General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Is your car faster than the police?

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 03:28 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your car faster than the police?

Most likly..

click to see how much faster you are then them...their cars not their radios sorry.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...p_182663_7.pdf

page 27 is where the comparison charts start.
Old 1/26/07, 03:30 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice find.
Old 1/26/07, 03:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
148 for the Charger......but I was thinking....I would not want to be going that fast in that Tahoe...
Old 1/26/07, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting find
Old 1/26/07, 04:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

The thing is with those cars except the charger and magnum probably, they are all electronically limited to much lower speeds in the civillian versions. Most newer civillian cars are limited to 110 or under. I'm sure the Tahoe is.

In fact I was involved in a pursuit the other day with a 90's Dodge Stealth and he was topping out at around 110 on the interstate at 2am. My 'Vic was able to not only keep up, but very easily pass him if I wanted to. He was getting kind of ****ed and tried to run me off the road when I tried to pass, so I just hung back for a while and let him crash. (it was raining at the time and he took a corner after he exited into town a little too fast...darn!) He was fine and got "helped" out of the car.
Old 1/26/07, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
In fact I was involved in a pursuit the other day with a 90's Dodge Stealth and he was topping out at around 110 on the interstate at 2am. My 'Vic was able to not only keep up, but very easily pass him if I wanted to. He was getting kind of ****ed and tried to run me off the road when I tried to pass, so I just hung back for a while and let him crash. (it was raining at the time and he took a corner after he exited into town a little too fast...darn!) He was fine and got "helped" out of the car.
So you're in law enforcement? I bet you've seen a lot crazy stuff on the interstates!
Old 1/26/07, 06:24 PM
Needs to be more Astony

The limiters on cars are mostly based on either what rating tires the car is sold with or the state the car is sold in.
Old 1/26/07, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've seen the Officers in St. Louis and in Minneapolis "helping" gentlemen out of their vehicles! Not a pretty sight!
Old 1/26/07, 06:39 PM

That was a good find. I found it interesting that the Tahoe had that much of a top end.
As far as governing vehichles go, that is pretty standard practice.
If you get an XCAL2 you can remove the speed limiter, but on a quarter mile run, how fast are you really gonna go?
As far as running from the police, bad idea!
Old 1/26/07, 06:48 PM
GT Member

doesn't matter how fast the car is without a quality driver. Most LE in this era have a considerable amount of trainig that the average driver will never dream of having.
Old 1/26/07, 08:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I've seen the Officers in St. Louis and in Minneapolis "helping" gentlemen out of their vehicles! Not a pretty sight!
Yeah, he didn't want to get out of the car, so he got helped!! With 3 officers armed with Tasers it was not such a good idea on his part to resist. He found out that he didn't like the Taser very much. (3 full rides before he decided to comply with our orders )

Originally Posted by hp246
doesn't matter how fast the car is without a quality driver. Most LE in this era have a considerable amount of trainig that the average driver will never dream of having.
Very true, not to mention the fact that it is MUCH easier to chase someone than be chased. When I'm 2-3 seconds behind someone, they can drive as aggresively as they want. I can just hang back and watch them take that corner too fast while I can slow down a bit and make it. Not only that, but panic driving to get away can actually slow you down. You don't see IRL or NASCAR drivers jerking the wheel around and deciding at the last minute whether to pit or not. It's a very smooth, controlled ride, and you can do that when you are following someone.
Think of it like this...Give a Fusion to Danica Patrick or Dale Jr , and give a Mustang GT to John Doe, put them on a road course. I would place my money on the pro driver even though (s)he has an inferior car.
Old 1/26/07, 09:00 PM
Needs to be more Astony

i couldn't beleive that the 3.55 rear end CV was slower accelerating then the 3.27 CV.
Old 1/31/07, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wow that is a surprising test. The 5.7 L Charger and Magnums are the only LE vehicles that would beat me in 0-60 even in my Subie. Put me in the twisties and I would be gone..... :P

Imagine a cop car trying to keep up with a WRX or even an STi!!!!

Not that I would ever do something like that. My buddy (a cop no less) would kick my rear!!!
Old 1/31/07, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Im kinda surprised the charger hit 148. Impressive.
Old 2/1/07, 02:32 AM
Closet American

He found out that he didn't like the Taser very much ... 3 full rides before he decided to comply with our orders
THREE hits...? What was he, a gorilla?
Old 2/1/07, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
THREE hits...? What was he, a gorilla?
That's what I was thinking!!! ..or was he doped up?
Old 2/2/07, 12:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

More like a little doped up, and VERY high on adrenaline. He just ran from the police for 20 minutes at 110mph in the rain, crashed twice with the second being vehicle disabling and banged up his knee a little. That's why he didn't run on foot I think. I "helped" him out of the drivers seat and onto the ground, but he didn't want to give me his hands and kept resisting. Not really trying to get away, just resisting. Anyway, my partner got tired of messing with him and pushed me out of the way while he shot him with the taser. After that was over we kept telling him to roll over and put his hands behind his back, and he didn't. After about 3 seconds of him failing to comply, partner pulled the trigger again and he got another hit. (the wires were still connected, so all it took is another trigger pull for a second 5 second ride) This time he squirmed around on the ground so much it dislodged the taser probes in his back. Once again, yelling at him to roll over and hands behind the back didn't work. He actually got up and stood there with his hands in the air. 3 officers (2 with tasers, one with .40 Glock pointed at his chest) yelling at him to get back on the ground and he just stood there. He actually was not resisting, but once again he was not complying with our orders and at that point I was done messing with the dude. I popped him with my taser and he got another 5 second ride. After that he was done, and basically couldn't move. No further problems!
Old 2/2/07, 12:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

http://www.taser.com/law/video/wmv/traffic.wmv

This video is great, the first guy is hilarious!!
Cop - "get on the ground or you're gonna get it again!!"
Drunk - "No"
Taser - "Zap Zap Zap Zap"

Our little situation was similar to this first video in that after getting tased once, the guy wasn't actively fighting anymore, he just wasn't listening to orders.

http://www.taser.com/law/video/wmv/bull.wmv This one is great too, a 1500lb bull gets tased by the same thing I carry, only a little higher voltage. I laughed my butt off when I saw this!!
Old 2/2/07, 01:31 AM
Closet American

http://www.taser.com/law/video/wmv/traffic.wmv

This video is great, the first guy is hilarious!!
Cop - "get on the ground or you're gonna get it again!!"
Drunk - "No"
Taser - "Zap Zap Zap Zap"

Our little situation was similar to this first video in that after getting tased once, the guy wasn't actively fighting anymore, he just wasn't listening to orders.

http://www.taser.com/law/video/wmv/bull.wmv This one is great too, a 1500lb bull gets tased by the same thing I carry, only a little higher voltage. I laughed my butt off when I saw this!!
I love that first guy. "I um naw wazisting awest."
Old 2/2/07, 11:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, not resisting ANYMORE!! "You friggin HAMMERED me!!"

Quick Reply: Is your car faster than the police?