Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Alligators in Fl.

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/16, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Alligators in Fl.

Not to make light of the terrible situation in Florida. But would you let your two year old play in the water where there are signs that say no swimming? Especially in Florida. I live in IL and know about alligators being prevalent in FL. I just think there are enough pools and beaches in Disneyland that I most likely would not mess around in the water other than dedicated play areas. I don't know the whole story and they may have been in an area where lots of people play at the waters edge. Reminds me of the kid falling into the gorilla cage a few weeks ago.
Old 6/15/16, 06:48 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Not to make light of the terrible situation in Florida. But would you let your two year old play in the water where there are signs that say no swimming? Especially in Florida. I live in IL and know about alligators being prevalent in FL. I just think there are enough pools and beaches in Disneyland that I most likely would not mess around in the water other than dedicated play areas. I don't know the whole story and they may have been in an area where lots of people play at the waters edge. Reminds me of the kid falling into the gorilla cage a few weeks ago.
'NO SWIMMING' signs seem very inadequate given the increase in Florida's alligator population. I guess Disney didn't want to post 'BEWARE OF ALLIGATORS' for fear of scaring their guests. I guarantee that there will be a massive lawsuit alleging that a safe play area wasn't provided that Disney won't win.
Old 6/15/16, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
poor kid died because of stupidity of his parents, stupid people that don't have knowledge of biodiversity in a given region. It's like going to Australia and not knowing there's a huge population of animals that are poisonous and deadly, but what the heck lets go barefoot through the bush.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 6/15/16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 6/15/16, 08:11 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I've been on that beach by the water. No swimming signs all over. It's a pretty big lake so I guess gators could be there undetected but Disney wouldn't allow a kid eater to remain in the lake. That being said, there's always somebody who thinks they're above warning signs. No swimming, no sitting on rail, no climbing, etc. it's like a sign that says I double dare you. If the sign on the beach said "harmful bacteria in lake", nobody would touch that damm water and that's the true reason the no swimming signs are there. Just a tragic situation courtesy of a really bad judgement call that those poor parents have to live with the rest of their lives. Shame.
Old 6/15/16, 08:19 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
poor kid died because of stupidity of his parents, stupid people that don't have knowledge of biodiversity in a given region. It's like going to Australia and not knowing there's a huge population of animals that are poisonous and deadly, but what the heck lets go barefoot through the bush.

I agree with you for the most part. But realistically how many of us really fully educate ourselves about these things? Common sense is what should dictate one's decisions. Frankly I don't think I'd anticipate carnivorous dangerous reptiles in an entertainment resort filled with rides, Tinkerbell, and animated Presidents.

In this case, a family goes to a resort advertised as the happiest place in the world. They expect and deserve a safe and friendly environment in fantasy land, and that's what Disney is supposed to provide. Disney knows, or should have known that alligators are a fact of life in Florida. It's Disney who has the responsibility of biodiversity knowledge, not the family who expects to leave there with happy memories instead of one less child.
Old 6/15/16, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
People who walk through life with their eyes and ears closed to the reality around them end up dead faster than they otherwise would. It's called life. This happened because the parents simply ignored reality. A child lost its life because someone decided the world didn't affect them the way it does everyone else.

Arrogance and ignorance are some serious, serious *****es sometimes.
Old 6/15/16, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Word Triple black
Old 6/15/16, 01:01 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I agree with you for the most part. But realistically how many of us really fully educate ourselves about these things? Common sense is what should dictate one's decisions. Frankly I don't think I'd anticipate carnivorous dangerous reptiles in an entertainment resort filled with rides, Tinkerbell, and animated Presidents.

In this case, a family goes to a resort advertised as the happiest place in the world. They expect and deserve a safe and friendly environment in fantasy land, and that's what Disney is supposed to provide. Disney knows, or should have known that alligators are a fact of life in Florida. It's Disney who has the responsibility of biodiversity knowledge, not the family who expects to leave there with happy memories instead of one less child.
Well its not like the gator snatched the kid out of line while waiting on the teacups ride. They were on the water's edge of a big lagoon (from what I saw online it must be at least 200 acres) which is connected to a lake that is over a mile across. Anyone that would think that a body of water that size in the middle of Florida wouldn't have alligators in it is either oblivious or a ****ing moron.

According to the State of Florida Wildlife officer I saw on the news earlier, Disney actually has their own dept of wildlife management, and have open permits to hunt and kill gators at will, anytime of the year, and they do kill them regularly.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 6/15/16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 6/15/16, 01:28 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
According to the State of Florida Wildlife officer I saw on the news earlier, Disney actually has their own dept of wildlife management, and have open permits to hunt and kill gators at will, anytime of the year, and they do kill them regularly.
Which supports my argument that Disney bears the responsibility here. They were aware of the danger potential but took no appropriate steps to warn or protect their guests. There's also a report that just 2 months earlier an alligator charged at a family from England, but thankfully no harm was inflicted. Had that been reported perhaps better safety measures could have been implemented.

