Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Anyone good with computers?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/05, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I have been having this problem when trying to register my new copy of Mcafee Viruscan and Firewall. Everything went smoothly when installling it. But, when it comes time to register it, boy I hate this. I get this screen that says "you are in out system and all you need to do is click submit to resumbit your information." However, when I do that I get a script error message. It asks if I want to continue reading scripts on page, I click either yes or no and nothing happens. My Mcafee subscription runs out in less than a week. I don't know what to do! HELP!!!!!!!
Old 7/26/05, 03:13 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Havent ever seen that myself. Your best bet is to contact the vendor. http://www.mcafee.com
Old 7/26/05, 03:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have exactly the same problem installing updates to mcafee on AOL, even though it says there are script errors and stalls, if I try to re-install it, it says I have the latest definitions already installed. Wierd...
Old 7/27/05, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF you are using IE look at you script enabling options
Go to
tools,
internet options,
click on the security tab
click on internet icon then click on cusstom settings

make sure binary script behaviors is enabled
if it is "play with the other script enabling options. ( You may want to check with Mcaffe and see what they require)
Hopefully this helps!
Old 7/27/05, 01:08 AM
GT Member

Usually when all else fails, uninstall and then re-install.
Old 7/27/05, 07:37 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
and I think its things like this is why I use Panda Antivirus :P
Old 7/27/05, 07:40 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I got rid of AOL(the debbil) and got rid of all my script errors also.
Old 7/27/05, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
As stated before, contacting McAfee would maybe help, as well as a good Googling of the exact message.

Anything futher in this post is a Windows computer related thing You using a Mac? Ok, well, they never break, I've heard, so that can't be it. Linux? Right. We should be asking you, I think...

Joking aside....

Any script errors might be solved by downloading the MDAC 2.8 update and the Script 5.6 updates from Microsoft. I have them in my "toolkit" CD, and boy, they sure do come in handy.

The latest IE might be required as well. Funny how it has the stuff others use even if you never use the browser...

Also update your Flash and Java, as they're being used more and more. You can go to Flash.com and Java.com to do those.

Windows Update everything. EVERYTHING. Except maybe the drivers. Sometimes that can get messed up, especially the sound cards in 2000. Don't ask me why.

Oh, you did remove the McAfee before any of this right?

Go to Sarc.com or the Trend Micro Housecall (google) and so an online scan to see if you have a virus trying to prevent the install. They're tricky like that.

Um. It could also be a spytroadmalware installed, so you can either get Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware SE (both can be gotten from MajorGeeks.com) and *maybe* HijackThis (ditto), but it's kinda dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're running 2000 or XP, though, I would say get the Microsoft AntiSpy right off microsoft.com. It is really good, even if it's beta and it's going to stop working after 12-31-05. If you have a problem now, take advantage of it.

Ok I think that's about it. Hope that helps!