Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Any guitar players?

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/15, 06:56 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Any guitar players?

I'm a hacker/poser/cowboy-chord strumming wanna-be.

I didn't start playing until about 8 or 9 years ago in my early 50's. Even then it was only half-assed, and I lost interest the last few years. I was more enamoured with the idea of playing and owning guitars rather than actually learning to play. I could talk the talk, couldn't walk the walk.

I started up again recently, kind of from scratch for the second time. I had amassed a small number of really nice acoustics that were above my pay grade with higher value which I sold over the winter, and dumb-downed the herd to a pair of lower-mid level (but great quality) all solid-wood Martins and an inexpensive used Breedlove 12-string.

What's your story? How long have you been playing? Got pics of your gear?
Old 3/29/15, 08:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Been playing for a few months. Played Sax for 17 years, piano for 1 year.

I have a nice Taylor acoustic that sounds fantastic, but I mostly play my Squier telecaster classic vibe custom. Threw a Seymour Duncan P90 pickup in the neck position. Sounds fantastic for a $300 guitar...

I still suck but I'm getting there.
Old 3/29/15, 02:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I'm a hacker/poser/cowboy-chord strumming wanna-be. I didn't start playing until about 8 or 9 years ago in my early 50's. Even then it was only half-assed, and I lost interest the last few years. I was more enamoured with the idea of playing and owning guitars rather than actually learning to play. I could talk the talk, couldn't walk the walk. I started up again recently, kind of from scratch for the second time. I had amassed a small number of really nice acoustics that were above my pay grade with higher value which I sold over the winter, and dumb-downed the herd to a pair of lower-mid level (but great quality) all solid-wood Martins and an inexpensive used Breedlove 12-string. What's your story? How long have you been playing? Got pics of your gear?
I will be in your category eventually. I used to hack away in high school. I would love to learn and pick a few guitars up. I absolutely love the guitar and keep turning away from buying one since I really can't play. We have 4 guitars in the house now but two belong to the kids and two are my old ones from high school. Life just doesn't allow me to pick one up and start back up from scratch right now. Eventually I will have a very nice collection even if I can't play a lick. I'm completely fascinated with them.
Old 3/29/15, 06:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Sadly, all I can play is the stereo.
Old 3/29/15, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, I play in a local cover band and throw down some original work from time to time as well. Been playing since 1980 or so. I have a few guitars but mainly play an Epiphone Les Paul that I have replaced pretty much everything on. I play through a Line6 HD500 and a powered monitor for playing out. I want to get a tube amp but my Mustang has a small trunk and can barely fit everything I use now for playing out.

I also play keyboards and bass and have some of those, too. I'd have a drum set if I had the room. For writing I use one of my keyboards for the drum patterns. Oh, and I have a couple of old EV microphones for vocals.
Old 3/29/15, 11:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I played in an alt rock band in college in the mid 90s. Played a little guitar but in the band I played bass. Played guitar in a side band we had going. Had a great little trio and we all were great friends and loved spending the time learning covers and writing our own stuff. Eventually we all graduated and my wife and I had our first child so the band went it's different ways and I sold all my stuff to pay for formula and diapers.

A few years ago I bough a epiphone les Paul. Had an old leftover fender practice amp the lead guitarist left at my house. Like everyone else I need to relearn from scratch. I was a sloppy guitar player but back then the distortion was turned way up and the music so loud nobody seemed to care.

When I was a little kid my dad had an epiphone acoustic. Actually he still does. It's from like 1964 I think. Anyway he would play and I was always fascinated by it. He would play twinkle twinkle little star and I would sing. I was probably four years old at the time.

I'd like to get a Bass again and get a fender telecaster too.
Old 3/30/15, 12:07 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
My grandfather was a local celebrity musician. Old school honky tonk stuff. Played everywhere in town his entire life. One of his brothers and his son still play once a week in a local restaurant jam session he put together. My dad played for a while and two of my brothers are in bands. Every family get together there is someone strumming a guitar. My oldest son just recently picked up his guitar again too. I've been surrounded by guitarists my entire life and I can't remember how to play Stairway anymore. Lol. It's on my to do list when I finally get the chance.
Old 3/30/15, 07:25 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't play but always wish I could. Something about the great players making an electric guitar sing the way they do just makes my mouth drop open.

I'd like to buy an older Stratocaster and fix it up, seems like something I'd have a good time with.
Old 4/3/15, 04:09 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'll soon be 62 I have a 1984 Fender Katana i bought new, i retired it in 2004. Bought a new Fender Stratocaster American Standard. I thought i played (i love rhythm) just a little below average, until i saw youtube videos of 12 year old girls playing
Old 4/3/15, 05:28 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Been playing since high school and have been in bands with friends on and off since the early 80's. We are thinking of getting back together but life seems to be getting in the way. We played mostly originals and some covers here and there. I've had lots of guitars and have only one now. I'll never get rid of her. '81 Les Paul Standard.