A "No Swimming" sign in alligator infested waters is akin to placing a "Beware of Loud Noises" sign on a bomb range.
Old 6/15/16, 02:34 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Horrible, horrible story.
They found the boy. They are saying the body was intact. I'm assuming the alligator drowned the boy, but did not take any bites out of him. Horrible story.
Old 6/15/16, 02:50 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My wife told me about this and my response was "people need to watch their kids"

No way my 2 year old is playing anywhere more than 5 feet from me and certainly not next to or in a lagoon at night. Same goes for the woman at that zoo in Cincy a few weeks ago. Watch your **** kids people. Put down the Facebook and the Twitter and get your heads out of your asses and social media on your phone and watch your kids.
Old 6/15/16, 02:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
My wife told me about this and my response was "people need to watch their kids"

No way my 2 year old is playing anywhere more than 5 feet from me and certainly not next to or in a lagoon at night. Same goes for the woman at that zoo in Cincy a few weeks ago. Watch your **** kids people. Put down the Facebook and the Twitter and get your heads out of your asses and social media on your phone and watch your kids.
If what I just saw on the news is accurate, you are exactly right and the parents are more than a little to blame.

They said that the 2 year old was wading in the lagoon (at 9:16 PM which is dark in that part of Fl.) and the parents were at the pool area.

Here's the area notice how far the pool is from the lagoon. A 2 year old, in the dark, that far away, in FL where every body of water could have a gator.

Hope the link zooms in on the right area

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Di...880228!6m1!1e1

No way in hell my 2 yr old is getting that far away from me, especially near water, and damned sure not at night.
Old 6/15/16, 06:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
That is a pretty big distance to let a 2 year old wander away.
Old 6/15/16, 06:26 PM
Post *****

It could have been a **** child molester on the beach. That's why that **** happens a lot. When it's a story in the paper it's always some single mom who has some dude living with her that does it. Almost always. Well **** doesn't the mom share blame.

My kids don't leave my sight. Sure maybe they used to go to a daycare or school but we research those and there's an expectation. There's no expectation if I have some drug dealing Chester molestor shacked up in a one bedroom apartment with me and my kids.

****ing idiots
Old 6/15/16, 06:28 PM
Post *****

God forbid ANYONE USE ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY RELATED TO COMMON SENSE THESE DAYS
Old 6/15/16, 06:30 PM
Post *****

Neighbor down the street a few years ago would let his kids ride large adult sized ATVs without helmets. Big surprise one fell of the back hit his head and is severely brain damaged. I wanted to go down there and do the same to the father when he started asking people for money in the news.
Old 6/15/16, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
God forbid ANYONE USE ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY RELATED TO COMMON SENSE THESE DAYS
Neighbor down the street a few years ago would let his kids ride large adult sized ATVs without helmets. Big surprise one fell of the back hit his head and is severely brain damaged. I wanted to go down there and do the same to the father when he started asking people for money in the news.
I've given up on expecting, and now also hoping that my fellow human beings will make the effort to use common sense and pragmatism. If people can't be bothered to open their eyes and make themselves aware of the reality around them, they deserve whatever befalls them as a result.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 6/15/16 at 07:57 PM.
Old 6/15/16, 08:00 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14

So what you're saying is that it's okay they didn't follow the signs because there's not the right sign? Are you kidding me?

Play golf in the south, you don't go wade into the water for your golf ball, because there are gators in there that wouldn't think twice of having you for lunch. No signs needed, because people aren't supposed to be colossal dumbasses.

I feel bad for the parents, they'll have to live with guilt for the rest of their lives, but going to Florida and not thinking there would be gators around is ignorant enough that they should be sterilized so they can't reproduce.
Old 6/16/16, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Initially, I thought Disney wasn't culpable. Then I saw the picture showing a beach area with deck chairs on it for sun bathers. AYFKM?

Seems Disney has a deal with these gators to lure the humans close to the water's edge. This doesn't excuse the parents for being negligent. I'm sure that they would have acted differently had the sign said no swimming, alligators at beach.
Old 6/16/16, 06:47 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Initially, I thought Disney wasn't culpable. Then I saw the picture showing a beach area with deck chairs on it for sun bathers. AYFKM?

Seems Disney has a deal with these gators to lure the humans close to the water's edge. This doesn't excuse the parents for being negligent. I'm sure that they would have acted differently had the sign said no swimming, alligators at beach.
This is a classic case of what's known as strict liability in civil and insurance law. For example:

If a neighbor or his child is bitten by your dog, even if the dog is provoked, the homeowner is 100% liable. Period. The law assumes that you knew, or should have known, that a dog, regardless of temperament, can suddenly become dangerous for any reason. The Disney situation is no different.

The lagoon where this occurred was man-made by Disney or one of it's agents but is fed by natural bodies of water which are known to be inhabited by dangerous animals. Simply stated, Disney owns this for that very reason.

I can guarantee that this will happen: The case will never go to trial. Disney will settle with the family for an amount far greater than a jury would ever allow. There is no jury in the world that would find any degree of negligence on the family, and Disney wants this to go away as quickly as possible.

Quick Reply: Alligators in Fl.