Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War - Reviews, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/04, 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ace Combat 5.... cool graphics, cool sound effects, exciting story line... but some things just don't go together well with it. Your wingmen sound like hippies, CONSTANTLY whining about how the "hate" war and how any sort of violence is always "wrong." Sometimes you want to jump through the TV screen and scream, while throttling them: "THEN WHY, IN THE NAME OF GOD, ARE YOU A FIGHTER PILOT!?!?!"
Towards the end, the story sort of gets waaayyyy overblown and over-the-top. Really sappy stuff. Some of the plot twists COULD have been cool, if not for the totally unrealistic and non-militaristic attitudes of the characters. They even use that Puddle of Mudd song "Blurry" and it seems TOTALLY out of place for a flight combat sim. (singing) Explain again ta meeeehee.... why this song is in the this gammmmeee.... lol.
In the game, you can participate in the radio chatter by choosing to answer your wingmen's question with a Yes or No answer... it would have been a cool feature if they asked anything worthwhile. 90% of the time, they don't. They just sort of vent their feelings to you about the war and how much they hate it, and snap back at you if you don't agree. I almost felt like I was in college arguing with a pacifist professor. Then other times it's just meaningless jokes in the heat of battle. Once again, completely uncharacteristic of a military pilot, especially during combat.
I guess that's what you get for getting a war plot line out of a pacifist country like Japan. Sheesh.

Anyone else have a review of the game they would like to share?
Old 11/12/04, 09:25 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@November 12, 2004, 5:58 AM
Ace Combat 5.... cool graphics, cool sound effects, exciting story line... but some things just don't go together well with it. Your wingmen sound like hippies, CONSTANTLY whining about how the "hate" war and how any sort of violence is always "wrong." Sometimes you want to jump through the TV screen and scream, while throttling them: "THEN WHY, IN THE NAME OF GOD, ARE YOU A FIGHTER PILOT!?!?!"
Towards the end, the story sort of gets waaayyyy overblown and over-the-top. Really sappy stuff. Some of the plot twists COULD have been cool, if not for the totally unrealistic and non-militaristic attitudes of the characters. They even use that Puddle of Mudd song "Blurry" and it seems TOTALLY out of place for a flight combat sim. (singing) Explain again ta meeeehee.... why this song is in the this gammmmeee.... lol.
In the game, you can participate in the radio chatter by choosing to answer your wingmen's question with a Yes or No answer... it would have been a cool feature if they asked anything worthwhile. 90% of the time, they don't. They just sort of vent their feelings to you about the war and how much they hate it, and snap back at you if you don't agree. I almost felt like I was in college arguing with a pacifist professor. Then other times it's just meaningless jokes in the heat of battle. Once again, completely uncharacteristic of a military pilot, especially during combat.
I guess that's what you get for getting a war plot line out of a pacifist country like Japan. Sheesh.

Anyone else have a review of the game they would like to share?

funny stuff. very good review

p.s.
you got the best car in the forums
you gotta take more pictures of her
Old 11/12/04, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, man!
Oh, I have plenty of pics of her.. just not scanned onto the comp. PM me your email, and I'll send you some pics.
Old 11/20/04, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Loved Ace Combat 4 - Sorry to hear about the Political Correct crowd getting their "two cents" into the game. Fighter pilots whinning - what a crock! How do you compare to 4?
Old 12/5/04, 02:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, the graphics are are a marked improvement over Ace 4. The sound is light years ahead of Ace 4 as well. AI is a bit of a mixed bag. Some improvements, but one or two screw ups.
Unfortunately, I think I'd have to say that although Ace 5 is a better game from a technical stand point, I still enjoyed Ace 4 more due to the straight-forward story line and more realistic (or shall we say "non-partisan", lol) attitude of my virtual comrades. In my opinion, the hokey storyline and pushy pacifist attitudes of your wingmen tend to overshadow Ace 5's finer points.