. Next thing I was on the floor and there were a lot of people on me.

"I thought I was going to be crushed. The bus was ripped out at the back. It must have been a bomb."

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."
Old 7/7/05, 04:44 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
James, what a sick world.
I hope your family and friends are safe.
Old 7/7/05, 04:45 AM
GTR Member

I have spoken to the friends I have lliving in London, thankfully, none of them were invloved. Also, it was not in a tourist area, so hopefully tourists will not be involved either.
Old 7/7/05, 04:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That good to know, let's hope it is over.

The news here is reporting that they have found at least one unexploded bomb targeted at the first responding emergency units.

(Here in the Washington D.C. area, security has really ramped up.)
Old 7/7/05, 05:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So very sorry for all those poor persons injured or worse. You provided more information then we have in the stares. Thank you. My heart goes out to all of you. God Keep you, your loved ones and family safe.
Old 7/7/05, 05:04 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
James-

Was thinking about you and your family this morning as events unfolded here. Glad you, your family and frineds are OK.
Old 7/7/05, 05:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just watched the speech by Tony Blair. He believes it was due to the G8 summit. I hope everyone there you know is safe. I heard the terrorist centered it on the morning commute routes for people going to work. Sick. Take care James.
Old 7/7/05, 05:24 AM
GTR Member

Thanks for the messages guys.

PM TO RETURN TO LONDON

The Prime Minister has been kept in close touch with developments and made a live televised statement from the G8 summit at Gleneagles at noon.

Mr Blair said the attacks were apparently the work of terrorists designed to coincide with the G8 and described then as "barbaric".

He said he intends to return to London to see the situation himself and would fly back to Scotland later tonight.

Mr Blair said: "Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims and their families."

He said the people of Britain were more determined to defend the values they hold dear than the terrorists were to destroy them.

The summit will continue.
He said the people of Britain were more determined to defend the values they hold dear than the terrorists were to destroy them.

They had better bloody beleive it!
Old 7/7/05, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Take care James and keep your head down and your eyes open.
Old 7/7/05, 05:40 AM
GTR Member

Certainly will mate, hopefully it won't get up here, but you never know...
Old 7/7/05, 05:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Amen to that! If this does anything it will strengthen civilized countries resolve into kicking that **** together!! Then you have the leaders of key countries at the G8???? You know they will be talking about it and maybe start some things to strike back in some way.
Old 7/7/05, 05:41 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I think I wanna puke......

Fortunately My daughter is not in London right now but will arrive tomorrow...

I don't know what to do!!
Old 7/7/05, 05:44 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

This is her Hotel:
She's supposed to arrive back there Sunday:
Marriott Hotel 134 George St. London Phone 44-207-723-1277
fax 44-207-725-5924

Is that where it happened?
Old 7/7/05, 05:48 AM
GTR Member

No, I don't think so

AL-Queda claim responsibility :

A terror group linked to al Qaeda has claimed it carried out a series of terror attacks on London that have left a number of people dead and hundreds injured.

Two London hospital have reported a total of 185 wounded after a series of blasts hit locations across the city on buses and Tube stations.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there was evidence of explosives at at least one of the six sites.

Two people have been confirmed dead and at least 90 people injured in the explosion at Aldgate Station.

Prime Minister Tony Blair is returning to London from the G8 Summit in Scotland.

He said: "It's particularly barbaric that these attacks are designed to coincide with the G8 summit.

Old 7/7/05, 05:55 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

She is arriving back through Southhampton July 9 on the Sea Princess......

I have to figure out how to get her back home NOW!

She is due to arrive home Monday...BUT in light, I need her safe with me NOW.

I need to throw up.

I am so sorry it happened I hate to hear about anything over there, but it makes me especially sick when my baby is in possible danger.
Old 7/7/05, 06:03 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
April-

Glad to hear your little one is safe and hope you get her home safely.
Old 7/7/05, 06:19 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Holy Crap.
Now I have to worry something happens to Southhampton, Or another blast happens or there are air delays. Monday can not get here soon enough.

Ideally, I would like them to stop at the nearest port with air travel and get on a plane right NOW. This was supposed to be her trip of a lifetime-her Granddad wanted to show her Europe.

James- Glad to hear you and yours are safe. Stay that way.
Old 7/7/05, 06:20 AM
GTR Member

thanks
Old 7/7/05, 06:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

James
I just heard this on the radio about 20 minutes ago. My first thought was "Oh crap! James! I hope he's alright!"

Thank God your alright. I got this sick feeling in my stomach as soon as I heard the news. It was like reliving the WTC attacks all over again.

Please be careful, I almost lost a friend in 9/11 and I wouldn't want to lose a friend like you either.
Old 7/7/05, 06:29 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

James-
What's the best way to get info over there? They did not rent a car over there, and will be using the public transportation.

I need to make sure Ivy can make it back to London, stay in london for 48 hours safe and get to Gatwick safely Monday.

This whole terror thing makes me sick. My boss nearly died in 9-11(wtc 7 but was in 2 when the plane hit) and its like doing it all over again

Quick Reply: Bombs in London