General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Winter tire size??

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/14, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Winter tire size??

I really hope I'm posting in the correct area in the forum...

I've called around to a couple of local dealerships

I'm not confident with what info I've been given SO - I'm looking for more input as well...

I have 2014 Mustang V6 Premium with Performance pack added to the car. Most of you know that this includes 255/40R19 wheels with summer tires.

what I'm trying to find out is what kind of winter tire/rim can i get away with?

one dealership told me that I can use 225/60R17 (smallest size recommendation) and that should fit around the rotors fine and not have any issues.

another location told me that I should be able to go even narrower to 215/65R17

From past experience, service has told me that if I want snow tires, I need to size them up with what the car already has on normally. I personally think its silly and insanely expensive to try and size up winter tires for a 19" wheel!

any feedback is appreciated.

whooops. I wanted to add that I have searched the forum and did not find what I was looking for hence, this post.

Thanks.
Old 4/29/14, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out tirerack.com. They'll suggest all the different sizes available
Old 4/29/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

I have a Brembo GT on the factory 255-40-19s. For cold months I'll run 255-45-18 Nitto Motivo's on some Miglia wheels. Granted, not the best winter setup, but they do remakably well in moderate snow and keep it wide and grippy on the dry winter days.

The thing you need to worry about is overall diameter. Try to stay around 27". IIRC the performance pak only switches out the brake pads, so any OEM 17-18-19 inch wheel for the Mustang will fit over them. Someone please correct me if thats wrong. I'd pick your wheel first, than size the tire accordingly. Looks like 17's are on the block for you, so I'd say get some 235-55-17's (OEM size and availability) and you'll be set. Here's a good link for comparing tire sizes.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

There is NO reason to size up for a winter setup. I'd size down to lower the cost of wheels/tires, and I'd also go narrower in tire width to help the car track through snow. Well, *I* didn't do that, but that's good practice for winter setups.

Joel

Last edited by Godspeed302; 4/29/14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 4/29/14, 11:02 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Godspeed302
I'd size down to lower the cost of wheels/tires, and I'd also go narrower in tire width to help the car track through snow. Well, *I* didn't do that, but that's good practice for winter setups.

Pursuant to the tire meeting the load requirements for your vehicle when switching to a different size and speed rating tire. Especially if a person is not in the habit of cleaning off the snow on the vehicle which can add some considerable heft.
Old 4/29/14, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Absolutely, I figured that would go without saying. Anything that is an OEM available size like I am suggesting though will be just fine.
Old 4/29/14, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for your input guys! I do appreciate it. I think that I will likely just go with either the stock OEM 17" RIM size and or maybe go with the 225/60R17 size (depending on what I can find!) taking the load requirements into consideration... I'm sure that dropping down one size (225....) should likely be okay still.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 4/29/14 at 11:14 AM.
Old 4/29/14, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I would check to make sure 17's fit before purchasing, they may or may not fit. It's my understanding the perf package calipers are different (not sure if bigger).

I ended up with 18" wheels on mine (also a V6/perf pack), with 235/50/18 tires. That is only 0.3" larger diameter then the stock tires (theoretically, at least).

Another consideration in tire size is the load rating. Make sure whatever tire you get meets the load rating of the factory tires (or at least comes close). Thinner tires will have lower load ratings, generally speaking.