Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Bad experience renting with Enterprise

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/05, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I rented a mid size car for a roadtrip, from Austin to El Paso, from Enterprise. I had always rented with them, they have always treated me well and I have had no problems with them even when one of their cars was detroyed when a tow truck ran a stop light and hit me, but thats another story.

The whole thing started off on the wrong foot when the car I had reserved was not available, even though I had made the reservation more than 2 weeks in advance. We had to go to a neighboring Enterprise location where I was given a luxury sedan instead of the mid size car I had reserved. Good way to conpensate for not having the car ready. As soon as I get the car I leave town, I work outside of Austin, and I plan to leave for El Paso right after work.

About nine hours later or so I get a call from the manager of the Enterprise location saying that they just got a call saying that the car I was driving was involved in a hit and run in Austin. I tell him that is not possible since I wasn't in, nor am I, in Austin and I am driving the car and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. The guy keeps asking me if I had been in an accident, have I lent the car to someone, etc. I tell him nothing like that happened. I chalk up the call to them trying to scare me to come back to the rental location and return the luxury sedan so they can give me the mid size. I wouldn't have done it anyway since I was hours away from Austin.

Somewhere between Junction and Fort Stockton, on I-10, I get pulled over for speeding. I was following two other cars that were going faster than I, but the cop decides to pull me over. I was doing 81 mph on a 75 zone, but at night the limit drops to 65. I was sure I would get a ticket, the officer asks me for my driver's license and if I have any outstanding tickets, warrants, convictions, etc (He doesn't even ask for registration) Couple of minutes later he comes back and tells me to slow down and have a nice night. I did slow down to 67 mph for the rest of the trip and saw a bunch of cars being pulled over on the way there. So I am glad the officer gave me that warning. Anyway, after being pulled over I am thinking had there actually been a hit and run report againts the car I am driving, there is no way the officer would have let me go. So my theory about Enterprise wanting the car I am driving back is starting to make more sense.

The next day I get a call from my insurance company. They want a statement from me as to what happened in the accident invovling Enterprise's car, since Enterprise has already filed a claim against my insurance. First off, why do file a claim on a vehicle I told you has not been in an accident? Second, how can you file a claim on a car you haven't even seen? My insurance company tells me to email pictures of the car if can get a hold of a digital camera. Getting the camera was no problem since I had one with me. Getting internet access was another thing, but I eventually do so. I call Enterprise and demand to know why they put in a claim on my insurance. The manager of the Enterprise office I rented from says he has not idea, he needs to contact the loss division for Enterprise and he will call me back. I remember that after my accident I delt with the loss divison and not the local office, so I calm down and give him some slack. He calls me back and says that the person that put in the claim is not in during the weekend, so he doesn't know why the filed a claim and more imortantly how can they without even seeig the car first. He apologizes for the inconvenience and says to call him back if I have any more trouble.

Today when I return the car, they look it over with a magnifying glass and reluctantly give me two free days for all hassel. They tell my Enterprise's loss division will contact me for a statement on the incident. The manager says that the police has a report that says a car with the license plates of the rental I had hit another car and left the scene of the accident.

After this, I don't know if would rent from Enterprise again. What kind of organization are you running where your employees get to basically comit insurance fraud?
Old 6/6/05, 12:31 PM
GT Member

i would start writing letters to enterprise's HQ and complaining.
Old 6/6/05, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

understanding that Enterprise got its information from a police dept may give them a reason to contact you, however, once you confirmed you had not had an accident, they should have then reported back to the P.D. and asked them to verify the plate again.

Im sure that Enterprise felt they were handling it correctly, but filing against your insurance before seeing the vehicle for confirmation is really jumping the gun.
Old 6/6/05, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@June 6, 2005, 1:19 PM
[font=Geneva][color=purple]understanding that Enterprise got its information from a police dept may give them a reason to contact you,

I don't think there was a police report. There is no way I would have been let go, with a warning, for doing 16 miles over the limit had there been a hit and run filed against the car
Old 6/6/05, 02:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's possible that the plate number was misread on the police report.
Old 6/7/05, 10:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would depend on the severity of the hit n run accident as to how fast and far the hit n run bulletin went. If it was something as serious as a fatality then it would go statewide quickly but, something minor would be just a city wide message on the computers until a hit n run investigator got the report a couple days later.
Old 6/8/05, 06:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Filing a report without seeing the car? That's a big :nono: That's filing a false report. Make sure you contact the police department and file a complaint of a false report against Enterprise.