Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Any other beer snobs in here?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05, 06:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking through some threads from earlier this week at MTBR.com (mt. biking site) and found one on beer. I thought it would be a good time to take a picture of my current collection and create a new topic on here.

The first beer I truly drank (other than a sip every once in a while) was a Heineken about five years ago. My buddy loved the stuff, and I opened the fridge one day to find a box in the bottom shelf, holding a Heineken. I found it horrible and wondered how one could drink such swill.

Then the next year, I went back to a friend's house after a crappy test and drank a Michelob - IMO, it's not a horrible beer, and a decent one to start out with.

It was all uphill from there. I'm a pretty big beer snob now, drinking some favourites and trying some new ones all the time. I'm big fans of Belgian ales (Chimay Bleu, Rochefort 8, and Delerium Tremens), good wheat brews (Three Floyds Gumballhead, Hoegaarden), porters (Rogue Mocha Porter, Fullers London Porter), and good 'ol ales (Sierra Nevada, Stone Double large guy in Austin Powers, Rogue Dead Guy). IPAs and fruit beers (Dogfish Head's Aprihop and Raison d'Etre) are also tasty.

I'll drink Bud stuff if I'm at a bar with friends, but normally don't - I also stay away from the Guiness, Heineken, Harp, Bass, and Newcastle type stuff. Most imports recognizable by anyone on the street can't hold a candle to the better stuff from those countries.

Here's the current assortment. The top shelf are some I've kept because they're interesting, and a few on the third shelf down are empty and haven't been recycled, but the rest are full. It's pretty scary.

Old 9/25/05, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was going to say I enjoy a Sam Adams (Light) or a Heinie but you seem to have taken this to a new level.

Ever had Sapporo?
Old 9/25/05, 06:53 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by bigred0383@September 25, 2005, 7:55 PM
I was going to say I enjoy a Sam Adams (Light) or a Heinie but you seem to have taken this to a new level.

Ever had Sapporo?

Worst beer EVER.
Tastes like pee smells.
Old 9/25/05, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by bigred0383@September 25, 2005, 6:55 PM

Ever had Sapporo?
No, I've never tried that - I think the only Asian beer I've had is Asahi. I'll have to try some next time!

Sam Adams isn't bad - the bottle on the top shelf, second from the right is a Chocolate Bock they put out last year. Their normal stuff is good, too. Good choice!

Let me rephrase what I said about Heineken and the like - they're not necessarily bad, but sometimes there are better choices. But they can be hard to find.
Old 9/25/05, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sing Tao is a good Asian beer!
Old 9/25/05, 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Give Sapporo a try, I think you will like it.

They come in brown bottles with gold/black labels, or in really interesting looking tall aluminum cans.

April I am not sure what you had, but in my experience it hasn't been anything close to that.

On another note, how was the Black and Tan (assuming it is the same thing that you can get at the bar) compared to one made fresh?
Old 9/25/05, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob, just a guy with a taste for something different from Bud. There are lots of good domestic microbreweries producing some fine stouts, porters, and IPA's--my favorite. I brewed my own for a while--it was fun and they tasted good but I guess I got lazy and stopped doing it.

I like a stronger or hoppier flavor in beer. I'm not fond of wheat beer or those dainty little things flavored with honey or fruit. And I think drinking Mexican beer with lime like people do with that insipid Corona is for people with no taste buds.

Czech beer is great--so far I think they brew the best beer in Europe-- and next year I'll have a chance to try some Polish beer when I move there.

Kirin is my favorite Japanese beer, followed by Sapporo. Asahi has always tasted a little salty to me so I don't drink it these days. When I lived in Japan a long time ago I loved to go to the Kirin and Sapporo beer halls in Yokohama. Great beer, good food, and lots of fun.

I see you have a bottle of Anchor Steam in your collection. Eons ago when I lived for a year in San Francisco, the brewery was struggling and was thinking about shutting down. Then in a brilliant marketing coup they doubled their prices and the resulting sales were huge. People thought they were buying an exclusive beer, and with micorbreweries nonexistent, they were right. True story.

I think Grant's in Yakima WA was the first microbrewery beer that was available outside of the area in which it was produced. Talk about a trendsetter!

I won't drink light beer. Enough said.

But whatever your choice, enjoy your next brew!
Old 9/26/05, 01:21 AM
Bullitt Member

My picks:

North America
Gordon Biersch (USA)
Labatt Blue (Canada)
Molson (Canada)

Europe
Beck's (Germany)
Grolsch (Holland)
Harp (Ireland)
Heineken (Holland)
Lowenbrau (Sweden)
St. Pauli's Girl (Germany)

Japan
Orion
Asahi

Asia
San Miguel (Philippines)
Thai Beer (Thailand)
Tiger Beer (Malaysia)
Tsingtao (China)
Old 9/26/05, 01:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Am I the only one who is going to stick up for a light beer (said beer being Sam Adams Light)? I will throw it up against a full-bodied beer anyday.
Old 9/26/05, 02:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't drink, beer is the devil........
Old 9/26/05, 05:33 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by bigred0383@September 25, 2005, 11:20 PM
Give Sapporo a try, I think you will like it.
They come in brown bottles with gold/black labels, or in really interesting looking tall aluminum cans.
April I am not sure what you had, but in my experience it hasn't been anything close to that.

I had the can.......

I like red stripe....
And Petes Wicked anything.....Especially Wicked Winter Brew.
Old 9/26/05, 05:34 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by bigred0383@September 26, 2005, 2:49 AM
Am I the only one who is going to stick up for a light beer (said beer being Sam Adams Light)? I will throw it up against a full-bodied beer anyday.
I drink Bud light like water but I don't think that counts.
Old 9/26/05, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

I have had beer in Asia and in Europe and there are a couple that haven't been mentioned.

There is a beer from france Called Kronenburg 1664 which is the year they started brewing it. Very good.

My personal favorite which I started drinking after my trip to Europe is Warsteiner. Their Verum is very good and for those who like a dark beer they have a premium Dunkel. Both are excellent. Their motto is "Life is too short to drink cheap beer".
Old 9/26/05, 06:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Molson Canadian
Old 9/26/05, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't consider my self a beer snob either. I do try to drink many different varieties. In fact, my collection is over 500 bottles. I started in high school, and have been working on it for 15 years now. Makes for a PITA when I keep moving. I needed over 30 boxes (the ones you get with a copy paper) to pack all my bottles. They are all different and I have to drink it to put it on the shelf.

I do like Sam's Light. I was very surprised to find out it was a light beer.
Old 9/26/05, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GRAYPNY@September 25, 2005, 8:34 PM
Sing Tao is a good Asian beer!
Old 9/26/05, 03:35 PM
Queen Of Nascar

The best beer I have Ever had was Balashi in Aruba. mmmmmm...good!!
Old 9/26/05, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

CANADIAN! Good call John
Old 9/26/05, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paulaner Hefeweizen is about the only thing I drink anymore. I don't drink much to begin with, I can easily make a six pack last a year. Living in Germany for 2 1/2 years kinda got me stuck on German beer. I have tried Sam Adams and was impressed with the flavor though.
Old 9/26/05, 07:32 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am Canadian... and just about the only Canuck beer I can drink is moosehead... Blue and the Molson products are to "sweet" for me and I get a weird headache from them.

Hieneken does have a distictive "skunky" aftert aste, but I have found that drinking it out of a can you don't get that effect.

Some of my personal favorites right now: Stella Artois, Grolsh (I hate the radio ads), I also love Bavaria (the one from holland). Corona isn't really beer, but its an easy drink on a hot day.

Quick Reply: Any other beer snobs in here?